NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger?

3 posters

Go down

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Empty Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 am

The “pirate brand” has long been tied to the skull and crossbones—the Jolly Roger—as a symbol of terror on the high seas. A 2011 article in The New York Times hails the ominous design as a magnificent exercise in collective hybrid branding, noting that economics drove pirates to adopt a version of this particular symbol to facilitate their intent to plunder. It’s a fascinating discussion on the efficiency and power that good branding can deliver, but it overlooks the ways in which the power of the symbol as we recognize it draws in part in the acceptance and manipulation of the image by others.
Piracy has likely long been a feature of the open seas, following the earliest trade routes of the Aegean and Mediterranean. Cilicians were active in the Mediterranean and tolerated by the Roman Empire for the slaves they provided, and were only reigned in when they gained such a presence as to become a threat to the Empire’s grain supply in 67 BCE. The Senate approved “a comprehensive and systematic strategy and an astutely humane policy to the vanquished” to eliminate the Cilicians within a matter of months (1). Despite this historical legacy, the familiar skull and crossbones that many of us associate with piracy is a recent development, emerging in the late 17th-century with the rise of the pirates of the Caribbean.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/2014/09/19/why-did-pirates-fly-the-jolly-roger/

Back to top Go down

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Empty Re: Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger?

Post by nicko Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:14 am

If i was "rogered" i would not feel very "jolly"
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Empty Re: Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:19 am

Didge wrote:The “pirate brand” has long been tied to the skull and crossbones—the Jolly Roger—as a symbol of terror on the high seas. A 2011 article in The New York Times hails the ominous design as a magnificent exercise in collective hybrid branding, noting that economics drove pirates to adopt a version of this particular symbol to facilitate their intent to plunder. It’s a fascinating discussion on the efficiency and power that good branding can deliver, but it overlooks the ways in which the power of the symbol as we recognize it draws in part in the acceptance and manipulation of the image by others.
Piracy has likely long been a feature of the open seas, following the earliest trade routes of the Aegean and Mediterranean. Cilicians were active in the Mediterranean and tolerated by the Roman Empire for the slaves they provided, and were only reigned in when they gained such a presence as to become a threat to the Empire’s grain supply in 67 BCE. The Senate approved “a comprehensive and systematic strategy and an astutely humane policy to the vanquished” to eliminate the Cilicians within a matter of months (1). Despite this historical legacy, the familiar skull and crossbones that many of us associate with piracy is a recent development, emerging in the late 17th-century with the rise of the pirates of the Caribbean.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/2014/09/19/why-did-pirates-fly-the-jolly-roger/

I thought I had read somewhere that it was also associated with a symbol pub owners used to use during the Plague -- basically sending the macabre message that you're probably going to die soon, might as well live it up while you can :\\:[:
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 pm

well...i suppose its better the jolly roger than the buggered badger.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Speaking of pirates has anyone seen Shady?  Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Pirate17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:39 pm

Nah, he must be out at sea again FTL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Didge wrote:Nah, he must be out at sea again FTL.

Well he wasn't drinking the rum in Barbados Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Pirate18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:44 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Didge wrote:Nah, he must be out at sea again FTL.

Well he wasn't drinking the rum in Barbados Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Pirate18

That is because you hoarded it all FTL.

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? 2097912929

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Didge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Oops_216 Hahahaha! News travels fast hey Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Ashame47 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 am

feelthelove wrote:
Didge wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Oops_216 Hahahaha! News travels fast hey Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Ashame47 x

Welcome back, FTL! You missed the Great Avatar and Smiley Outage.

I'm glad you weren't around to see us lose half our smilies, it would have broken your heart Crying or Very sad
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:13 am

Hi, FTL lov...welcome back. Same ole, same ole round here.

xx

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Original Quill wrote:Hi, FTL lov...welcome back.  Same ole, same ole round here.

xx

Thanks Quill Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Kiss_c30 xxx

@ Ben, thank you  I love you !  I'm glad I missed it but don't worry if it happens again, I have a whole library stored and backed up Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Queen11 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:41 am

feelthelove wrote:Speaking of pirates has anyone seen Shady?  Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Pirate17

I miss Shady Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Nems wrote:
feelthelove wrote:Speaking of pirates has anyone seen Shady?  Why did Pirates Fly the Jolly Roger? Pirate17

I miss Shady Sad

Yes, I liked him too.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down