NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use????

+4
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
veya_victaous
8 posters

Go down

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Empty If they Gun me down... which picture will they use????

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/iftheygunnedmedown-social-media-campaign-wants-picture-to-tell-the-right-story/story-fnjwnhzf-1227022455999

EVER wondered what photo of you would be used if you were killed? African Americans say they do and have started a campaign to stop being misrepresented by the media.

The #IfTheyGunnedMeDown campaign has gone viral on Twitter following the shooting death of 18-year-old unarmed teenager Michael Brown in St Louis.

While the media initially opted for a graduation picture of Brown, a second image of him in a sports singlet and making a hand gesture that could have been interpreted by some as a gang-sign then became a more popular image.

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? But4-B8CQAAxz2nIf they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? But4-BICMAEOxHs
https://twitter.com/hashtag/IfTheyGunnedMeDown?src=hash

Brown’s death has sparked looting and riots in the city.
Eyewitness to Brown’s death, Phillip Walker, said he was on his apartment balcony when he heard a shot and saw a white officer with Brown on the street.
Brown “was giving up in the sense of raising his arms and being subdued,” Mr Walker said. The officer “had his gun raised and started shooting the individual in the chest multiple times.” The officer then “stood over him and shot him” after the victim fell to the ground.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Empty Re: If they Gun me down... which picture will they use????

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:27 am

Leave your own obit. You can include pictures.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Empty Re: If they Gun me down... which picture will they use????

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am

@quill
it is pretty interesting actually

The Guy that started it
has 2 facebook photos
one he is dressed like a 'rapper' for Halloween But could easily be real.
the other shows the real him, presenting a speech along side Bill Clinton.
Which would the media show?

And Look what the 'No Value for Life' AMERICAN police do just like the typical American .. Isn't that right Quill  Wink  the Whole Group of People obviously have no value for life, I mean they Pay Police Officer to Shoot surrendering people as they lay dying on the ground with police bullets in their chest.. That's US tax dollars at work...

a white officer with Brown on the street.
Brown “was giving up in the sense of raising his arms and being subdued,” Mr Walker said. The officer “had his gun raised and started shooting the individual in the chest multiple times.” The officer then “stood over him and shot him” after the victim fell to the ground.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 am

It's pretty well-documented that American media loves to give crime a black face. Here's some interesting work on the subject:

Rome charges contemporary mass media with such "conceptual entrapment by imagery" in his new book, Black Demons: Mass Media's Depiction of the African American Male Criminal Stereotype, published this month by Praeger Publishers. While the book is geared to the college classroom, Rome wrote it to appeal to the general public as well, which he would like to see take a more critical view of media that he says foster a negative stereotype of African Americans.

Contemporary media, he says, particularly through extreme gangster rap music, reality crime shows and newscasts, have essentially defined crime and given it a black face, despite statistics that paint a different picture. For example, he cites statistics that point to higher cocaine use among whites than blacks, an impression one does not get while watching the evening news or the reality show COPS, he says.

Rome has been researching issues related to crime, media, race and ethnic relations for 15 years. What has evolved from his work is a schema, central to his book, that involves several steps:

The media report on crimes, showing images that viewers then associate with crime.

The media report on crimes without showing images. Viewers have in mind the images shown previously.
When viewers later think about crimes, they look for indications that support their conception of crime, which was formed by what they saw in the media reports.

"I want people to understand the conceptualization, the entrapment by the media, and not be too quickly convinced of what they see," Rome says. "If we understand how we conceptualize these media images, we can begin to change our behavior."

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news-archive/1580.html

The average person usually doesn't pick up on it, which is why you still have people (mainly Fox News fans) insisting that most crime in the U.S. is committed by black people (and increasingly, Latinos).

I seem to recall catching a whiff of that from UK members here as well ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:23 am

Why do people put silly photos of themselves on the internet anyway if they don't want to be misrepresented?

I see Trayvon Martin was mentioned again. The photo which was used of him showed him as younger than he actually was, and the photo of Zimmerman showed him as larger and more "mean" looking than he actually was at the time. That led to people saying that Trayvon couldn't possibly have overpowered Zimmerman.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:07 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Why do people put silly photos of themselves on the internet anyway if they don't want to be misrepresented?

I see Trayvon Martin was mentioned again. The photo which was used of him showed him as younger than he actually was, and the photo of Zimmerman showed him as larger and more "mean" looking than he actually was at the time. That led to people saying that Trayvon couldn't possibly have overpowered Zimmerman.

I'm thinking they don't generally expect to die and become a media sensation.

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Ts

Or that people would be so stupid as to make one image of them shorthand for their entire complicated existence?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Why do people put silly photos of themselves on the internet anyway if they don't want to be misrepresented?

Or that people would be so stupid as to make one image of them shorthand for their entire complicated existence?

So they don't mind being misrepresented whilst they're alive then?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

While they're alive, people have a lot more control over the stories told about their lives. Nobody expects to become a headline.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:16 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

While they're alive, people have a lot more control over the stories told about their lives. Nobody expects to become a headline.

