NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide

3 posters

Go down

Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide  Empty Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Tourists show concern for fleeing victims of war, and while Greeks say migrants cause few problems they fear trafficking is hurting an already fragile economy

Tourists must get up early to catch a glimpse of the morning procession that is now part of the daily summer routine on the Greek island of Kos.

At around 7am, the day’s arrivals are walked from the small industrial port where their boats have been brought in by police launch and around the corner into the picturesque harbour of Kos Town, past the shuttered shops and cafes and on a 20-minute walk to the very outskirts of town.

The knot of tired migrants have little more than a bag each. Those with children to carry bring still less, having paid €1,200 (£875) to make the journey from the Turkish mainland; 40 to 45 people in unsafe, 15ft plastic dinghies, floors lined with plywood, damp with seawater. They are piled into the boat by the traffickers and pointed towards the Greek coastline.

Along Kos harbourside they pass the dozen or more big holiday boats which will, in a few hours, load up with tourists and begin their day cruises across the Aegean to the Turkish city of Bodrum. Prices start at around €25, although cocktails and Greek dancing on board cost a little more. It takes 35 minutes to get to Turkey in one of these boats; in the migrants’ dinghies it is three to four sleepless hours in the dark.

A retired British couple on an early stroll stop to watch the migrants’ quiet parade. “First time I’ve actually seen them, and we’ve been here a week. So sad really. I hope they find new lives,” says Julia Brookes, a Scotswoman from Leeds. “Don’t ask him, though,” she says, indicating her husband, “he’s from the ‘let them die at sea’ brigade. Terrible man.”

Another woman, from Germany, in a neon bikini top, gets off her bicycle: “I come here every year, and I’m sorry to say enough is enough. This is testing the patience of people who are resident here, and the tourists who come to get away from the terrible news of wars and whatnot, not to see it. They shouldn’t be allowed to land.”

One of the elderly fish sellers on the harbourside scolds her: “Lady, you’d rather have bodies on the beaches? Tsk. We knew war here too once,” he says, fixing her with a beady eye.

This weekend the arrivals are Syrian, but Afghans, Iraqis and Libyans have also made the journey. On Friday around 120, on Saturday 60, are led to what the police call the “camp”.

The Captain Elias Hotel is just a shell, deserted during the economic slump. Before Easter local volunteers came in answer to a call from the mayor of Kos to clean the building and install standpipes for water. Dozens of bare mattresses line the floors and tents have gone up around the empty swimming pool. Here people try to find a space to sleep and wait until their paperwork is completed and they can move on, first to Athens, then to other parts of Europe.

Officially, Greece allows only seven days on its soil, but on Kos the administrative infrastructure is overstretched and what had taken two days is taking longer.

Residents drive up with regularity, dropping off what they can: bottles of water, bags of oranges, clothing. One woman brought a dozen cuddly toy dogs for children, driving off quickly as one of the fathers became tearful with gratitude.

“The Greeks have had bad times, many have nothing,” says Batoor Sulimankhel. “This is hospitality. People with nothing understand more than people who have everything.” The Afghan has been here for three days and hopes to be moving on soon.

Swedish holidaymaker Pernille Gusta, 27, and her five friends have cycled out from town to have a look. “There are not so many people, but it is a shame to see the conditions,” she says.

“We asked people what they need, but they were just smiling and embarrassed. There’s a child with some stomach upset so we’ll find a pharmacy and see what we can do.”

She says there had been a row in her holiday apartment block about the presence there of migrants, who turned out to be a French Muslim family on holiday. “An English family moved to another place. I can understand that it makes people feel guilty, so it’s hard to have fun when maybe you have worked hard for this vacation. But they are people too.” Her friend Sara adds: “It is prejudice.”

While the biggest entry route into the European Union for migrants remains international airports, the “eastern Mediterranean route”, as Frontex – the agency set up to coordinate operational response at Europe’s borders – calls the Turkish-Greek routes, is now a migratory “hotspot”. Some 40,000 people have taken it so far in 2015, compared with a rough average of 50,000 a year crossing from Turkey into Greece since 2008. What’s new is that traffickers are supplying boats, shortening migrants’ journeys by sea instead of over the land border. The latest figures from Frontex say June has recorded the “biggest wave of migrants we have seen in 2015”, says its executive director, Fabrice Leggeri.

