NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school?

+2
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
6 posters

Go down

Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Empty Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:56 pm

.....and what did you do? Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Questi12  OK, I'll go first.  Here's my list  ::cheerlead:: 

* picking French Beans on a farm in the summer holidays aged 11-15

* paper round aged 14-15

* served petrol/diesel and checked oil, water and tyre pressures on a Saturday and in the holidays aged 15-16 (you won't believe how many jokers would come in and ask me to check these just to see if I could! Men!!!  Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Naught20)

* small local shop on the till, deli and stocking shelves aged 16-17

* pub work, predominately cooking and some waiting tables 17-18

Since then I've been with the same employer, 25 years next year Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Faint_14

Where did that time go and can I get it back???! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Pretty14

Back to top Go down

Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Empty Re: Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school?

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Yes, bagging and carrying out groceries at a local Safeway.

Oh, and I also delivered prescriptions for the local pharmacy on my bike.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Empty Re: Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Ah, summer/part-time jobs. Let's see, I got my first part-time job about a month after I turned 16 and was legal for a "real" job, that was as a cashier at a grocery store where many of my friends also worked ... before then, I'd made some money here and then doing handyman stuff for neighbors, but never anything steady.

Next job was working at my university; they needed someone to enter courses from other schools into our computer and match them up with our equivalents. It was by far the most boring job I ever had ...

Then I worked retail at a video rental store, still in college. That was pretty fun but also kind of hard, more physical labor than you might expect (boxes loaded up with VHS cassettes are heavy!).

For a while in there somewhere I umpired youth baseball games, that was cool.

When I got out of college, I started my journalism work -- first as a business/environmental reporter, then as a TV reviewer and editor, then a general assignment freelancer and editor, then as a community newspaper editor, and now community sports editor at the same company. Just got word that my 10-year pin is waiting on my boss's desk for me whenever I can come by and pick it up -- after the first seven years of my career at four different companies, I never thought I'd be at the same place for a decade!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

It's kind of weird when you consider I voted for Obama and thus hate work and should really be on welfare  :askissas: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 pm

I had some great evening jobs while at university. I played guitar (and sometimes bass and 5-string banjo as back-up for other acts) at clubs down on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley: Blind Lemon Joe's, The Refractory, Her Nibs, The Pour House, Circe's Cup, and others.

Those were great jobs.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:Yes, bagging and carrying out groceries at a local Safeway.

Oh, and I also delivered prescriptions for the local pharmacy on my bike.

cheers Sounds like you provided a great service, you get to know people in those kinds of jobs. What I call the "real" world where you can make a difference Quill  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi, FTL. Yes, I didn't think it at the time, but most of those jobs were gotten for me by family connections--of which I was unaware.

For example, my father was a physician, and I got the pharmacy job?? Get real. I wasn't that fast on my bicycle. Lol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Ah, summer/part-time jobs. Let's see, I got my first part-time job about a month after I turned 16 and was legal for a "real" job, that was as a cashier at a grocery store where many of my friends also worked ... before then, I'd made some money here and then doing handyman stuff for neighbors, but never anything steady.

Next job was working at my university; they needed someone to enter courses from other schools into our computer and match them up with our equivalents. It was by far the most boring job I ever had ...

Then I worked retail at a video rental store, still in college. That was pretty fun but also kind of hard, more physical labor than you might expect (boxes loaded up with VHS cassettes are heavy!).

When I got out of college, I started my journalism work -- first as a business/environmental reporter, then as a TV reviewer and editor, then a general assignment freelancer and editor, then as a community newspaper editor, and now community sports editor at the same company. Just got word that my 10-year pin is waiting on my boss's desk for me whenever I can come by and pick it up -- after the first seven years of my career at four different companies, I never thought I'd be at the same place for a decade!

Can you imagine what teenagers would think of VHS cassettes now??!! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Giggle68

Ten years is an amazing achievement, there is no such thing as a job for life anymore.  Congratulations  cheers x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:Hi, FTL.  Yes, I didn't think it at the time, but most of those jobs were gotten for me by family connections--of which I was unaware.

For example, my father was a physician, and I got the pharmacy job??  Get real.  I wasn't that fast on my bicycle. Lol.

I don't believe you for a second! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Biker10  lol! x

Must have been very cool playing at clubs x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Ah, summer/part-time jobs. Let's see, I got my first part-time job about a month after I turned 16 and was legal for a "real" job, that was as a cashier at a grocery store where many of my friends also worked ... before then, I'd made some money here and then doing handyman stuff for neighbors, but never anything steady.

Can you imagine what teenagers would think of VHS cassettes now??!! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Giggle68

Ten years is an amazing achievement, there is no such thing as a job for life anymore.  Congratulations  cheers x

Yes, clunky old things they were, but it seems to me they hold up better, in some ways, than discs ...

Thanks! I finally learned the trick of collecting dirt on everyone who can fire me  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Just kidding. I only gather dirt on those I suspect of trying to get me fired Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 pm

worked Selling Ice Cream and cooking in Hot food vans at festivals/events/raceway when I was 14 (about 9 months before legally allowed  pirat )

then got a jobs in restaurants (Chilli's, the American chain was the main one) and had another one making Pallets while at Uni.

Now work in IT have been for about 9 years
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 am

real estate weekend girl
babysitting (and I still went in to have my own kids - go figure)
nursing homes
homes for the physically and mentally handicapped
stuffing envelopes and print runs for my stepfather's business (I got gazillions of papercuts)
as an adult
worked as receptionist
insurance office manager
library branch manager
court clerk
library tech/libraian
library branch manager

had to move around
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 am

stoopid kindle

meant to say had ti move around lots cause of Mr. C's job but the last four categories have been for the last 12 years albeit in different places.

I was born to be a kept woman but I married the wrong income bracket Cool
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 am

Hard is the fortune of all womankind,
They're always controlled, always confined,
Controlled by their parents until they are wives,
Then slaves to their husbands for the rest of their lives...
The Wagoner's Lad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am

We actually got 2 weeks off school to go to the 'tattie picking' where we got paid a couple of bob for a weeks work. I was quite tall and lucky in that I was assigned to emptying the baskets of potatoes into the cart as it went up and down the field. A highly prized position I might add that commanded respect from the other kids. lol. Nowadays it's called 'work experience' and true to form it served me well when I had to find proper employment when school finished (aye right).
Went to the 'weeding' in the summer evenings and weekends where we crawled along the rows of plants picking out the weeds. The fields were huge and the rows were about a quarter of a mile long. We were supervised by some Irish people who came over to work on the farms. They all stayed in a bothy.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Smile   Didn't get any paid casual jobs until I was at uni' (abattoirs, factory labourer during holidays..).

However, had unpaid "work experience" while still at school as:

Young outer-fringe-suburban terrorist;
Wildman around local bush and creeks;
Oh, and started my beekeeping "career" [snigger] midway through high school (maybe one day those bees will start 'keeping' me ?   tongue ).

Joined Army Reserve in 1980, for a few years paid p/t service..

::rambo::

Abattoirs??!!! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? No_fai25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:35 pm

I worked in a PICKLE factory......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:49 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:I worked in a PICKLE factory......

OMG you are EVIL, EVIL I tell you Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Rofl29

All i can say is I hope you washed your hands a million times before you packed my parcel! Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Sick13 Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Scared18 and to think Nems teased me about your beard Did you have a part-time/holiday job when you were at school? Embarr24 I sense a full shampoo and set will be necessary  ::D::  x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down