NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A random thought

+8
Eilzel
veya_victaous
Fuzzy Zack
Original Quill
Fluffyx
Raggamuffin
eddie
Ben Reilly
12 posters

Go down

A random thought Empty A random thought

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 pm

a while back ben Posted this

A random thought Gun_ow10

cant remember which thread, but the inference was there that this is a "typical" Gun owner

so i got to thinking....

by that reasoning clearly THIS

A random thought Michae10

must be a "typical" Muslim

EITHER that OR our esteemed leader is like so many anti gun nuts a two faced lefty hypocrite.
applying one standard of "fairness" to one group and a different one to another.....
A random thought 859118666 A random thought 2113235493 A random thought 2215183653 A random thought 4086978286 A random thought 1094176690 A random thought 3755771736 A random thought 3177564460 A random thought 3018442852 A random thought 3583224271 A random thought 3583224271 A random thought 3583224271

Back to top Go down

A random thought Empty Re: A random thought

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:56 pm

I thought that was just a typical black guy - isnt A random thought 220px-Jihadi_John a typical Muslim?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Vic, can you tell me where I implied that guy is the typical gun owner? Even if I was using that photo to connote guns (rather than make eddie blush), I would be using it to connote the typical gun nut, not the typical gun owner.

By the way, I own a gun. It's a Rock Island Armory 1911, looks almost exactly like this (even down to the grips) though there aren't any cut-outs on the trigger -- I think mine's an earlier model:

A random thought 1_pistols_ria_tactical_1911_.45_acp_71052
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't think either of those two pictures are typical of anyone tbh Vic?
One is naked and mad and the other is just fucking mad.

I have a huge water squirter. I reckon that would surprise any would-be intruder.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Vic, can you tell me where I implied that guy is the typical gun owner? Even if I was using that photo to connote guns (rather than make eddie blush), I would be using it to connote the typical gun nut, not the typical gun owner.

By the way, I own a gun. It's a Rock Island Armory 1911, looks almost exactly like this (even down to the grips) though there aren't any cut-outs on the trigger -- I think mine's an earlier model:

do you actually USE it (I mean on targets)

And sorry ben...that was a bit mean of me.....

but it did get the topic started....

see ben...over here its getting like this

I owned a gun but the liberalists said that made me a threat so they took it off me (and didge said thats great...its not necessary)
so I went back to my other hobby as a radio ham

and the liberalist said that made me a threat and they took it off me (and didge said thats great its not necessary)

so I went even further back to a hobby I had as a kid, and got out my old stamp collection

but because I was on benefits and my collection was valuable the benefits office said I had to sell it as it was an asset (and didge said thats great...its not necessary)

so now i watch jeremy kyle and act as thick as the rest of them

but you know.....one day you liberalist might want my skills, certainly as a communications expert.....maybe even as a marksman...but you know what.....I will have forgotten how....
and I'm as thick as you now.....so you can drown/starve/burn.....you know why??? (because victor recons thats great....you are not necessary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 pm

eddie wrote:I don't think either of those two pictures are typical of anyone tbh Vic?

I have a huge water squirter. I reckon that would surprise any would-be intruder.

I had to read this twice.........

first time i read I am a big squirter Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed ...............and thought yep that WOULD surprise any intruder Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 am

It's been a while since I've taken it to the range, but I've got all the basics down for what I need it for (home invasion). You don't have to be a great shot to hit somebody who can't get to you without walking down a long, narrow hallway Smile

Mainly, it's the vibe you get at a U.S. gun range these days. Every third person seems to be some scary future shooting-spree killer type, and range fees and ammo prices are through the roof.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't take away your gun, ham radio or stamps. I don't know if that makes me not a "liberalist" or makes you wrong on what a "liberalist" really is.

Then again, I've always been a bit unclear on what you mean by "liberalist" ... it seems to be a synonym of "social engineer" the way you use it, but a dictionary would say it's more like "a person who espouses a political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Liberalist
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
eddie wrote:I don't think either of those two pictures are typical of anyone tbh Vic?