With 2,000 migrants drowning in the Mediterranean this year, there is an exhausted euphoria among the newly-arrived in Kos. Coming off the police launch on Friday was a Syrian teacher, Mohamad al-Shamali. He showed photographs on his phone of the street he had left behind in Aleppo, all rubble and bloodstains and bombed-out cars. He is sad that he might not see his homeland again. “But life is more important,” he says.

“The worst is not even death; it’s the jails. So many people disappear,” says Shamali. “There are three kinds of horrible in Syria: the Islamic forces, the Bashir soldiers, and the thieves who take people and want money, then kill them anyway.” He made it to Kos on his second attempt. He gets his uncle to show the scabs from a beating by Turkish police. “They hit him hard, they came up on us in their boat and tried to sink it.”

He points to his companions: “This guy is trying to reach Denmark. His daughter is sick – her blood – and he has heard there is medicine there.” The man shows me the medical papers for his five-year-old.

Shamali goes on: “These two guys, they are soldiers and ran away, they crawled for 3km to get out of Syria. This guy is a Christian and …” he draws a line across his throat. “This guy was a law student, they made him army, he ran away to find his wife so they could leave together.” The young pair, Mouhammed Yusef al-Mnger and Aisha Mouhammed Jeblawi, in matching nylon tracksuits and rucksacks, are unwrapping their phones from makeshift waterproof plastic coverings. Jeblawi, bruised and dehydrated, has to be restrained from excitedly hugging every European she sees. Shamali leans forward and whispers: “And I’m a communist.”

Biochemist Namir is here without his wife, a civil engineer. “She is very clever,” he says. He hopes the engineering skills shortage in Europe might help them to be accepted somewhere, anywhere barrel bombs don’t fall from helicopters and severed body bits aren’t carried around his block of flats by feral dogs.

Shaama, four, shrieks as a customs officer wearing a balaclava tells her mother to sit down. “It’s the hood,” her mother Aysha says. “Like Daesh [Isis].” Another officer tells the Observer: “It’s unbelievable. We had one person in a wheelchair. Would you use that boat? No! They are so scared that even when they get on our boat they keep their lifejackets. Most are well-educated, not like me with my bad English,” he jokes. “They’ll be logged and then have to wait for their paperwork. With 20 people in the coastguard and 20 police it’s tough. We try as fast as we can.” He says the numbers arriving varied. “The most we have had in one day is 500, but more likely 100, less.”

Manolis is a port security guard who is angry to find a British journalist here. “Why do the British papers say the things they have said?” he says, referring to a Daily Mail article last month which suggested that Kos was overrun with migrants bothering tourists and hanging dirty washing around the harbour. “It will destroy us if the tourists stop coming. Already we are 27% down for the month. These people don’t make trouble. They stay a few days and are gone. These people are quiet and friendly and just escaping war.”

Whatever the tabloid found when it was here, the British press’s name is now mud. In the week after the article, holiday website Trivago reported a 52% drop in searches for Kos. “We hear there are a lot of cancellations. If it’s the economy, or the airlines, or the migrants, or the newspaper reports, we don’t know,” says Kos taxi driver Angelo.

“But it is worrying. These people are not thieves, they don’t steal or be dirty. They are escaping with their lives only. Do they really believe that a person who is trying to survive matters nothing compared to a person on a sun bed?”

Some 1.7 million tourists are expected in Greece this year, where tourism represents 16% of the country’s GDP. In Kos, the reliance is even higher and the smallest drop in numbers will damage its fragile economy.

As Greece teeters on the edge of bankruptcy, airports have announced that they have no money to maintain systems used to land aircraft, while night flights have already been stopped on Lesbos, Greece’s third-largest island, with Kos, Skiathos and Santorini likely to follow suit. So in Kos, mixed in with fear that tourists won’t come any more, there is some gratitude that the migrants have euros to spend.

At the Captain Elias, Namir the biochemist has returned from buying bread pushing two rather tatty bicycles, far from the shiny ones that tourists are riding. They will have to visit the police station daily to chase up their papers and it’s a long way.

