NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate

3 posters

Go down

Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate Empty Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 am

http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2014/08/20/3471370/man-sheltering-undocumented-family-receives-death-threats/

Mark Lane felt angry when his young son asked, “Why are those people so mad at the buses?” They had been watching the television when they saw anti-immigrant protesters preventing three buses carrying immigrants, including many children from entering a detention center in Murrieta, California last month. He wasn’t angry at his son. He was “pissed off” that he would have to explain to his son that “the people weren’t mad at the buses, but the people inside those buses” — the people being about 140 undocumented immigrant detainees who were en route to a processing facility for supervised release.

Lane said that he had to explain what hate meant, what being brown meant. Lane decided soon after the conversation that he would illustrate what compassion meant by sheltering a family fleeing violence in Guatemala. But the decision to take in the family has also made him the target of threatening emails, falsified Yelp reviews, phone calls, and death threats by anti-immigrant activists.

“I needed to show my three boys that we don’t use hate,” Lane recently told ThinkProgress. “That’s why I started the ‘Boycott Murrieta’ Facebook page. We were advocating for the children.”

Since the Guatemalan family came to stay with the Lanes four weeks ago, they went from being “hollow-eyed and watching me” to becoming “more animated, more relaxed. They’re in a safe environment and it kind of feels like bringing home a baby from the hospital.” He recalled that the mother was anguished when he used Google Earth to pull up an image of the Guatemalan city they had fled from. She told him, “That’s where I should die a normal death, but we can never go back there. If we go back, we will get killed.” He said that the family would likely stay with him for another month before they find relatives to wait out their immigration court hearings.

Lane said that despite the online threats, the experience has been worth it to show his children compassion. What’s more, “the support has been overwhelming… my business has tripled.” Not only that, Lane said that the death threats from an alleged Neo-Nazi has actually made him want to get more involved with helping fund American families that help with the refugee effort. “This guy has pissed me off so much that it’s strengthened my resolve to support these refugee families. For whatever reason, people think it’s bad to be compassionate, but I don’t feel that way,” he said.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate Empty Re: Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 am

This Guy is Awesome... Great Father Great Human Being
Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate Mark-lane-and-sea-urchin-256x171
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate Empty Re: Fish monger Becomes Accidental Immigration Rights Advocate

Post by Cass Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:56 am

death threats?????? Neo-Nazis????? oh my life.......too bad these knuckle draggers don't get the concept of irony.

he rocks.....apart from his choice of football teams......but seriously he leads by example.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am

A true hero, glad to hear not only of his story but of the fact that he gets more supporters than detractors. It tells me the anti-immigration buttheads are losing in the struggle between good and evil Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down