If they posts a pic of themselves looking like a gangster or whatever, that's obviously how they want people to see them.

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:16 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If they posts a pic of themselves looking like a gangster or whatever, that's obviously how the want people to see them.

Really?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

If they posts a pic of themselves looking like a gangster or whatever, that's obviously how the want people to see them.

Really?

Why else would they post it?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Really?

To be silly?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

To be silly?

Well then anyone seeing that pic would realise that, and not take it too seriously.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

To be silly?

Well then anyone seeing that pic would realise that, and not take it too seriously.

Not if it was the only picture used, though -- right?

Why isn't this photo of the same person used at least as much?

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? But4-B8CQAAxz2n

Could it possibly be that someone doesn't want this young man seen as a U.S. soldier who reads stories to little kids, but instead as a gangster (who was thus, like T.M. with his supposed drug use) not that great a loss when he died?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Could it possibly be that someone doesn't want this young man seen as a U.S. soldier who reads stories to little kids, but instead as a gangster (who was thus, like T.M. with his supposed drug use) not that great a loss when he died?

I'm not sure that being seen as a US soldier would do him any favours.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:28 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That's deflection, Raggs. This man was unarmed, gunned down by a policeman who apparently shot him multiple times at point-blank range.

Here in the U.S., the soldier pic is going to be a lot more sympathetic to many viewers than the "gangster" pic.

So why are they only using the "gangster" one? Is there even any evidence this young man was ever in a gang? Or do we just assume that from one photo and his skin color, and decide he must have needed killing?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That's deflection, Raggs. This man was unarmed, gunned down by a policeman who apparently shot him multiple times at point-blank range.

Here in the U.S., the soldier pic is going to be a lot more sympathetic to many viewers than the "gangster" pic.

So why are they only using the "gangster" one? Is there even any evidence this young man was ever in a gang? Or do we just assume that from one photo and his skin color, and decide he must have needed killing?

It's not really a question of which gets more sympathy is it? The people investigating the shooting need to stick to the facts as far as they can. It's not clear what exactly happened yet. The press did use a graduation pic - that's what it says.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's not really a question of which gets more sympathy is it? The people investigating the shooting need to stick to the facts as far as they can. It's not clear what exactly happened yet. The press did use a graduation pic - that's what it says.

This is about media depictions, which always come into play in our justice system. Media outlets are telling a slanted story about him and that could affect whether his killer ever faces justice. And it also says that the graduation/soldier photos have fallen out of circulation in favor of the gangster photo.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 am

Let me ask you this, Raggs -- what's wrong with this photo of Sarah Palin?

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Sarah-palin-newsweek-cover1
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This is about media depictions, which always come into play in our justice system. Media outlets are telling a slanted story about him and that could affect whether his killer ever faces justice. And it also says that the graduation/soldier photos have fallen out of circulation in favor of the gangster photo.

It doesn't mention the soldier picture actually. That article is a bit confusing because it contains pics of different people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:46 am

Are the pictures on this thread actually of Michael Brown?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:51 am

I think this whole thread is misleading!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:52 am

You do realize the same man is in both of the photos in the OP?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:You do realize the same man is in both of the photos in the OP?

Yes, but it is Michael Brown?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 am

So the soldier pic is someone else. Why would the press use that one if it's not of Michael Brown? Why did you imply that it was Michael Brown?

And it also says that the graduation/soldier photos have fallen out of circulation in favor of the gangster photo.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 am

Are these photos the ones which are being talked about?

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? Ptplie1eaa3dgwho6tsa
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:37 pm

In America the police have guns.

They also face a high risk of being shot every day.

When an officer stops you etc, you do what he says.

You don't try to bundle him and then run off.

If you do this and are then shot at by the officer, who's fault is that???

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:44 pm

You really are having trouble reading today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:10 pm

No trouble reading.

have also read that the cop was bundled and then shot at fleeing suspects....
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Course you did Tommy.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes I bloody well did read that!!!

You should know by now that I don't lie Sassy.... unlike yourself....

"... St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said every casing found at the scene was from the officer's weapon -- but he said at a Sunday news conference that Brown was not an innocent victim.
"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," Belmar said, adding that Ferguson police asked his office to investigate the case.
Without revealing what led to the dispute, Belmar said the preliminary investigation showed that the Ferguson officer tried to exit his vehicle, but Brown pushed him back into the car," where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.
A shot was fired inside the police car, and Brown was eventually shot about 35 feet away from the vehicle, Belmar said...."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/us/missouri-ferguson-michael-brown-what-we-know/index.html

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Yes I bloody well did read that!!!

You should know by now that I don't lie Sassy.... unlike yourself....

