NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water

5 posters

Go down

Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water Empty Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Scientists in Australia have produced a "tractor beam" in a water tank.

They can control the movement of a floating ping-pong ball just by making a specific pattern of waves.

By changing the pattern, they moved the ball around the tank in various ways, including pulling it closer like the famous beam from science fiction.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Physics, have the potential to help contain oil spills or control and retrieve other floating debris.

"No one could have guessed this result," said Dr Horst Punzmann, who led the project at the Australian National University in Canberra.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28739368

Back to top Go down

Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water Empty Re: Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Hmmm ... I wonder how big or energetic the wave-creators would have to be to tractor-beam a ship, or even floating debris? Still, quite interesting.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water Empty Re: Physicists make 'tractor beam' in water

Post by eddie Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm

I wish I understood even half of what you both just posted.  Neutral 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17 pm

I wonder if it would work in the sea though, it seems to only affect the surface of the water, what about taking into account undercurrents, tides etc. I'm really thinking in the case of an oil spill or similar.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm

eddie wrote:I wish I understood even half of what you both just posted.  Neutral 
You need to watch more sci fi edd`s  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:45 pm

harvesmom wrote:I wonder if it would work in the sea though, it seems to only affect the surface of the water, what about taking into account undercurrents, tides etc. I'm really thinking in the case of an oil spill or similar.

Oh shut up,harves you brainbox!  :asboredas: 

@KD, I do!! I watched all the Star Wars films when my son was young  Sleep 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:56 pm

eddie wrote:
harvesmom wrote:I wonder if it would work in the sea though, it seems to only affect the surface of the water, what about taking into account undercurrents, tides etc. I'm really thinking in the case of an oil spill or similar.

you would be better watching all star trek and Stargate they often explain things like time and space ,blackholes ,tractor beams

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:59 pm

eddie wrote:I wish I understood even half of what you both just posted.  Neutral 

Did you ever do that thing as a kid, where you're in the tub or pool and you wave your hands under the water and make your toys float to you? If not, go fill up the kiddie pool, get a rubber ducky and do it, it's so freakin' awesome!  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Did you ever do that thing as a kid, where you're in the tub or pool and you wave your hands under the water and make your toys float to you? If not, go fill up the kiddie pool, get a rubber ducky and do it, it's so freakin' awesome!  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 

What the hell has that got to do with tractor headlights Ben???  Evil or Very Mad 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 am

Korben_Dallas wrote:
eddie wrote:

you would be better watching all star trek and Stargate they often explain things like time and space ,blackholes ,tractor beams

Sleep Sleep Sleep 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing, until it dawned on me that they are using wave theory. Those are modifications, HM, that merely depend on advancements in the technology. Wave theory pretty much works in any medium, against any odd anomaly.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down