NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting

5 posters

Go down

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting Empty Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting

Post by Irn Bru Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:11 am

He certainly did.

Gordon Brown entered the IndyRef debate late because no-one down at Westminster was doing anything as the Yes campaign surged to narrow the gap. They thought it was in the bag and were complacent that a win for No was virtually certain. Brown stepped up and gave them all a wake up call and set the agenda with some barnstorming speeches and a timetable and next thing you know there was a flurry of activity as the party leaders and back-enchers jumped on planes and trains to get up here as fast as they could.

Brown and Labour won it for them and in the process probably saved Cameron’s job as well.

Well I never Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting Empty Re: Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting

Post by Frazzled Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 am

I think Brown gave the best speech of his life.
Frazzled
Frazzled
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting Empty Re: Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Irn Bru wrote:He certainly did.

Gordon Brown entered the IndyRef debate late because no-one down at Westminster was doing anything as the Yes campaign surged to narrow the gap. They thought it was in the bag and were complacent that a win for No was virtually certain.  Brown stepped up and gave them all a wake up call and set the agenda  with some barnstorming speeches and a timetable and next thing you know there was a flurry of activity as the party leaders and back-enchers jumped on planes and trains to get up here as fast as they could.

Brown and Labour won it for them and in the process probably saved Cameron’s job as well.

Well I never Laughing

Dear me that is poor for some to claim they saved the Union, when the vote was already in the bag weeks ago, if anything it was the Yes camp, that made people who were not bothered about the vote got out and vote. This was a foregone conclusion as I told you a few weeks ago, for anyone to claim credit is absurd. Yes he did a great speech, which takes nothing away from the fact he was about one of the worst PM's this country has ever had.
It was the people of Scotland that saved the Union, those who had already decided months ago, they just were pushed into action, by one poll that gave the yes the lead, nothing more Irn, as the polls in the lead up to this were as seen very misleading, as it was never close as the Polls suggested.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:00 pm

I think a number of people who were undecided voted no when they saw the disgraceful way some of the "yes" bullies were acting!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Frazzled Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 am

Nevertheless, the problem has been ignored for too long.  Why should MPs from Scotland (and Wales and Ireland) be allowed to vote on purely English matters, when English MPs are not allowed to vote on Scottish, Welsh and Irish matters?  I'm a traditional Labour voter and realise this will hit Labour hard.  
Maybe the English should have a referendum to see if they really care about the West Lothian Question?
Frazzled
Frazzled
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Frazzled wrote:Nevertheless, the problem has been ignored for too long.  Why should MPs from Scotland (and Wales and Ireland) be allowed to vote on purely English matters, when English MPs are not allowed to vote on Scottish, Welsh and Irish matters?  I'm a traditional Labour voter and realise this will hit Labour hard.  
Maybe the English should have a referendum to see if they really care about the West Lothian Question?

Sounds like England needs a referendum seeking its own independence. Lol. That would address all of the problems you raise. England goes it alone!

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting English-independence-think-about-it1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 pm

nicko wrote:I think a number of people who were undecided voted no when they saw the disgraceful way some of the "yes" bullies were acting!!

On the whole both sides in the campaign were well behaved although there were certainly some idiots on both sides including this clown...

Gordon Brown and Labour saved the United Kingdom from splitting 202460

I hope they catch the sad sack who tweeted that and give him what he deserves.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am

Didge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:He certainly did.

Gordon Brown entered the IndyRef debate late because no-one down at Westminster was doing anything as the Yes campaign surged to narrow the gap. They thought it was in the bag and were complacent that a win for No was virtually certain.  Brown stepped up and gave them all a wake up call and set the agenda  with some barnstorming speeches and a timetable and next thing you know there was a flurry of activity as the party leaders and back-enchers jumped on planes and trains to get up here as fast as they could.

Well I never Laughing

Dear me that is poor for some to claim they saved the Union, when the vote was already in the bag weeks ago, if anything it was the Yes camp, that made people who were not bothered about the vote got out and vote. This was a foregone conclusion as I told you a few weeks ago, for anyone to claim credit is absurd. Yes he did a great speech, which takes nothing away from the fact he was about one of the worst PM's this country has ever had.
It was the people of Scotland that saved the Union, those who had already decided months ago, they just were pushed into action, by one poll that gave the yes the lead, nothing more Irn, as the polls in the lead up to this were as seen very misleading, as it was never close as the Polls suggested.

