NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right)

3 posters

Go down

Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) Empty Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right)

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 am

Parents say Father Dennis Higgins was just "plain mean" after he - erroneously - told children as young as seven that Father Christmas has nothing to do with Christmas.
A head teacher has reassured puzzled pupils that he's spoken to Father Christmas to clear up any confusion caused by a priest told them Santa did not exist. Angry parents said Father Dennis Higgins was "plain mean" after he upset the youngsters by telling them the jolly man in the red suit was a fake.

The stark sermon was handed out during mass at a nearby secondary school where pupils from the primary school were invited to celebrate the forthcoming festive season. Instead of tidings of joy they got a message about the real meaning of Christmas during which it was made clear the festive season had nothing to do with Santa and his sleigh full of toys. His comments have split his congregation with many coming out in support of the curmudgeonly cleric.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11273700/Bah-humbug-priest-tells-pupils-Santa-doesnt-exist-but-dont-worry-their-head-teacher-has-put-them-right.html

Hats off to the headmaster.

Back to top Go down

Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) Empty Re: Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right)

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 am

It's one of the joys of childhood isn't it? Believing that Santa can go all around the world in one night, and turn up in loads of different places prior to Christmas in department stores?

Can anyone remember actually finding out that Santa didn't exist? Was it a gradual thing as you got older, or was it a sudden thing?

Of course the head teacher lied to the children, but I guess he had his fingers crossed behind his back at the time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) Empty Re: Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right)

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 am

The point is though Ragga, he is stating that Santa does not exist and then in the same breath advocating for the children to participate in regards to the festivities in regards to Jesus, (who was not born on 25th December, this was Mithra, an ancient Roman religion, which was incoorporated to have Jesus born on the same day,) who is claimed to be the son of God.
No proof for Santa, no proof of a God, hence his reasoning to the children was absurd. He wants people to place stock in something they cannot prove, that a God exists and at the same time argue exactly the opposite in regards to Santa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 am

Brasidas wrote:The point is though Ragga, he is stating that Santa does not exist and then in the same breath advocating for the children to participate in regards to the festivities in regards to Jesus, (who was not born on 25th December, this was Mithra, an ancient Roman religion, which was incoorporated to have Jesus born on the same day,) who is claimed to be the son of God.
No proof for Santa, no proof of a God, hence his reasoning to the children was absurd. He wants people to place stock in something they cannot prove, that a God exists and at the same time argue exactly the opposite in regards to Santa.

Well yes, I see what you mean. Of course I have religious faith, which has persisted long after my belief in Father Christmas disappeared.

However, if this Priest was being mean by saying that Santa doesn't exist, then people who tell children that God doesn't exist are also being mean.

I think perhaps that the best thing for a Catholic School is to make sure that the religious message is heard as well as the one involving presents, mince pies, and Santa.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:46 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Brasidas wrote:The point is though Ragga, he is stating that Santa does not exist and then in the same breath advocating for the children to participate in regards to the festivities in regards to Jesus, (who was not born on 25th December, this was Mithra, an ancient Roman religion, which was incoorporated to have Jesus born on the same day,) who is claimed to be the son of God.

Well yes, I see what you mean. Of course I have religious faith, which has persisted long after my belief in Father Christmas disappeared.

However, if this Priest was being mean by saying that Santa doesn't exist, then people who tell children that God doesn't exist are also being mean.

I think perhaps that the best thing for a Catholic School is to make sure that the religious message is heard as well as the one involving presents, mince pies, and Santa.

I disagree on that, because I do not think children should be taught about faith until they understand. Santa brings no harm, whereas literal religious belief can at a young age form discrminating views of groups of people. I myself was once a Catholic and know very well how such religious beliefs can be wrongly drummed into a child. Of course people will still want to teach their children religion, of which they have every right to, but to me there is a clear difference between the innocent belief of Santa, compared to the doctrines of religion.

So yes the same rules can apply that it would be also mean to say that God does not exist, but again where children of this age will no doubt believe in Santa, not all children will have been brought up believing in a God. So non-belief should also play a fundemental part in teaching within schools as well and really it would thus not be mean to teach a view that no God exists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Brasidas wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I disagree on that, because I do not think children should be taught about faith until they understand. Santa brings no harm, whereas literal religious belief can at a young age form discrminating views of groups of people. I myself was once a Catholic and know very well how such religious beliefs can be wrongly drummed into a child. Of course people will still want to teach their children religion, of which they have every right to, but to me there is a clear difference between the innocent belief of Santa, compared to the doctrines of religion.

So yes the same rules can apply that it would be also mean to say that God does not exist, but again where children of this age will no doubt believe in Santa, not all children will have been brought up believing in a God. So non-belief should also play a fundemental part in teaching within schools as well and really it would thus not be mean to teach a view that no God exists.

Hmmm, you don't think that the concept of Santa could teach children that the reward for good behaviour is material goods? I mean - don't people tell their children that Santa will only visit if they're good?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:09 pm

A fair point but again still innocent, where most parents use rewards for good behaviour, which is then inkeeping with parental methods.
Again a child will have no conception of material wealth, it will just see a toy etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:54 pm

@raggs
well that's why Santa Exists. Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 4214183177 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 4214183177 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 4214183177 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 4214183177
A patron Saint of the Almighty Dollar Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 919144451 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 919144451 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 919144451 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 919144451

We can try and pretend money doesn't rule the world but it does. Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 202592697

Either way the Priest was a wanker, I hate it when People go out of their way to spoil the magic of childhood.
And as Didge Pointed out Irony, the guy has dedicated his life to a fairytale book spreading hate through the make believe and now wants to say something else isn't real?!?!?!? Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 1132368643 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 1132368643 Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 1132368643
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's one of the joys of childhood isn't it? Believing that Santa can go all around the world in one night, and turn up in loads of different places prior to Christmas in department stores?

Can anyone remember actually finding out that Santa didn't exist? Was it a gradual thing as you got older, or was it a sudden thing?

Of course the head teacher lied to the children, but I guess he had his fingers crossed behind his back at the time.

I was waking up from a nap as a little kid and overheard my mom joking about some idiot she and my dad knew; she said, "She probably still believes in Santa Claus."

I was like

Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) 17tblgoitiqv4jpg
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:22 pm

I cant really remember I'm the oldest of 3 my middle brother never really believed, but I can remember forcing him to pretend so that out little brother woudl still believe.

You have to believe to receive
Bah humbug priest tells pupils Santa doesn't exist (but don't worry, their head teacher has put them right) Smileys-cz-82
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down