NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds

3 posters

Go down

Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds Empty Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 pm

A Tea Party-backed Republican state representative from Texas argued this week that marijuana should be legal for medicinal and recreational use because “everything God made is good.”

On Monday, Rep. David Simpson (R) introduced a bill that would strike marijuana from Texas drug laws. If the measure was enacted, Simpson would have the “plant be regulated like tomatoes, jalapeños or coffee.” Growers and consumers would pay taxes on marijuana like it was any other product, but there would be no additional “sin” taxes.

“All that God created is good, including marijuana. God did not make a mistake when he made marijuana that the government needs to fix,” Simpson said in a statement. “Let’s allow the plant to be utilized for good — helping people with seizures, treating warriors with PTSD, producing fiber and other products — or simply for beauty and enjoyment. Government prohibition should be for violent actions that harm your neighbor — not of the possession, cultivation, and responsible use of plants.”

During an interview with radio host Chad Hasty this week, Simpson said that he did not envision “a big government solution” to legalizing marijuana.

“We don’t’ need a registry or more bureaucracies. We just need to hold accountable for their actions,” he explained. “Under the new covenant, if you look at Romans 13 [in the Bible], the role of the civil magistrate is to control or to punish when you have harmed your neighbor. And I don’t want the civil magistrate telling me how to worship and when to worship and dealing with my relationship with God or even coming into my home and telling how to do this or that.”

According to Simpson, fears of marijuana “have been based on misrepresentations.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/texas-goper-says-jesus-wants-legal-pot-everything-god-made-is-good-including-marijuana/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds Empty Re: Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:12 pm

well I have to say that in this instance I find myself in full agreement with him...

ok so he's ascribing things to the bearded sky man...but hey

Back to top Go down

Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds Empty Re: Texas Republican lawmaker backs marijuana legalization on religious grounds

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm

I was going to say, outside of the religious stuff he has basically my exact stance when he says:

"Government prohibition should be for violent actions that harm your neighbor — not of the possession, cultivation, and responsible use of plants."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02 am

can I get an amen?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Cass wrote:can I get an amen?

dunno....are they available over there??

do you have to go private or can you get em on "obamacare"

is it wise to take em?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:58 pm

You don't need obamacare to get an amen in Texas. All you need is a gun, a beer and a pickup truck named 'Billy-Bob'.

Soz Ben, but if the shoe fits... Smile

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down