NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others.

Go down

Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others. Empty Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 pm

“I teched off the sixth man first; then the fifth; then the fourth; then the third; and so on.  That’s the way we shoot wild turkeys at home.   You see we don’t want the front ones to know that we’re getting the back ones, and then they keep on coming until we get them all.  I knowed, too, that if the front ones wavered, or if I stopped them the rear ones would drop down and pump a volley into me and get me.” 

Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 – September 2, 1964), known also by his rank, Sergeant York, was one of the most decorated American soldiers in World War I. He received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 20 German soldiers, and capturing 132 others. This action occurred during the United States-led portion of the broader Meuse-Argonne Offensive in France masterminded by Marshal Ferdinand Foch to breach the Hindenburg line and make the opposing German forces surrender.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/attacked-a-german-machine-gun-nest-taking-32-machine-guns-killing-28-german-soldiers-and-capturing-132-others.html

Back to top Go down

Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others. Empty Re: Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others.

Post by Irn Bru Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Played by Gary Cooper in the film Sergeant York. Used to touch the gunsight with a wet finger for improved accuracy - in the film that is.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others. Empty Re: Attacked a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Would like to see a modern version of his heroics on film.

Though we have the Battle of Britain and Dam Busters to look forward to in the next couple of years with remakes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down