I had to read this twice.........

first time i read I am a big squirter  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed ...............and thought yep that WOULD surprise any intruder Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Hahahahahahaha lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Vic, can you tell me where I implied that guy is the typical gun owner? Even if I was using that photo to connote guns (rather than make eddie blush), I would be using it to connote the typical gun nut, not the typical gun owner.

You own a gun? Shocked

I'm going to be really nice to you from now on. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

You own a gun? Shocked

I'm going to be really nice to you from now on. Laughing

Don't worry, it doesn't shoot that far A random thought 3755771736
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Is there more gun crime in the USA where guns are legal Ben and what criteria does someone have to meet to own one?

I go back and forth on gun ownership. I understand people want to protect themselves and their homes if an intruder was to trespass on their property.

But I am glad they are not legal to own here,I can't really articulate why except to me more guns equate to more violence and more potential fatality.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Gun ownership is legal everywhere in the US. Some places have restrictions, that's all.

In order to assess guns you have to separate intention from opportunity. The rw is correct when they say, if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. That's the intentional aspect.

But guns also pose an opportunity aspect. When you are angry or drunk you might have the intent, but without guns everywhere you don't have the opportunity. Make them legal, and suddenly you have the explosive chemistry.

Much as we like to think of ourselves as forever rational, we are not. The reason why nations who don't allow firearms in everyday settings are lower in gun deaths, is because there isn't a gun in reach every time you get drunk, or get into a domestic dispute, or a dispute with your neighbor, etc., etc.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:Is there more gun crime in the USA where guns are legal Ben and what criteria does someone have to meet to own one?

I go back and forth on gun ownership. I understand people want to protect themselves and their homes if an intruder was to trespass on their property.

But I am glad they are not legal to own here,I can't really articulate why except to me more guns equate to more violence and more potential fatality.

eh?????  

yah dont say???

oh dear

A random thought B725_h10

one of my guns. A browning B725 12 guage under and over

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by veya_victaous Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:Is there more gun crime in the USA where guns are legal Ben and what criteria does someone have to meet to own one?

eh?????  

yah dont say???

oh dear

A random thought B725_h10

one of my guns. A browning B725 12 guage under and over

Yeah but that's just a tool, not like pistols which are for shooting people.
Similar bolt action rifles, not the same as semi automatic. If you are hunting you should be good enough for that to be fine

And you forgot is it typical gun owner or American gun owner geek
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:56 am

A random thought Shooting-Jacket-small

I imagine english gun owners more like this Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 am

I love how the British gun owner stereotype has so much more class than the crazed cowboy American one lol Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 am

Eilzel wrote:I love how the British gun owner stereotype has so much more class than the crazed cowboy American one lol Smile

Wellll...the jacket doesn't match. Green and brown. Echhht. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:02 am

I have that same exact hat, but in dark green; wore it tonight in fact Smile Though paired with a t-shirt and jeans.

Just a few answers/points ... I think guns (at least handguns) are made for killing people, I don't like them. It was way too easy to acquire the one I have now and the one I had before -- I bought them from friends, which is totally legal in Texas ... which is insane. (My previous gun was a much nicer Sig Sauer P220 which -- absolutely true story -- I sold in order to have more pocket money at the 2010 State Fair of Texas. Rain down your ridicule.)

Where I live, it makes me feel safer to have one than to not have one ... on my trip to Colorado I kept trying to figure out what felt so different, and I finally figured out that besides the incredible mountains visible from everywhere I went, it was the fact that I went days without hearing a police siren. Here, I often find myself pausing whatever I'm watching on TV in order to tell whether the sirens I'm hearing are on the show or just outside in my neighborhood, and I actually live in a pretty low-crime area.

