NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning

5 posters

Go down

Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning Empty Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning

Post by Irn Bru Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 am

Funerals are becoming so hard to afford that some people are burying relatives in their back gardens, according to an MP.

Emma Lewell-Buck said some people were holding "do it yourself" funerals with rising costs putting even a basic service out of many families' reach.

She proposed a bill calling for a review of costs and for providers to offer an affordable, simple service.

The Labour MP for South Shields said the average funeral had reached £3,551.

"The loss of a loved one can be one of the most devastating experiences we face... we want to give them a good send-off," she told MPs.

In October, SunLife Direct's annual Cost of Dying report said the average cost of a funeral had increased by 87% since 2004.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30392982

Holy Sh!t What a Face

I suppose the best time to die is just before 5th November when we can just be thrown onto the bonfire.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning Empty Re: Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:21 am

Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning 1851270709_OMG_83811072751_xlarge
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning Empty Re: Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing

THAT practice is illegal over here...

NATIONAL laws in Oz regulate how far away from dwellings, other buildings, tributary waterways and water tables a graveyard must be ~ in order to establish a private or "family" graves site, you would normally need to have a few acres, in some cases hundreds of acres, so as to find a suitable spot in your "backyard" (often they will end up being on nearby hillsides, facing west [the setting sun] or east, and overlooking the family farm..) ~ there are thousands of such private family cemetaries situated across Australia (and probably tens, maybe hundreds of thousands, across N. America ?).

IF ONE wants to 'inter' your loved ones at home down here, you need to cremate them first.      flower

Hello Bee, hope you're well Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning Bee11 x

Apparently its relatively easy here in the UK:

Private land burial

This guide on home burial is relevant in England and Wales, for Scotland we recommend you look at this link (click here) and take appropriate advice from the relevant local council.

Whilst burial on private land is a relatively straightforward matter, free of many of the restrictions and legal hurdles which might be imagined, it does need to be thought through carefully.

The number of private land burials which take place each year in the UK is quite small, and it is possibly for that reason that there are misconceptions widely-held not only by members of the public, but by some planners and funeral professionals as well. With regard to rules and regulations the following are imperative:

• You must have the consent of the owner of the freehold of the land

• The freeholder should check that there are no restrictive covenants attached to the title deeds or registration of the property that prohibit burial

• You must be able to satisfy the Environment Agency that the burial will not take place within certain distances of specific types of water; i.e.

- At least 10 metres from any ‘dry’ ditch or field drain

- At least 30 metres from any spring or any running or standing water

- At least 50 metres from any well, borehole or spring that supplies water for any use

• There must be a minimum depth between the settled soil level and the top of the coffin or shroud (see note below)

• The person responsible for the burial must obtain a Certificate of Authority for Burial* from the Registrar of Births & Deaths (or in special circumstances from the Coroner) before the burial takes place.(*This is routinely issued at the time of the registration of the death, and more commonly referred to as 'the green form'.)

• Within 96 hours of the burial, the slip attached to the bottom of the Certificate for Burial or Cremation must be completed with the date and place of the burial, and returned to the Registrar of Births & Deaths

• The owner (or owner’s agent) of the land on which the burial has taken place must prepare and keep a burial register in a safe place

http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/index.php?page=home-burial

I agree with you though and people should be cremated first.  I am terrified of being buried affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:44 am

I can concur

earlier this year when my stepfather died we did a basic cremation and memorial service in the church and that came to over £3,000. God only knows how much it would've been if we had gone for burial instead of sprinkling his ashes up on the Yorkshire moors.

At thanksgiving I was in Houston seeing my Grandpa. We went out to the cemetery where Grandma is buried and he has a spot next to her. He has decided that when his time comes he wants us to bury him back in Louisiana and exhume Grandma too and take her there as well. By selling the double plot it would cover the costs because its now worth about $12,000!!!!!!!!

I wish I were kidding but this cemetery is obviously up and coming.....as it were.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Even though it was published a long time ago please read Jessica Mitford's The American Way of Death......a lot of it still hold true today.

most funeral parlours and private cemeteries are owned now by huge conglomerates.

as to home burying.....I'm not comfortable with it......anyone remember the film Poltergeist???
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Every single widow and widower is given £2,000 toward or for funerals.
That is enough for a basic funeral is it not?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:07 pm

eddie wrote:Every single widow and widower is given £2,000 toward or for funerals.
That is enough for a basic funeral is it not?

It certainly helps Eddie but it doesn't cover it all.  I want to arrange and pay for my own funeral, something on my to do list Funeral cost rise triggers MP's 'garden burials' warning Rip10

Typical costs for arranging the funeral:

On average, funeral director services cost about £1,800. These costs include storing the body, providing the coffin, hearse and staff on the day of the funeral. Generally, they won’t cover disbursement costs. Disbursement costs are fees for burial, cremation, doctors and ministers or celebrant services. They can add up to £1,600 onto the cost, depending on whether the deceased is buried or cremated.

Whether you use a funeral director or make some or all the arrangements yourself, remember every aspect of the funeral is your decision. Don’t feel pressurised into spending more than you want to or can afford, simply because you feel you have to put on a show of respect.

A simple funeral can be as dignified and fitting as one which costs a lot more money.
Some funeral service providers may offer a package price. This could be made up of some elements you have to pay for and some optional elements. It’s worth asking for a detailed quote to find out what services are included in the package. If the quote includes services you don’t need, request a revised quote without them.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-much-does-a-funeral-cost

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Ah right. Okay.... I actually thought £2,000 was paid by the government and it was calculated to be enough?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:25 am

eddie wrote:Ah right. Okay.... I actually thought £2,000 was paid by the government and it was calculated to be enough?
there is a payment but it is not enough, trust me on this. plus if you factor in all your costs of living until probate is granted it doesn't go far. it also, if memory serves and I admit that whole 3 weeks was a blur and dealing with a coroners office as well....
depends on your income level eds....its a very low threshold and for some its a loan which must be paid back. in our case there was no cash in the estate but £800 and they would've counted that. as it is my mum had a little bit of money here in the US and between me, the sister and one step brother we paid for it.

this explains it

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/overview
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 am

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:Ah right. Okay.... I actually thought £2,000 was paid by the government and it was calculated to be enough?
there is a payment but it is not enough, trust me on this. plus if you factor in all your costs of living until probate is granted it doesn't go far. it also, if memory serves and I admit that whole 3 weeks was a blur and dealing with a coroners office as well....
depends on your income level eds....its a very low threshold and for some its a loan which must be paid back. in our case there was no cash in the estate but £800 and they would've counted that. as it is my mum had a little bit of money here in the US and between me, the sister and one step brother we paid for it.

this explains it

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/overview

Ah right thanks Cass that explains it then.
It's a terrible state of affairs if someone can't finacially afford to bury a loved one!! How bloody awful for them! Sad
I'd have thought it illegal to use your back garden though? What about prospective future tenants?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down