NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police obtain first FGM protection order

Go down

Police obtain first FGM protection order  Empty Police obtain first FGM protection order

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:14 am

Bedfordshire police secure order to prevent girls being taken abroad to undergo female genital mutilation

Police have secured the UK’s first ever female genital mutilation protection order, which bans travel by people who are believed to be at risk of FGM.

As some schools broke up for the summer holidays on Friday, Bedfordshire police seized the passports of two young girls who it was thought could be taken to Africa to be mutilated.

Police obtained the court order under a new power which came into force on Friday. Breaching it is a criminal offence.

DCI Nick Bellingham, from Bedfordshire police’s public protection unit, said: “This legislation is a really positive step forward in the fight against this horrific, cruel crime, and we’re pleased to have been able to enforce it today by issuing a protection order.

“With schools breaking up for the summer holidays today, we will continue to use this legislation where needed to prevent young girls who we believe may be at risk from being taken out of the country.

“This is child abuse, and we will do everything in our power to ensure that children are kept safe and that those responsible are caught,” said Bellingham.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/17/police-obtain-first-fgm-protection-order

Bloody good, I hope they stop a hell of a lot more.

Back to top Go down

Police obtain first FGM protection order  Empty Re: Police obtain first FGM protection order

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:23 am

Can anyone else see what is wrong with this story here?

I mean great they have placed bans on the children to protect the children. Why on earth if they have intelligence that the children are at risk are they still living then with the parents?
They rightly say its child abuse so why are they not protecting the children completely from the parents?

Back to top Go down

Police obtain first FGM protection order  Empty Re: Police obtain first FGM protection order

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:44 am

I was glad to hear, from later on in the link:

Besides the protection orders, the Serious Crime Act 2015 allows judges to remand people in custody, order mandatory medical checks and instruct girls believed to be at risk of the practice to live at a particular address so that authorities can check whether they have been subjected to it. Victims are also given lifelong anonymity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:47 am

And yet nothing has happened to the parents or that the the children remain with them.
What a farce.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Cuchulain wrote:And yet nothing has happened to the parents or that the the children remain with them.
What a farce.

I quite agree.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:21 am

eddie wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:And yet nothing has happened to the parents or that the the children remain with them.
What a farce.

I quite agree.

The article doesn't say what happened to the parents Eddie, so we don't know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 am

sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

I quite agree.

The article doesn't say what happened to the parents Eddie, so we don't know.  

The fact that it does not say is enough to conclude nothing has happened to the parents as if it did, it would be mentioned.

Again this is a complete farce.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down