NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King Henry I, like Richard III, could be buried in a car park, say archaeologists

Go down

King Henry I, like Richard III, could be buried in a car park, say archaeologists Empty King Henry I, like Richard III, could be buried in a car park, say archaeologists

Post by Guest Sat May 23, 2015 1:12 pm

The remains of another English king could be lurking underneath a 21st-century car park, archaeologists and historians have said. After the well-publicised exhumation in 2012 of Richard III from beneath a council lot in Leicester, attention has shifted to the possibility that Henry I, the youngest son of William the Conqueror, could be lying in similar circumstances in Reading.
Henry I ruled England for 35 years between 1100 and 1135 and is remembered by historians as an “energetic, decisive and occasionally cruel ruler” who allegedly died after eating too many lampreys – a kind of jawless fish. He was interred in a sarcophagus in Reading abbey, which was largely destroyed during the 16th-century dissolution of the monasteries.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/22/king-henry-i-lies-under-reading-car-park-uk-archaeologists

Back to top Go down