But like the room Shamali and his friends rented this weekend, the price was higher than usual tourist rates. “It’s OK,” he grins. “I’m a risk, I know, although why anyone would think I would want to steal a bicycle!”

It’s funny, he says, that he had to sell his beloved car in Syria to raise cash for a leaky dinghy in Turkey and then a bike nobody else wants in Greece. Everyone makes money from the migrants, say his friends, who joke that if he reaches Germany the Germans will sell him a donkey. “It’s OK,” says Namir, “I’d rather they see I’m willing to pay than think I’m an animal to be drowned at sea.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/06/kos-migrants-tourists-greece-traffickers-sympathy-solidarity

It's amazing what the people of Kos are doing, as they already have nothing, but unlike some, they know how to show compassion to people escaping from the very jaws of hell.

Back to top Go down

Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide  Empty Re: Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:23 pm

they should arrange their travel plans better by the sound of it..

Back to top Go down

Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide  Empty Re: Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:24 pm

People get up early to ogle at those people?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Only a few, and I bet they are British.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:People get up early to ogle at those people?

in the financial troubles the greeks are having that is probably the only entertainment the hotels have ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 pm

This post was made by heavenlyfatheragain who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

You and VOD. I'm not playing here we go round the mulbery bush with you. You come on a forum, be a vile as you can, then throw up you hands and claim you are the one being mistreated, then you and VOD smarm all over one another (I'm sure you'd have sex on line if you could) and complain how everyone is getting at you. You are psychotic and a sociopath and quite definitely NOT a Christian, not matter what you say.

As far as I am concerned, you and she no longer exist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 pm

risingsun wrote:This post was made by heavenlyfatheragain who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

You and VOD.   I'm not playing here we go round the mulbery bush with you.  You come on a forum, be a vile as you can, then throw up you hands and claim you are the one being mistreated, then you and VOD smarm all over one another (I'm sure you'd have sex on line if you could) and complain how everyone is getting at you.  You are psychotic and a sociopath and quite definitely NOT a Christian, not matter what you say.  

Are you in the right thread?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
risingsun wrote:This post was made by heavenlyfatheragain who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

You and VOD.   I'm not playing here we go round the mulbery bush with you.  You come on a forum, be a vile as you can, then throw up you hands and claim you are the one being mistreated, then you and VOD smarm all over one another (I'm sure you'd have sex on line if you could) and complain how everyone is getting at you.  You are psychotic and a sociopath and quite definitely NOT a Christian, not matter what you say.  

Yes, it's the last post I will ever make the either of them, because I have no wish to be tainted with their filth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:34 pm

bless you................... at least you are not claiming i beat her up or she should leave me so I guess i should be grateful for that.....

by the way just like God we do exist and one day you ill find that truth out for yourself...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 pm

And to get back to the OP

All those who talk about leaving them to drown should be put on a very leaky boat in the middle of the Atlantic in a storm, their views are a stain on the human race.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I doubt it, this thread doesn't seem to be hating jews...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:36 pm

risingsun wrote:And to get back to the OP

All those who talk about leaving them to drown should be put on a very leaky boat in the middle of the Atlantic in a storm, their views are a stain on the human race.

Aren't you wishing that people would drown though?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

see i don't know what she's on about

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
risingsun wrote:And to get back to the OP

And? I'd rather they did than the poor sods fleeing for their fives from indescribly horrible conditions. They don't have a choice, the people saying they should drown have a choice about saying it, but chose to be subhuman, therefore they should try the consequences of what they are suggesting. And I don't give a shit is you think that is hypocritical.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm

risingsun wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And?  I'd rather they did than the poor sods fleeing for their fives from indescribly horrible conditions.  They don't have a choice, the people saying they should drown have a choice about saying it, but chose to be subhuman, therefore they should try the consequences of what they are suggesting.  And I don't give a shit is you think that is hypocritical.

