NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Mum died and now EE wants £500 to cancel her phone"

Go down

"Mum died and now EE wants £500 to cancel her phone" Empty "Mum died and now EE wants £500 to cancel her phone"

Post by Guest Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:13 pm

A woman from Leicester has claimed EE tried to charge her £500 to cancel her dead mothers' mobile phone contract.
Jemma Page, from Nottingham, took to social media last night to share her experience:

So @EE has just told me I need to pay just under £500 to cancel my mum's phone contract... Even though she died on Thursday. No morals.
— Jemma Page (@jemmapage) August 24, 2015

Her post went viral and has so far been retweeted 5,200 times, attracting hundreds of angry comments. EE quickly responded through it's own Twitter account.

@jemmapage Hi Jemma. I'm very sorry to hear this and will help get this resolved quickly for you. May I ask for your contact info please? MM
— EE (@EE) August 24, 2015

An EE spokesman said: “We close accounts and do not charge cancellation fees when a customer passes away. Clearly there has been a miscommunication or an error in this instance so we have contacted Ms Page to apologise and get this corrected.” However, the case is far from an isolated incident. In fact it is just the latest in a string of cases in which companies - including banks, internet and phone providers have made it difficult or refused to cancel contracts after someone has died.In 2013, Peter Fitchett, whose 14-year-old son jumped off a bridge, tried to cancel the teenager's Blackberry mobile. The phone provider, Orange, refused, and instead advised him to sell his teenage son's phone to pay the cancellation fee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11822429/Mum-died-and-now-EE-wants-500-to-cancel-her-phone.html

Back to top Go down