NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia officially stops pretending to be humane

+2
Ben Reilly
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

Australia officially stops pretending to be humane Empty Australia officially stops pretending to be humane

Post by veya_victaous Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 pm

I cannot express how much I hate Abbott Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

AMY GRAY wrote:New lows in Australia’s asylum seeker policy

Scott Morrison, Minister for Immigration, has just made it generally impossible for refugees to reach Australia in any capacity.

Now, any refugee in registered after 1 July 2014 under United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Indonesia has been blocked from Australia’s ‘humanitarian programme’. It’s even back dated to really twist that hatred in.

The move impacts thousands of refugees waiting in Indonesia, who live without work or social support. Given there are around 10,000 or so refugees registered with the UNHCR, it forces them to attempt asylum with other countries, prolonging an already long process.

Morrison’s move is designed to stop accepting refugees who head to Indonesia and then seek protection, saying it should “encourage them to seek resettlement in or from countries of first asylum”.

Except that it is often far too dangerous for people in their home country to apply and wait for protection under Australia’s “humanitarian” programme...you know, which is why they are refugees, because they are persecuted, because they are in fear for their life.

Morrison then characterises refugees waiting in Indonesia as ”people seeking to exploit the programme by shopping for resettlement through a transit country”. No, that would be people trying to stay alive and stay safe.

The move effectively makes it impossible for refugees to reach Australia. All because a Minister for Immigration happens to hate immigration and is doing everything he can to treat the world’s most vulnerable the harshest, most brutal and cruelly insensitive treatment possible.

But the realities of this don’t concern Morrison, a man who rarely shows concern over anything. Our treatment of asylum seekers has been nothing short of inhumane, the world has noticed and Morrison doesn’t care - we’ve been called before UN councils, subject to international condemnation, in breach of international agreements and have been reported to the International Criminal Courts for crimes against humanity.

You could argue Scott Morrison’s savagery towards the world’s most vulnerable has reached new lows, but the sad reality is that this is just another milestone as he continues to kick down. People will look on this time in Australia’s history as one of the most brutal and inhuman and feel even more shame at how we have treated asylum seekers. Did Labor contribute to this period of history? Undoubtedly. But so did every one of us for not demanding more compassion and reason from our elected representatives.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on social media. Protests will be coming. And perhaps now is the time to start demanding answers from your local MP - call, write to them, demand answers.

--
New lows for Australia’s indigenous population

Because all bad news must be lumped together, we have a chilling snapshot that life is just getting worse for Australia’s First Nation.

A report on indigenous wellbeing has found a huge increase in self-harm, mental health, suicide and incarceration for First Nation people. There has been a 57% increase in adult incarceration in the past 14 years and a staggering 48% increase in hospitalisations for intentional self-harm.

There’s also been a huge reduction in access to clean water, sewerage and electricity, which has been previously reported by 10 Things.

Yes, some things are getting better (education for some, home ownership another on the rise) but when the basic aspects of life - health, security, peace of mind, access to basic amenities and actual survival - are plummeting, we must realise how critically Australia has failed the First Nation.

Meanwhile, the West Australian government are going to close between 100-150 indigenous communities.

http://www.thevine.com.au/life/10-thingsi/10-things-australia-officially-stops-pretending-to-be-humane-20141119-290317/?page=0&utm_source=thevine&utm_medium=pager&utm_campaign=internal-testing
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Australia officially stops pretending to be humane Empty Re: Australia officially stops pretending to be humane

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 am

Christ, reminds me of U.S. immigration policy. You hear the right wing talking about people who immigrated legally, as though it's just filling out a few forms, passing a quiz and taking an oath.

Actually you could easily die waiting:

... a brother or sister of a U.S. citizen from the Philippines applying for a family-sponsored visas may have been waiting 24 years, as those visas have been oversubscribed, according to the State Department's latest figures. (The wait times don't advance by one month every month, however, and the actual time in line often ends up being longer, explains Dan Kowalski, a Texas-based immigration lawyer.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/31/how-long-is-the-immigration-line-as-long-as-24-years/

I'd love to see some polling on how Australians view this move.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Australia officially stops pretending to be humane Empty Re: Australia officially stops pretending to be humane

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:21 am

well they stopped the boats and we're all still get ass rammed

so most people are now starting to wake up to the fact it is not the boats that are the problem.

we have seen a huge leap in the gap between haves and have not under Abbott and the fact he is an embarrassment internationally isn't looking good for him at next election.

Mind You Murdoch is still supporting him and so is Rinehart so millions of dollars in 'donations' can be expected to try and get Tony re-elected.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 am

I do have a friend who emigrated to Australia a few years back; I think she likes Abbott as quite a few if her Facebook posts are in support of this.
The truth is, some people just simply don't want their countries to change. I don't think it makes them bad people, or necessarily wrong.
I have to be honest, I'd like a big old fat cap on immigration to England. I like a mix of people but in some areas, I'm definitely feeling like the minority - and that's not right, when it's your own country.....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 am

Amazing though isn't it- an emigrant to Australia supports a man opposed to immigration to Australia- I imagine if Abbot was making it a nightmare for your friend to emigrate they wouldn't be so favourable ;-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:33 am

@eddie
while you could make an argument for UK

it's not our country we stole it pirat
we can impose some sort of regulation but we cant really deny other people 'a fair go' which used to be the Aussie ideal although Americanization has seen it decline Neutral

