NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused

5 posters

Go down

99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused Empty 99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:56 am

Sweden is so efficient at managing waste they’re now importing garbage from other European countries.

Swedes generally waste as much as people in other countries, around 461 kilograms per person each year - but only one percent of that is ending up in landfill, thanks to the country’s innovative “recycling” program.
While the Scandinavian country focusses primarily on reducing waste and reusing and recycling items, it has an important extra step in the waste cycle - it burns half its rubbish to generate energy.
The country has 32 waste-to-energy (WTE) plants, where waste is incinerated to produce steam, which is then used to turn generator turbines and produce electricity. Across Sweden, WTE plants provide almost one million homes with heating, and 260,000 with electricity, Zi-Ann Lum reports for the Huffington Post Canada.
This not only cuts down on the amount of waste that ends up in landfills, it also helps reduce the country’s reliance on fossil fuels.
“A good number to remember is that three tonnes of waste contains as much energy as one tonne of fuel oil … so there is a lot of energy in waste,” Göran Skoglund, spokesperson for Öresundskraft, one of the country’s leading energy companies, explains in the video below.
Each year, more than two million tonnes of trash is burnt in Sweden, which means it’s producing approximately 670,000 tonnes worth of fuel oil energy.

http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20140509-26134.html

Back to top Go down

99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused Empty Re: 99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:07 pm

I've heard reports like this and I always have the same question -- why don't all countries, at least in the first world, do this?

Does it have something to do with freedom? ::D::

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused Empty Re: 99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I've heard reports like this and I always have the same question -- why don't all countries, at least in the first world, do this?

Does it have something to do with freedom? ::D::

Absolutely Ben, it makes perfect sense to me 99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused Thumbs46

Priorities perhaps??? Sad

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

It does make you wonder why we can't all do this??

People in this country are also too lazy to recycle. In my neighbourhood only about 30% of us recycle.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm

There are anti-environmental dickweeds everywhere ...

(warning - this video may make you want to commit physical assault)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1PbgwowkeQ
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Wolf I have no idea why people say this. I thought it was just me that thought Britain was pretty lazy and generally against recycling!
I have even heard people say that it's wastes more energy for the lorries to come round and collect the waste than the energy we are saving by collecting it!

I recycle religiously.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
BenitaHanel wrote:
As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced Military Signal Jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

??????

99 percent of Sweden’s waste is now reused Spam

??????

My sentiments as well.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Hmmmmm. Perxactly!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down