NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters

Go down

'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters Empty 'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 pm

'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters Photo11

Last week, a single tweet took Jennifer Williams -- an unassuming "blonde tattooed Texas girl" -- from relative obscurity to Twitter stardom.

The problem is that a “healthy number” of her enthusiastic new followers may be Islamic extremists.

“One guy told me how beautiful I would look in hijab (in other words, how beautiful I would look once I covered myself up and stopped looking like an infidel),” she wrote on the blog Lawfare about her growing Twitter fandom. “Another just straight up asked me to marry him.”

Williams is Brookings Institute researcher who spent years studying religious extremism and the Middle East before finally realizing that she’d never actually read the Quran. So she took the plunge and unexpectedly found answers to the questions about morality and belief that she’d had since childhood. She converted to Islam three years ago and is now finding that she constantly has to defend her faith from the extremists who twist it to justify violence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/jennifer-williams-isis-twitter_n_5930122.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters Empty Re: 'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:23 am

Wow how did she learn about morality where women are seen and taught as second to men?
Again this sums up my views of the abrahamic faiths where clearly people are avoiding or glossing over aspects of the works found in religion.
Clearly to me many religious people are searching for something, but looking in the wrong direction, because myths may bring some sense of relief but never answer any fundamental questions.

Back to top Go down

'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters Empty Re: 'Tattooed, Blonde, Muslim Texas girl' fighting to distance herself from ISIS supporters

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Didge wrote:Wow how did she learn about morality where women are seen and taught as second to men?
Again this sums up my views of the abrahamic faiths where clearly people are avoiding or glossing over aspects of the works found in religion.
Clearly to me many religious people are searching for something, but looking in the wrong direction, because myths may bring some sense of relief but never answer any fundamental questions.

I think a lot of people are too intimidated to look outside some ancient faith for the answers to moral questions. The idea of deciding what you think is right and what you think is wrong is just a bit too much for some, and it can be scary at times but it's also really empowering.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:Wow how did she learn about morality where women are seen and taught as second to men?

I think a lot of people are too intimidated to look outside some ancient faith for the answers to moral questions. The idea of deciding what you think is right and what you think is wrong is just a bit too much for some, and it can be scary at times but it's also really empowering.

Agreed Ben, all they should look and see for themselves that what is found in religious works, is found way earlier in other works, where you can go all the way back tot he Sumarians, who actually believed in flesh and blood Gods. The reality is most morals are thousands of years old and religions plagiarize such works to entice people or in my view fool them with words of wisdom, making them thus then ignore other parts in those works. To me it is effective but very misleading, being as there are many conflicts found within.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Exactly, and most of what's found in basic religious moral codes are things normal people already agree with -- don't murder, don't cheat, don't lie, don't steal, don't hurt people. Even dogs and monkeys (and many other animals) understand basic fairness and know the difference between kindness and cruelty.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down