NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Famous People With Purple Hearts

2 posters

Go down

8 Famous People With Purple Hearts Empty 8 Famous People With Purple Hearts

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Most of you already know that Purple Hearts are medals awarded to soldiers who have been injured by the enemy while serving in the U.S. Military (or posthumously to those killed in combat), but you might not know that these famous figures have received the medal.

1. Charles Bronson

You know Charles Bronson for his roles in Once Upon a Time in the West, The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen and Death Wish, but did you know he probably never would have become an actor if it weren’t for the military? Bronson, whose last name was Buchinsky before he changed it during the Red Scare of the 1950s, was so poor as a child that he once had to wear his sister’s dress to school because there were literally no other clothes for him in the house. In 1943, Charles enlisted in the Army Air Corps where he started out working as a truck driver, but eventually became a tail gunner in a B-29. After the war was over, he was awarded a Purple Heart for an injury he received in the service and used the GI Bill to study acting, which eventually helped him become the action hero we are all familiar with.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12265/8-famous-people-purple-hearts

Back to top Go down

8 Famous People With Purple Hearts Empty Re: 8 Famous People With Purple Hearts

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Purple hearts? I don't want to diminish the importance for people with legs blown off and such. Serious injury is no laughing matter.

But I've seen them awarded for an in-grown toenail.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Well you did exactly that and diminish those who have received them, as I have never heard of anyone winning such a medal for an ingrown toenail. Even if that was true which I do not believe it is, how does that matter when many have fought and suffered in combat? It doesn't hence you tried to diminish. Sometimes you really can be a complete dick at times Quill, but I know you do this deliberately for a reaction, attention seeking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Brasidas wrote:Well you did exactly that and diminish those who have received them, as I have never heard of anyone winning such a medal for an ingrown toenail. Even if that was true which I do not believe it is, how does that matter when many have fought and suffered in combat? It doesn't hence you tried to diminish. Sometimes you really can be a complete dick at times Quill, but I know you do this deliberately for a reaction, attention seeking.

You should really look up the meaning of the phrase...

Wiki wrote:"Shooting the messenger" is a metaphoric phrase used to describe the act of lashing out at the (blameless) bearer of bad news. Until the advent of modern telecommunications, messages were usually delivered by a human envoy. Sometimes, as in war, for example, the messenger was sent from the enemy camp.  An easily provoked combatant receiving such an overture could more easily vent anger (or otherwise retaliate) on the deliverer of the unpopular message than on its author."

I think, like me, you wish to lament the attenuating of the meaning of the purple heart award.  Unlike me, however, you want to play the blame game and find somebody in the immediate vicinity to lash out at.  It's understandable, but perhaps a little history lesson might temper your behavior.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:57 pm

You were not the messenger because you failed to back up your claim, and thus made a claim, so back up your claim not come out with poor excuses.
You diminished the award, of which many an American would no doubt slap you in the face for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:17 pm

8 Famous People With Purple Hearts 695550

Razz Razz Razz Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Well I think when someone claims to have "seen " people be awarded a Purple Heart for an ingrown toenail. When this has never happened, (clearly lying) which is not even an injury sustained in combat, to then not recognize this is diminishing the award for those who have been wounded. You know that poster is being a right clown, with also being very disrespectful, especially on this day of all days, Remembrance Sunday, to those who have received this award for being injured in combat

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:32 pm

8 Famous People With Purple Hearts Internet_argument_xlarge

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Well all can see you were telling porkies and being disrespectful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Audie Murphy got three purple hearts awarded to him. He ended up with post traumatic stress and broke as well. He was killed in a plane crash and is buried in Arlington National cemetery. There was another US war hero who got seven purple hearts but his name escapes me at the moment. I know he is also buried in Arlington National cemetery as well.

Both fine men.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Irn Bru wrote:Audie Murphy got three purple hearts awarded to him. He ended up with post traumatic stress and broke as well. He was killed in a plane crash and is buried in Arlington National cemetery. There was another US war hero who got seven purple hearts but his name escapes me at the moment. I know he is also buried in Arlington National cemetery as well.

Both fine men.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 am

The most Purple Hearts awarded to a single individual is nine. Marine Sgt. Albert L. Ireland holds that distinction, being awarded five Purple Heart Medals in World War II and four more in the Korean War. Seven soldiers, including two Medal of Honor recipients, were awarded eight Purple Hearts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down