"... St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said every casing found at the scene was from the officer's weapon -- but he said at a Sunday news conference that Brown was not an innocent victim.
"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," Belmar said, adding that Ferguson police asked his office to investigate the case.
Without revealing what led to the dispute, Belmar said the preliminary investigation showed that the Ferguson officer tried to exit his vehicle, but Brown pushed him back into the car," where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.
A shot was fired inside the police car, and Brown was eventually shot about 35 feet away from the vehicle, Belmar said...."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/us/missouri-ferguson-michael-brown-what-we-know/index.html

Well, they would say that wouldn't they after one of them had shot a man on the ground in the chest multiple time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah they would say that wouldn't they.....
Just like browns friend would say that they were just walking down the street doing nothing wrong at all and a police officer just came out of nowhere and started shooting at them......
Yeah ok.....
The prisons are full of "innocent" people aren't they...???
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm

lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Glad you find it so funny.....
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

That's a nice story, Raggs.  But the "facts" are generally made up in the most laughable circumstances.    If someone stumbles while getting up, he was 'resisting arrent.'  Or, if he couldn't find his identification, he was 'uncooperative.'  If he was a large, black male, he was beaten by nightsticks for being 'uncooperative' and for 'resisting arrest.'  Lord help anyone who has anything in their hand;

Wiki wrote:The Shooting of Amadou Diallo occurred on February 4, 1999, when Amadou Diallo, a 23-year-old immigrant from Guinea, was shot and killed by four New York City Police Department plain-clothed officers: Sean Carroll, Richard Murphy, Edward McMellon and Kenneth Boss, who fired a combined total of 41 shots, 19 of which struck Diallo, outside his apartment at 1157 Wheeler Avenue in the Soundview section of The Bronx. The four were part of the now-defunct Street Crimes Unit. All four officers were acquitted at trial in Albany, New York.[1]

Diallo was unarmed at the time of the shooting, and a firestorm of controversy erupted subsequent to the event as the circumstances of the shooting prompted outrage both within and outside New York City. Issues such as police brutality, racial profiling, and contagious shooting were central to the ensuing controversy.

In the early morning of February 4, 1999, Diallo was standing near his building after returning from a meal. At about 12:40 a.m., police officers Edward McMellon, Sean Carroll, Kenneth Boss and Richard Murphy, who were all in street clothes, passed by in a Ford Taurus. Observing that Diallo matched the description of a since-captured well-armed serial rapist involved in the rape or attempted rape of 51 victims, they approached him.[3][4][5]

The officers claimed they loudly identified themselves as NYPD officers and that Diallo ran up the outside steps toward his apartment house doorway at their approach, ignoring their orders to stop and "show his hands". The porch lightbulb was out and Diallo was backlit by the inside vestibule light, showing only a silhouette. Diallo then reached into his jacket and withdrew his wallet. Seeing the suspect holding a small square object, Carroll yelled "Gun!" to alert his colleagues. Mistakenly believing Diallo had aimed a gun at them at close range, the officers opened fire on Diallo. During the shooting, lead officer McMellon tripped backward off the front stairs, causing the other officers to believe he had been shot. The four officers fired 41 shots, more than half of which went astray as Diallo was hit 19 times.[1]

The post-shooting investigation found no weapons on Diallo's body; the item he had pulled out of his jacket was not a gun, but a rectangular black wallet. The internal NYPD investigation ruled the officers had acted within policy, based on what a reasonable police officer would have done in the same circumstances with the information they had.

I've highlighted the probable lies in this story.  Experience shows that the officers probably drove up, pulled guns, Diallo began to run (remember, the cops were not in uniform) and he was gunned down without a word being said.  Note the nice touch of the officer falling backwards, and that somehow becomes Diallo's fault.

This recent incident in Ferguson, Mo, where the community is over half-black, but the police are over 90% white, is apparently worse than the Diallo case.  It was a simple assassination, I read.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:20 am

I totally think it matters which picture of someone is used.
We are many different faces in our life, and it isn't fair to,use a one-off silly picture to claim that this person was anything like the picture.

My brother is dressed as pretend gangster Ali G in a picture on a website, if they used this would he be seen as a gangster?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Are the pictures on this thread actually of Michael Brown?

No Raggs

the Story is about a Twitter protest that has developed in Support of Michael brown to comment on the way the media, try and use the most stereotypical 'black' photo.

If you go the the Source their are dozens of pairs of photos.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am

Very interesting article about the situation in Ferguson and the reasons for the resentment:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/13/michael-brown-ferguson-murder-race-relations-white-police

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
It doesn't mention the soldier picture actually. That article is a bit confusing because it contains pics of different people.

cyclops 

YOU do realise that he would have been a Military (or maybe National Guard) cadet at such a young age (15, 16 or 17 - while still at school..), don't you Ragga' ?

OR are you really that ignorant about such matters..    :\\:[: 

Well it's not Michael Brown, is it? That's why nobody mentioned him being a soldier.

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:16 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Are the pictures on this thread actually of Michael Brown?

No Raggs

the Story is about a Twitter protest that has developed in Support of Michael brown to comment on the way the media, try and use the most stereotypical 'black' photo.

If you go the the Source their are dozens of pairs of photos.

Thank you. I found the pics of Michael Brown.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Mine

If they Gun me down... which picture will they use???? 9k=

In moderation of course Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down