NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen

3 posters

Go down

Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen Empty Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen

Post by harvesmom Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:54 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715326/Britons-urged-turn-lights-First-World-War-centenary.html

Turn out your lights to remember the fallen: Britons urged to join some of the country's most famous buildings with candle-lit vigil for First World War centenary
Millions of homes and buildings expected to take part in the scheme at 10pm
Idea inspired by former foreign secretary Sir Edward Grey's famous words
House of the Parliament, Tower Bridge and St Paul's Cathedral taking part
David Cameron urges families to join in the 'gesture of remembrance'

By Richard Spillett

Published: 10:02, 4 August 2014  | Updated: 14:29, 4 August 2014  

Homes, businesses and public buildings across the UK are being asked to turn out their lights for an hour at 10pm tonight to remember those who died in the First World War.

Families are being asked to leave on a single light or candle to commemorate the moment then-Prime Minister Herbert Asquith declared Britain had entered the First World War at 11pm on August 4, 1914.

Buildings around the country, including Tower Bridge and 10 Downing Street, will be taking part in the 'hour of reflection' between 10pm and 11pm, leaving just a light illuminating a window.

Scroll down for video

Preparations at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in London's Westminster Abbey ahead of a ceremony tonight which will coincide with the Lights Out initiative around the UK, which will see millions of homes and buildings turn out all but one light in memory of those who died in the First World War

A vigil service will be held at the Abbey during which members of the congregation will extinguish candles until there is just one left alight on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which will be snuffed out by the Duchess of Cornwall at 11pm

The plan is inspired by the words of then-foreign secretary Sir Edward Grey, who said just before the announcement: 'The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.'

Other buildings taking part in an hour-long lights switch-off tonight will be the Houses of Parliament, Broadcasting House in London, the Eden Project in Cornwall, St Paul's and Durham cathedrals, and Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff.

Also expected to join in are office buildings including Barclays in Canary Wharf and Marks & Spencer.

Prime Minister David Cameron has backed the idea and is urging as many people as possible to take part.

He said: 'Lights Out is a way for everyone to mark the First World War centenary and I would encourage people to take part and turn off their lights tomorrow at 10pm for an hour, apart from a single light or candle.

'This will be a personal gesture in remembrance of all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for us 100 years ago. They must never be forgotten.'

The idea is being promoted by the Royal British Legion, who brought together celebrities including Jeremy Paxman, Twiggy, David Gandy and Louis Smith for a video to encourage people to take part.

The Houses of Parliament, pictured taking part in a similar scheme in 2007, will be switching their lights off at 10pm tonight as part of an initiative to commemorate Britain entering the First World War

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715326/Britons-urged-turn-lights-First-World-War-centenary.html#ixzz39Qk98Ys5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I shall be turning my lights out and lighting a candle tonight, its quite weird sitting here thinking of what my Great Grandparents were going through exactly 100 years ago today.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen Empty Re: Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen

Post by gerber Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Ditto and my grandparents as children.

We hope to be doing likewise.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen Empty Re: Lights out tonight to remember the Fallen

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

What a lovely idea. Thanks for letting us know HM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 pm

I did it here at UK time and will do it again tonight my time.

My great-grandfather was in the US Navy during WW1 and my great great uncle was killed at the Somme.

We Will Remember Them x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 am

Cass wrote:I did it here at UK time and will do it again tonight my time.

My great-grandfather was in the US Navy during WW1 and my great great uncle was killed at the Somme.

We Will Remember Them x

Good for you Cass. My mum, dad & one of my grandmas took part and it was really quite moving. We Will Remember Them Indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 am

lovedust wrote:
Cass wrote:I did it here at UK time and will do it again tonight my time.

We Will Remember Them x

Good for you Cass. My mum, dad & one of my grandmas took part and it was really quite moving. We Will Remember Them Indeed.

xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am

Turned lights and watched the service from Westmister Abbey.................

Heart tugging.

Very thought provoking. Kept trying to imagine how my grandparents felt 100 years ago today. They were all young teenagers .....................................

The readings were spinechilling.

What two generations went through their parents as well with such suffering and loss and the hours and hours spent in dangerous factories and mill shops if not on the front.

Brave brave people all of them. The majority suffering in silence if they returned. Wow.

Stop Gaza now !!!!!!
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down