NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another weekend

5 posters

Go down

Another weekend Empty Another weekend

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:58 am

What's up[ with you?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Another weekend Empty Re: Another weekend

Post by eddie Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 am

Watched a good film last night, A good Marriage by Stephen King

Going to probably do nothing all day except maybe make a chilli
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 pm

eddie wrote:Watched a good film last night, A good Marriage by Stephen King

Yep, this seems to be the weekend of nothing going on.

Stephen King? I stopped reading is books...he seemed to be getting too formulaic. His best writing was when he lived out west, in Boulder. Remember 'the Walking Man in The Stand?' Also The Shining? After he moved back to Maine he began to repeat himself. Don't know why.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Stephen King?  I stopped reading is books...he seemed to be getting too formulaic.  His best writing was when he lived out west, in Boulder.  Remember 'the Walking Man in The Stand?'  Also The Shining?  After he moved back to Maine he began to repeat himself.  Don't know why.

Good afternoon Quill.

Coincidentally,I'm about to start reading Misery by King but only because it's not one of is longer stories.I think at times,he tends to go too deeply into his characters which drags the story out & gets a tad boring.

Having said that,The Shining is a most brilliant story but the sequel Doctor Sleep was not as good,although I enjoyed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:27 pm

I think The Stand is the best thing he has written. It totally freaked me out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Nems wrote:I think The Stand is the best thing he has written. It totally freaked me out.

Good afternoon Nems.

Is that one of his books that's about 3 inches thick?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Shady wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Stephen King?  I stopped reading is books...he seemed to be getting too formulaic.  His best writing was when he lived out west, in Boulder.  Remember 'the Walking Man in The Stand?'  Also The Shining?  After he moved back to Maine he began to repeat himself.  Don't know why.

Good afternoon Quill.

Coincidentally,I'm about to start reading Misery by King but only because it's not one of is longer stories.I think at times,he tends to go too deeply into his characters which drags the story out & gets a tad boring.

Having said that,The Shining is a most brilliant story but the sequel Doctor Sleep was not as good,although I enjoyed it.

Good morning, Shady and Nems (as the world turns--it's morning here),

I think that his two best novels were The Shining and The Stand.  He made his name with Carrie, but the 'shock' of that story was just that his new genre of noir had arrived.  In my opinion, it wasn't that good.

He has a tendency to become formulaic in sequels, etc.  I guess that comes from publishers and film producers pressuring him to produce.  But...when he is good, he is very, very good; but when he is bad, he's horrid!  Lol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Used to read Stephen King as a teenager; wouldn't now, I'd never sleep at night Another weekend Scared14

Well I've just spend 4 hours ironing the holiday clothes Another weekend Yawn_310 made a cauliflower bacon and mushoom cheese.  Hubby has a joint of pork on the BBQ and I now fully intent to Another weekend Chillo10

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 pm

feelthelove wrote:Used to read Stephen King as a teenager; wouldn't now, I'd never sleep at night Another weekend Scared14

Well I've just spend 4 hours ironing the holiday clothes Another weekend Yawn_310 made a cauliflower bacon and mushoom cheese.  Hubby has a joint of pork on the BBQ and I now fully intent to Another weekend Chillo10

And a very good morning to you, FTL. A cauliflower bacon and mushoom cheese...must get that recipe. Sounds delicious. Alas, my gf/doctor frowns on bacon for me.

What time is dinner? Shall I bring a California wine? White or red with pork?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 pm

[quote="Shady"]
Nems wrote:I think The Stand is the best thing he has written. It totally freaked me out.

Good afternoon Nems.

Is that one of his books that's about 3 inches thick?[

It is Shady yes x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:45 pm

feelthelove wrote:Used to read Stephen King as a teenager; wouldn't now, I'd never sleep at night Another weekend Scared14

Sit on an ice cube?
You will get piles Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Original Quill wrote:

And a very good morning to you, FTL.  A cauliflower bacon and mushoom cheese...must get that recipe.  Sounds delicious.  Alas, my gf/doctor frowns on bacon for me.

What time is dinner?  Shall I bring a California wine?  White or red with pork?

It'll have to be white Quill, red has been off the agenda since Christmas 1996 Another weekend Embarr13 lol! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Original Quill wrote:

And a very good morning to you, FTL.  A cauliflower bacon and mushoom cheese...must get that recipe.  Sounds delicious.  Alas, my gf/doctor frowns on bacon for me.

Was thinking that
Go on FTL tell us how to make it cos it sounds lovely Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Nems wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Was thinking that

There is nothing to it Nems, it's so easy Laughing

All I do is put the cauliflower in cold water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and drain. Place it in an oven proof dish.

In the meantime cut some bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy, then the mushrooms in the same pan. Add the mushrooms and bacon to the cauliflower.  