Personally I prefer those that risk there live to get here (it shows ingenuity and drive Wink ) than someone that just sat in a camp for the god awful amount of time it takes refugees to get processed and resettled. Crying or Very sad
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am

Eilzel wrote:Amazing though isn't it- an emigrant to Australia supports a man opposed to immigration to Australia- I imagine if Abbot was making it a nightmare for your friend to emigrate they wouldn't be so favourable ;-)

the main difference here is that 'currently' it is all focused on 'boat people' refugees, and some argument can be made about queue jumping which is also made by other immigrants like eddies friend  Rolling Eyes  (like i said above i think it is OK and understand that in that situation you do anything to get out of it)
but there is a fair portion of the anti-boat people crowd that are just plain racists Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Amazing though isn't it- an emigrant to Australia supports a man opposed to immigration to Australia- I imagine if Abbot was making it a nightmare for your friend to emigrate they wouldn't be so favourable ;-)

the main difference here is that 'currently' it is all focused on 'boat people' refugees, and some argument can be made about queue jumping which is also made by other immigrants like eddies friend  Rolling Eyes  (like i said above i think it is OK and understand that in that situation you do anything to get out of it)
but there is a fair portion of the anti-boat people crowd that are just plain racists Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Agreed, they don't like the skin tone of those on the boats so they treat them differently. It is kind of repulsive actually that so much anger is focused on those who have suffered so much already in life that they see risking their lives to live in a country where there will be intolerance from a sizeable number of people.

Where is the compassion? Especially in a place like Australia with many resources and vast amounts of 'space' as it were (compared to many European countries) and as you say, a place with a history (very recent history) of being a place filled with people from other parts of the world.

^Eds I must say, with all respect to you, I strongly dislike your friends attitude (if indeed she endorses Abbott and his government on this)- she is not Australian, yet would stop people who, unlike her who could have remained in the UK, from coming who are escaping horrible lives in backward nations.

Is people 'not wanting things to change' really more important than giving a home to people who have actually experienced REAL troubles in their life? This is a crappy card to play in the UK, which is a small island with 70 million inhabitants- but in Australia...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 am

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 am

Good post Eddie, if people don't like it --fuck em!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:59 pm

So, it all comes down to the fact you don't like the English, much like the other Colonists on here!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Agreed, they don't like the skin tone of those on the boats so they treat them differently. It is kind of repulsive actually that so much anger is focused on those who have suffered so much already in life that they see risking their lives to live in a country where there will be intolerance from a sizeable number of people.

Where is the compassion? Especially in a place like Australia with many resources and vast amounts of 'space' as it were (compared to many European countries) and as you say, a place with a history (very recent history) of being a place filled with people from other parts of the world.

^Eds I must say, with all respect to you, I strongly dislike your friends attitude (if indeed she endorses Abbott and his government on this)- she is not Australian, yet would stop people who, unlike her who could have remained in the UK, from coming who are escaping horrible lives in backward nations.

Is people 'not wanting things to change' really more important than giving a home to people who have actually experienced REAL troubles in their life? This is a crappy card to play in the UK, which is a small island with 70 million inhabitants- but in Australia...

My sentiments exactly, I find it hypocritical she has been allowed the benefit of joining a new nation to then judge if others should be allowed to come. Seriously humans have been migrating for thousands of years and wrongly believe they can deny people wishing to make new lives for themselves off poor concepts.
Humans have a long way to go until the adavance ethically and morally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 pm

eddie wrote:I do have a friend who emigrated to Australia a few years back; I think she likes Abbott as quite a few if her Facebook posts are in support of this.
The truth is, some people just simply don't want their countries to change. I don't think it makes them bad people, or necessarily wrong.
I have to be honest, I'd like a big old fat cap on immigration to England. I like a mix of people but in some areas, I'm definitely feeling like the minority - and that's not right, when it's your own country.....

Hi Eddie

Minority?
We are all human though, so how can you be a minority unless you view people as very much different to you, when every single human has the capability to all do, act the same, etc? Seriously in the last few centuries those classed as white colonised areas where other indegeneous people were living and their ancestors are normally the ones wishing to deny immigration to these countries. It is such a poor view held by people. Seriously why do people seek to divide people instead of uniting them.
We have to get past this outdatede view we have of humans.
Imaginary boundaries have created to make people think they again own a land, just from being born onto it. It really is backward notion to have. Where our own selfish needs come first before others, on every level I find that wrong.
Not one person makes a country function individually, yet many argue off the fact as if they do. We need to start early to educate how and why we are lucky to be born into a society that provides the chance to do well in life and not think we can deny this of others.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Eddie, how did I know you'd get that type of answer?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Brasidas wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

My sentiments exactly, I find it hypocritical she has been allowed the benefit of joining a new nation to then judge if others should be allowed to come. Seriously humans have been migrating for thousands of years and wrongly believe they can deny people wishing to make new lives for themselves off poor concepts.
Humans have a long way to go until the adavance ethically and morally.

It is crazy hypocritical and like wolf Said Abbott Himself is a migrant.. Shocked Shocked Shocked

It is weird because the thing is boats specifically, doesn't matter the colour of the skin but it does tend to be dark, I don't know why the media/racists have become fixated on boats that make up a VERY small percentage of total refugees and even smaller of total migrants across all skin colours. Suspect Suspect Suspect

apart from Race there may also be elements of 'Economic Prejudice' as the one thing all the people have in common is they are poor.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 am

Australia officially stops pretending to be humane Enhanced-23929-1417543644-17

they say the typo was an accident... maybe it was the universe making things more accurate. scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down