I think Didge's madness is affecting you too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:41 pm

risingsun wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And?  I'd rather they did than the poor sods fleeing for their fives from indescribly horrible conditions.  They don't have a choice, the people saying they should drown have a choice about saying it, but chose to be subhuman, therefore they should try the consequences of what they are suggesting.  And I don't give a shit is you think that is hypocritical.

no one thinks you are a hypocrite... everyone knows you are....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
risingsun wrote:

Further proof you are a troll.
I have made no comments here and you look to shit stir further.
What more evidence does anyone need to see that you are a pathetic immature idiot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
risingsun wrote:

No, I am simply sick of people who don't give a fuck about anyone else but themselves and don't show the slightest trace of humanity.  The people of Kos do, even though they have nothing.   Most of the people taking umbrage about immigrants fleeing for their lives have lot, but don't want to share it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What more evidence does anyone need to see that you are a pathetic immature idiot.
Actually it makes a change that someone can actually see the hate filled threads on here towards Christians .
Raggamuffin has you running in circles the lot of you .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Actually it makes a change that someone can actually see the hate filled threads on here towards Christians .

Ha ha, thanks Dibs I needed a good laugh, Rags is only good at chasing her own tail, so I agree she does run around in circles.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Vicar of Dibley wrote:

Ha ha, thanks Dibs I needed a good laugh, Rags is only good at chasing her own tail, so I agree she does run around in circles.

Laughing

Are you calling me a dog?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Laughing

Are you calling me a dog?

Thought never entered my mind.   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Vicar of Dibley wrote:

Laughing

nope none of you get away with any of your tricks, she can see right through them and its fun watching you be brought down a peg ot two for a change .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Laughing

nope none of you get away with any of your tricks, she can see right through them and its fun watching you be brought down a peg ot two for a change .

She is not smart enough, but I do give her an A for effort.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Laughing

Wink
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Most are not fleeing anything at all but just trying to blag their way into Europe and purely for their own gain... at our expense...!!!

And they are also using the conflict in Syria, Iraq and elsewhere as a cover for their attempts to blag their way in... quite disgraceful if you ask me... bit like that labour MP saying it would be a good day to bury bad news in The wake of The 9/11 attack...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Most are not fleeing anything at all but just trying to blag their way into Europe and purely for their own gain... at our expense...!!!

And they are also using the conflict in Syria, Iraq and elsewhere as a cover for their attempts to blag their way in... quite disgraceful if you ask me... bit like that labour MP saying it would be a good day to bury bad news in The wake of The 9/11 attack...

1000% Bullshit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:24 pm

All true dodge... you just can't handle the truth!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:All true dodge... you just can't handle the truth!!!

Says the man who now claims he knows the minds of people he has never met.
Again your views like on most threads are 1000% bullshit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:27 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:All true dodge... you just can't handle the truth!!!

1,000%? It's time for you to go back to school. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:28 pm

If these people ended up on the shores of our country there is no doubt that the British people would do exactly the same as the Greek's are doing.

We don't easily turn our backs and walk on by when people are desperate for help and would be practicall dying on our shores.

I'm sure there may be some but there always is.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000_percent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Irn Bru wrote:If these people ended up on the shores of our country there is no doubt that the British people would do exactly the same as the Greek's are doing.

We don't easily turn our backs and walk on by when people are desperate for help and would be practicall dying on our shores.

I know all decent people would, but I'm beginning to think that a proportion of the British people have lost their way and would be quite at home in NazI Germany before and during the last war.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It backfired badly and became a byword for foolish and insincere exaggeration

They must have seen you coming.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

It backfired badly and became a byword for foolish and insincere exaggeration

They must have seen you coming.

Its no good posting what is on your birth certificate

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:34 pm

risingsun wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:If these people ended up on the shores of our country there is no doubt that the British people would do exactly the same as the Greek's are doing.

I know all decent people would, but I'm beginning to think that a proportion of the British people have lost their way and would be quite at home in NazI Germany before and during the last war.

how can you call the nazis when you hate the jews.... how confused are you....

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:44 pm

They are well fed and have plenty of money for their boat trips... chancers... hose them down and ship them back to their own safe home countries.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:They are well fed and have plenty of money for their boat trips... chancers... hose them down and ship them back to their own safe home countries.

You're an alien aren't you Tommy? Because you definitely aren't a real human being.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:48 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:They are well fed and have plenty of money for their boat trips... chancers... hose them down and ship them back to their own safe home countries.

Sympathy and solidarity for migrants on Kos beaches as two worlds collide  9k=

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down