Make a standard cheese sauce and pour over, top with grated cheese and place under the grill or in the oven to brown. If you intend to use the grill make sure the cauliflower is cooked before you drain it.  I use the oven so don't want it overcooked. You could add some tomatoes to the top for colour if you like.

I sometimes add leeks or brocolli or both.  Very simple, honest Another weekend Thumbs13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Nems wrote:

Sit on an ice cube?
You will get piles Cool

Chill Nems, chill Another weekend Rofl18

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Nems wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Was thinking that

Cauli...love. Cheese...perfect match of flavour. Bacon...perfect finishing touch. Love it.

Oh, and I got a new double-boiler (Revere) yesterday. My old one was one of these big old dutch oven things...like bringing an 19-wheeler to a roller-coaster derby.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:00 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

Was thinking that

All I do is put the cauliflower in cold water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and drain. Place it in an oven proof dish.

In the meantime cut some bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy, then the mushrooms in the same pan. Add the mushrooms and bacon to the cauliflower.  

Make a standard cheese sauce and pour over, top with grated cheese and place under the grill or in the oven to brown. If you intend to use the grill make sure the cauliflower is cooked before you drain it.  I use the oven so don't want it overcooked. You could add some tomatoes to the top for colour if you like.

I sometimes add leeks or brocolli or both.  Very simple, honest Another weekend Thumbs13

I want that now Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Nems wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

I want that now Neutral

Well make it woman, it's easy honestly.....although getting a cauliflower this time of day on a Sunday might be a challenge Another weekend Think10 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:04 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

Was thinking that

Got it. Ever try to caramelized brussel sprouts with it? Caramelized brussel sprouts with bacon is also a winner.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:05 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

I want that now Neutral

Well make it woman, it's easy honestly.....although getting a cauliflower this time of day on a Sunday might be a challenge Another weekend Think10 x

I think you may be right!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Got it.  Ever try to caramelized brussel sprouts with it?  Caramelized brussel sprouts with bacon is also a winner.

I've never tried sprouts with bacon but I understand it's a great combination.....maybe it would make me like them. They are the only veg I'm not too fond of No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Got it.  Ever try to caramelized brussel sprouts with it?  Caramelized brussel sprouts with bacon is also a winner.

I love sprouts, kids hate them. I make them eat some every Christmas, makes my day Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Nems wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Make it for tomorrow night's dinner Another weekend Yum10 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:10 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

Make it for tomorrow night's dinner Another weekend Yum10 x

I think I will Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Nems wrote:I love sprouts, kids hate them. I make them eat some every Christmas, makes my day Twisted Evil

My favorite vegi! We used to have a group in the East Bay (Berkeley) of Kiwis and Australians and Americans...we would have a monthly dinner of Things I lov and everyone else hates!

The Kiwi woman whose place it was usually held, would make a large leg 'o lamb, and we would bring the rest. My fave to bring was brussles sprouts in mustard sauce, covered with gorgonzola.

Oh, and here is the sprouts with bacon and cheese:

Food Network wrote:Place the bacon into a 10-inch straight-sided saute pan and set over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp and brown. Remove bacon and all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan using a slotted spoon. Decrease the heat to low. Add the onion and cook just until they turn semi-translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add the salt and apple and continue to cook for another minute. Add the Brussels sprouts, heavy cream and mustard and cook just until the Brussels sprouts are heated through, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the bacon, blue cheese and nutmeg. Serve immediately.

Basic Brussels Sprouts

Cut off the stem end of the Brussels sprouts and remove any yellowing outer leaves. Cut each Brussels sprout in half from top to bottom. Place the Brussels sprouts, water and salt into a 3 to 4-quart saucier and cover. Place over high heat and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove and serve immediately.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I agree
I prefer his short stores actually. The Long Walk is one of the best I've ever read.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
feelthelove wrote:
Nems wrote:

Was thinking that

That's the only way to eat them! Baked in the oven with bacon and garlic cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That's the only way to eat them! Baked in the oven with bacon and garlic cheers

Ok, I'll believe you Another weekend Grin_210 they can't taste any worse pale geek lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 pm

So what's up this weekend?

Football tomorrow for me. No plans for Sunday yet.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 10:32 pm

Taking Benny to beach, we might have to wrap up well, seeing friends tomorrow night, door knocking campaigning some of Sunday, Monday not sure, depends on the weather, might go to Dedham, it's lovely there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 10:49 pm

Looking forward to a lovely bank holiday weekend with FTL who arrives tomorrow. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 02, 2015 5:07 am

Irn Bru wrote:So what's up this weekend?

Football tomorrow for me. No plans for Sunday yet.

