NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park

2 posters

Go down

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park Empty Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park

Post by Guest Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

The search is on for the lost remains of King Henry I in the grounds of a ruined abbey - and there is even the possibility that he could turn up under a car park. Henry, who was the son of William the Conqueror, is believed to have been been buried alongside his wife under the high altar of Reading Abbey. The building was largely destroyed during Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries but there is no definite record of what happened to the remains.

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park 575edd162200002d00f80a2d
Henry I was buried under the high altar at Reading Abbey

But experts have now started using ground-penetrating radar to ascertain the extent of the grounds of the abbey, according to the Daily Telegraph.

They have begun investigating the land around St James’ Church, next to the ruined abbey and further work will be done in the abbey church, Forbury Gardens and the car park of Reading Gaol. The car park of a local school has also been suggested as a possible site as well.
According to the BBC, John Mullaney of the Hidden Abbey Project said: “What we shall discover we do not know - maybe much, maybe little.

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park 575ede781500002b0073a39b
Print Collector via Getty Images
Henry I founded Reading Abbey
“I hope all our work will tell us more about one of England’s greatest buildings and about the King who was buried in Reading.”
It has been more than 150 years since the last comprehensive archaeological investigation took place at the abbey.
Although Henry died in Normandy in 1135, his body was brought to Reading Abbey, which he founded, sewn into a bull’s hide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/reading-abbey-henry-i-car-park_uk_575ed7f9e4b04151436a3e02?edition=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park Empty Re: Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park

Post by Cass Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 am

This is very interesting. I hope they find him.

I really wish that The Queen would give permission for a truly deep investigation at the Tower to look for Edward V and Richard Duke of York as well as Anne Boleyn and her brother and Katharine Howard.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park Empty Re: Reading Abbey Could Be Concealing Remains Of Henry I - And He Could Even Be Under A Car Park

Post by Miffs2 Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 am

Cass wrote:This is very interesting.  I hope they find him.

I really wish that The Queen would give permission for a truly deep investigation at the Tower to look for Edward V and Richard Duke of York as well as Anne Boleyn and her brother and Katharine Howard.

Is it thought they are all at the Tower?
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:53 am

Miffs2 wrote:
Cass wrote:This is very interesting.  I hope they find him.

Is it thought they are all at the Tower?

Well the 2 boys is uncertain and has never been proven. As to the ladies, they are there it is just a question of where.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down