Where I used to live, I would see police approaching a neighboring house with guns drawn. I'm just saying that it's so ingrained around here that it's not going to be something with a simple solution. I'd love to see more gun restrictions, but when you have a huge community of people who proudly call themselves "gun lovers" (still looking for the equivalent "hammer lovers" or "lathe lovers" communities), it's not going to be fixed quickly or simply.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 am

I had this at that State Fair, by the way:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7973944/Deep-fried-beer-invented-in-Texas.html

It was awful.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 am

Fuzzy Zack wrote:

Bet my water squirter is bigger than yours. Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

I'm double-barrelled mate Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm

HAha ha ha ha, what a tit!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm

nicko wrote:HAha ha ha ha, what a tit!

C U Jimmy
A random thought Russabbot0709_228x411

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Wellll...the jacket doesn't match.  Green and brown.  Echhht. Rolling Eyes

alien       afro       A random thought 1481518877

NOTHING WRONG with green and brown, Quill ~ that's only natural, in fact...

NOR green and blue, or green and red, for that matter..

THE whole trick in getting the colour combinations looking 'right' and in harmony, is in finding the correct shade of green to go with those complimentary or contrasting colours.    Razz

Well yes, as I look at it again, it works. It's just that when I first saw the green over brown, I got the impression that it was dark in the closet and he grabbed for the wrong hanger. But it only works because of the earth tones; a forest green wouldn't work. But that's what you just said, isn't it?

Admit that blue and brown works. My bedroom sheets--at least one set--are of that combination.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm

veya_victaous wrote:A random thought Shooting-Jacket-small

I imagine english gun owners more like this Wink

to an extent thats true

MOST "game shooters"
will wear smart tweeds, tie etc.

its part of a long standing tradition, that speaks of "respect for quarry" (which also includes humane treatment, quick dispatch of any wounded, and, by rights NEVER leaving a drive till ALL "runners" are accounted for) and its also "respect" for your landowner on who's land you are shooting

smart shoes may well be dispensed with if the footing is unsuitable, on our shoot wellies are often required, rather than optional...

However dont let the fact that most shooters will deress like this fool you into thinking its a "rich mans game " it isnt and the cost of a set of good tweeds neednt be extortionate.

there is a large disparity in costs for different shoots....

a SINGLE "driven day" (which I DONT do as I dont see driven birds as sporting) can cost as much as £2500 PLUS up to £80 per bird...

the shoot I attend is a "diy" syndicate and we pay £250 per year each, do our own "keepering" and have 10 "walked up" days per year

we normally only take a brace of birds per gun...so if there are 4 of us on a given day we only take 8 birds then finish for the day...and the birds are as we say "walked up...I.e flushed out from cover by walking through said cover (with dogs to help cover a bit more ground)

far more difficult that "driven birds", personally, I think far more ethical and damn hard work...

ON THE OTHER HAND....

those of us who do pest control all year round as well...are likely to be found in camo (or at least combat type greens) during that work.....(for obvious reasons...)

I'm often to be found dressed head to foot in green with a lightweight "viper" combat vest, quietly walking around hegerows or sitting under a bit of cover....

why a "viper combat vest"?

its lighter than a back pack...
Its got shed loads of pockets
for

spare shells
knife
priest
Ist aid kit
water (for me AND woofit)
sarnies
waterproof cape
phone
and a nice big mesh pocket for any "lunch" that just might "volunteer to quit this sphere"

and it keeps the load better balanced than a back pack...(and closer to you own body center of gravity)

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 am

Maybe one of the weapons above could sort this guy out. Need I say more, he may be contagious...

A random thought Ebola10
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Yeah, I've got a shooting vest, too. Someone gave it to me. Sooo loose. Hardly ever use it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah, mine too as lots of side-straps. Still not for fashion.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

to an extent thats true

MOST "game shooters"
will wear smart tweeds, tie etc.

AND no doubt just what Victor and nicko both looked like back in their 20s and 30s ?

you are of course quite right, we were (and still are)  country gentlemen of the highest calibre

its part of a long standing tradition, that speaks of "respect for quarry" (which also includes humane treatment, quick dispatch of any wounded, and, by rights NEVER leaving a drive till ALL "runners" are accounted for) and its also "respect" for your landowner on who's land you are shooting

smart shoes may well be dispensed with if the footing is unsuitable, on our shoot wellies are often required, rather than optional...

