NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble?

2 posters

Go down

Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble? Empty Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Column makes an excellent case against the commonly-held perception of atheists as "smug"

Which of the following sounds more arrogant?

Worldview 1. I know God created the entire universe just for the benefit of humans. He watches me constantly and cares about everything I say and do.

I know how He wants me and everyone else to behave and believe. He is perfect and just, which is why we face an eternity of either bliss or torture, depending on whether or not we believe in Him.

Worldview 2. We’re the product of millions of years of evolution. Most species are extinct, as humans will eventually be.

I hope to make a positive difference because it’s the right thing to do, not because of future rewards or punishments in an afterlife. When I don’t know something, which is often, I say, “I don’t know.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/09/03/are-atheists-smarter-and-humbler/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble? Empty Re: Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble?

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 pm

I think Athiests are smarter simple because if anyone actually looks at all the evidence available today with a critical mind NONE of the organised religions hold water they are all full of easily provable holes.

You need to either be unintelligent or purposly ignoring the available evidence to be religious.

BUT I also think it misses the 3rd state of being spiritual but not religious. you can beleive in a higher purpose, the issue is when you try and define it. but if you accept that you really don't know the details but just have a vague feeling there is something then thats fine cause the evidence is still out on undefined god(s).

I think I am Arrogant but I blame that on being half french Razz Razz 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble? Empty Re: Are atheists more arrogant? Or are they actually more humble?

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:23 am

"a prominent Cambridge theologian, turned to me and said: ‘That is what makes anthropology so fascinating and so difficult too. You have to explain how people can believe such nonsense.'"

—Dr. Pascal Boyer, commenting on religions
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down