Thx for reminding me, Irn.  Nothing in particular this weekend.  Last week Becky and I participated in Opening Day on the Bay.  

Another weekend DSC_01831-550x232

Fun SF wrote:
The annual Opening Day on the Bay shows off over 100 historic workboats, fireboats, towboats, classic and contemporary craft decorated to the 2015 theme “Youth In Boating.”

This marks the official start of the San Francisco 2015 boating season.

So this weekend we will probably lay low and take it easy.

Sunday is the start of the Warriors second NBA playoff series, against Memphis.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 02, 2015 8:14 am

risingsun wrote:Taking Benny to beach, we might have to wrap up well, seeing friends tomorrow night, door knocking campaigning some of Sunday, Monday not sure, depends on the weather, might go to Dedham, it's lovely there.

Didn't you say you were going to Malta for two weeks? How come you're back?
I couldve read it wrong as my mind is like mush at the moment due to moving etc
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 02, 2015 9:14 am

Stephen King wrote a few books under the name of Bachman? I think. I read one called "The Regulators" that was a good one I thought.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 pm

eddie wrote:
risingsun wrote:Taking Benny to beach, we might have to wrap up well, seeing friends tomorrow night, door knocking campaigning some of Sunday, Monday not sure, depends on the weather, might go to Dedham, it's lovely there.

Didn't you say you were going to Malta for two weeks? How come you're back?
I couldve read it wrong as my mind is like mush at the moment due to moving etc

Was going away for two weeks, was in Malta from Tuesday to Tuesday, went to my Dad's on the Sunday and was going to stay until this Sunday. Unfortunately there was a gastric bug going round Malta and both my Dad and I got it. He got it on the Saturday, but only for a few hours, I got it Sunday lunch time and it was pretty violent and didn't stop until Monday morning, when the doctor decided I had to be taken to St James Hospital to be rehydrated. Was on a drip until 4 am Tuesday morning when I persuaded them to let me travel, so taxi back to hotel and coach to airport at 6 am. Brother who was with us decided I needed to go home, so dropped me off here and he went back with Dad. However, looking on the bright side, we did have a good couple of days out and Sliema was lovely and the Diplomat Hotel staff were so kind.

Another weekend 11188239_10152850179052473_3155244217944805016_n
Another weekend 10403367_10152850179777473_4726836369173887882_n
(That one is my brother and dad)
Another weekend 11147040_10152850184377473_9089243937958505922_n
Another weekend 11188380_10152850185277473_3410382814911048563_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 1:07 pm

And now to crown it all it's flippin freezing so we have decided to give the beach a miss, is water meadows for Benny this afternoon.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Malta looks lovely. Sorry to hear you were unwell, nothing like being ill on bloody holiday! That's what happened to my OH and two children on holiday last year.
I got it the day we came home.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 6:51 pm

We have decided in future we will get a cottage in UK that takes dogs, then we can all go, including my OH and brother's wife, our Benny and their whippet Desie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 pm

nicko wrote:Stephen King wrote a few books under the name of Bachman?   I think.   I read one called "The Regulators"  that was a good one I thought.

That book was weird! I liked it, though, but I think I prefer the companion novel "Desperation" that he wrote under his own name, did you ever check that one out?

I haven't read as much Stephen King lately; probably the last one was Wind in the Keyhole, just because it was the quote-unquote "missing" Dark Tower book, and it was OK but not essential to the series by any stretch.

The last SK book I think I really loved was Black House, the sequel to the equally good The Talisman, both co-written with Peter Straub. I wish they'd collaborate again.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Almost forgot -- Duma Key was pretty good, too. It reminded me of Bag of Bones.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Almost forgot -- Duma Key was pretty good, too. It reminded me of Bag of Bones.

He has a new one out "Mr Mercedes" I think it's called? May buy it
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 am

Blimey, it's a bank holiday Monday and the sun is shining! Even in the frozen North! sunny lol!

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend I love you x

Another weekend 2681620681  Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm

feelthelove wrote:Blimey, it's a bank holiday Monday and the sun is shining! Even in the frozen North! sunny lol!

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend I love you x

Another weekend 2681620681  Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681 Another weekend 2681620681

Tee Hee
Have you thawed out yet?!
Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Almost forgot -- Duma Key was pretty good, too. It reminded me of Bag of Bones.

Hey ta, just looked it up, hadn't read it before.

Had a brilliant day, took Benny to Rendlesham Forest for a long, long walk, it's so nice to be able to do long walks again, then had lunch in a lovely old pub in East Bergholt.  Sun shining it's little socks off.  Best Bank Holday!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 am

went for a nice walk in quite fields and woods

made a loud noise, murdered assorted wildlife, and come home in time to make rabbit pie for tea..... Another weekend 3755771736

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down