However dont let the fact that most shooters will deress like this fool you into thinking its a "rich mans game " it isnt and the cost of a set of good tweeds neednt be extortionate.

£15-20 at your local charity shop, and you're completely outfitted..

you aint wrong

there is a large disparity in costs for different shoots....

a SINGLE "driven day" (which I DONT do as I dont see driven birds as sporting) can cost as much as £2500 PLUS up to £80 per bird...

the shoot I attend is a "diy" syndicate and we pay £250 per year each, do our own  "keepering"  and have 10 "walked up" days per year

we normally only take a brace of birds per gun...so if there are 4 of us on a given day we only take 8 birds then finish  for the day...and the birds are as we say "walked up...I.e flushed out from cover by walking through said cover (with dogs to help cover a bit more ground)  

far more difficult that "driven birds", personally, I think far more ethical and damn hard work...

Those evil and despicable "Driven birds" practices, and the even worse USA-style "turkey shoots", are for the lazy crazy short-sighted scum-suckers who can't even shoot straight, even when sober...

now theres a truth if ever there was one....

ON THE OTHER HAND....

those of us who do pest control all year round as well...are likely to be found in camo (or at least combat type greens) during that work.....(for obvious reasons...)

I have some genuine camo' gear (i.e not fashion 'knock-offs') kicking around here, too..

I'm often to be found dressed head to foot in green with a lightweight "viper" combat vest, quietly walking around hegerows or sitting under a bit of cover....

why a "viper combat vest"?

its lighter than a back pack...
Its got shed loads of pockets
for

spare shells
knife
priest
Ist aid kit
water (for me AND woofit)
sarnies
waterproof cape
phone
and a nice big mesh pocket for any "lunch" that just might "volunteer to quit this sphere"

and it keeps the load better balanced than a back pack...(and closer to you own body center of gravity)

I have both a vest and a set of webbing plus several pouches among my 'kit' as well.
AND I don't even go shooting..
     A random thought 1366281442

I could see the use of that kkit I have even for the wildlife photographer and or serious hiker. Especially since most of these "combat vest types" are capable of carrying a water bladder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Speaking of pouches, can anybody tell me the connection between Davy Crockett and the rock band Genesis?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Speaking of pouches, can anybody tell me the connection between Davy Crockett and the rock band Genesis?

Phil Collins donated the biggest load of privately held Alamo memorabilia to the actual Alamo National Park.

so you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Yep! He's about to hand over a lot of items, including Crockett's ammo pouch (which I believe was found with four musket balls and two tortillas inside).

Actually got a press release about it today A random thought 2984306523 A random thought 2984306523 A random thought 2984306523
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yep! He's about to hand over a lot of items, including Crockett's ammo pouch (which I believe was found with four musket balls and two tortillas inside).

Actually got a press release about it today A random thought 2984306523 A random thought 2984306523 A random thought 2984306523

howindahell did 2 tortillas survive this long? hes donated stuff before I believe .....I saw him talk about his obsession on a Brit late night show years ago......

you gonna go on a jaunt?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:15 am

Cass wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Yep! He's about to hand over a lot of items, including Crockett's ammo pouch (which I believe was found with four musket balls and two tortillas inside).

howindahell did 2 tortillas survive this long?    hes donated stuff before I believe .....I saw him talk about his obsession on a Brit late night show years ago......

you gonna go on a jaunt?

Oh no, not this kid. I've seen the Alamo and more importantly, the gigantic line to get in, and people have told me it's really not worth the tour.

It's pretty cool though, photos usually just depict the chapel, but there's a whole complex of buildings around it (sorry if you already knew this), some really old oak trees, etc. -- here's the courtyard:

A random thought 1280px-Old_well_and_oak_tree_in_Alamo_courtyard%2C_San_Antonio%2C_Texas%2C_June_4_2007

A random thought 9813_tn
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

A random thought L5108e843-m0xd-w400_h300_q80

I've always enjoyed the Kit Carson house,
Taos, New Mexico.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down