Don’t be ridiculous Didge. Brown’s intervention in the referendum debate was instrumental in heading off the Yes campaign who were narrowing the gap bit by bit and the poll of polls reflected this – not just one poll as you suggest. The polls were extremely accurate in the way people were intending to vote but what they couldn’t predict was what the undecided would do on polling day.
Brown turned the tide in favour of the No campaign and that has been widely recognised by most political commentators across the political divide. None of the Westminster leaders were doing anything serious about the decline in the No campaign so Brown took the imitative and next thing you know they and their MPs were heading for Scotland in droves to help save the day. Try not to let your anti-Scottish prejudice deny you giving the guy a clap on the back for the great job he did in securing the margin that the No campaign finally achieved.

Go on. I’m sure you can bring yourself to do it – just this once.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:00 am

Incorrect, there is no proof his intervention did, you believe it did, but there is no proof when people already had not made up their mind, it is the ramblings of the left again being so deluded.
It was the poll that gave the yes the lead that brought people to action and vote
Show me the evidence of the mass of people that changed their minds based upon his speech, it has to be hundreds of thousands.

In your own time and if you base this on polls I will laugh at you.
Again you neglect the fact many had made up their mind already and when people say don't know through history this means no, based upon so many other situations and in the end it never was even close.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:56 am

Didge wrote:Incorrect, there is no proof his intervention did, you believe it did, but there is no proof when people already had not made up their mind, it is the ramblings of the left again being so deluded.
It was the poll that gave the yes the lead that brought people to action and vote
Show me the evidence of the mass of people that changed their minds based upon his speech, it has to be hundreds of thousands.

In your own time and if you base this on polls I will laugh at you.
Again you neglect the fact many had made up their mind already and when people say don't know through history this means no, based upon so many other situations and in the end it never was even close.

The polls were narrowing and the poll of polls reflected this. YouGov did a poll on the final day by contacting exactly the same people they contacted before when the gap was tight and the final poll returned a gap of  YES 46%, NO 54% almost exactly as the final result turned out.  So there you go Didge, the movement was reflected in the polls showing a swing to NO after Brown got involved.

The UK press have widely acknowledged that Brown’s intervention secured the NO vote by waking up the establishment who you may have noticed jumped on trains and planes to get here as fast as they can to save the day. A few examples for you to chew over lol.

Gordon Brown: the man who will save the Union?

The UK press is praising the former Labour Prime Minister for his 11th-hour intervention, suggesting he should have had a more significant role in the Better Together campaign.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/09/gordon-brown-man-who-will-save-union

Scottish referendum: Gordon Brown was reborn in taking the fight to Alex Salmond

Mirror columnist Paul Routledge says Scots and English alike owe Gordon Brown a debt of gratitude for saving his country from itself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scottish-referendum-gordon-brown-reborn-4283642#ixzz3EHJoi3v2

Scottish independence referendum: Gordon Brown leads desperate fightback for No campaign as new poll confirms Yes vote surge

TNS poll showed among those certain to vote that the campaigns were tied
41%-41%, with women continuing to move to support independence

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/scottish-independence-referendum-gordon-brown-7739205

See, most people can see this but not you. You just can’t bring yourself to do it so just carry on and tell us who’s up next in for you to have a go at with your racially aggravated language that seeps out every now and again? Not the jumped up Jocks or the thick Jocks so I guess it will probably be along the lines of  the Krauts, the Wops, the Paki’s, the Frogs or some other nationality that comes under your radar?

I was cutting you a bit of slack on this Didge and banking on you putting aside your anti-Scottish bile and prejudice but you have let me down badly.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:51 am

Ha ha fail I knew you would use polls to back an absurd claim, lets see some evidence, real evidence.
I am not anti Scottish, just anti you, which is why you are such an idiot at the best of times, why it is so much fun to play with your stupidity, where again you are using polls as your evidence, off views made on them, which is utterly daft, when it is well known why people voted. 

http://rs21.org.uk/2014/09/23/scottish-independence-why-didnt-the-working-class-yes-vote-win-the-day/

Bugger all to do with Brown, as again the only thing that brought people into action was the one poll that put the yes in the lead, so again you have no evidence to back your absurd claim, plus the fact the don't knows were always considerd to be no votes from the start and by consistency in elections etc.
Plus I also think it is comical to back such a loser of a failed PM, but please continue as you are making my day.

::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down