NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle

4 posters

Go down

William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle Empty William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm

William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle
• Foreign secretary takes lesser role of Commons leader
• Damien Green, David Willetts and Dominic Grieve out
• Reshuffle expected to make way for promotion of women

William Hague is to stand down as foreign secretary with immediate effect and will take on the lesser role of leader of the House of Commons as he prepares to end his political career by retiring as an MP at the next election.

A new foreign secretary will be appointed by the prime minister when he completes his reshuffle on Tuesday. It is understood that it will not be George Osborne, who had been tipped to take the job after the election.

David Cameron praised the outgoing foreign secretary as "one of the leading lights of the Conservative party for a generation" as he announced the dramatic move in the most far-reaching reshuffle since he became prime minister.

Hague's move to become leader of the Commons has echoes of the path taken by Robin Cook after the 2001 election. But that was a clear demotion, unlike Hague who has decided to retire as an MP.

Government sources made clear he could have stayed as foreign secretary had he so wished.

The decision by Hague came shortly after Kenneth Clarke announced that he would be leaving the cabinet as the prime minister embarked on the final planned reshuffle before the general election.

A series of male ministers, including the policing minister Damian Green, the universities minister David Willetts, and the attorney general Dominic Grieve also left the government. Tory sources have made clear that Cameron wants the "old lags" to move on to make way for women and younger men who will be promoted on the second day of the reshuffle on Tuesday.

Esther McVey, the employment minister and former breakfast television presenter, Liz Truss, the childcare minister, Nicky Morgan, the women's minister, Amber Rudd, the whip, Anna Soubry, the defence minister, Priti Patel and Margot James, members of the No 10 policy board, are all expected to be promoted.

The departure of Hague stunned Westminster where it had been assumed that he would remain as foreign secretary until the election, although it had been widely thought he might stand down next year to return to writing history books. Hague had also previously led the Conservatives in opposition from 1997 until 2001, when he resigned after being heavily defeated by Tony Blair at the general election.

Paying a warm tribute to Hague, Cameron said: "William Hague has been one of the leading lights of the Conservative Party for a generation, leading the party and serving in two cabinets. Not only has he been a first class foreign secretary – he has also been a close confidante, a wise counsellor and a great friend. He will remain as first secretary of state and my de facto political deputy in the run up to the election – and it is great to know that he will be a core part of the team working to ensure an outright Conservative victory at the next election."

Hague, who will remain as a member of the national security council, said: "By the time of the general election next year, I will have served 26 years in the House of Commons and it will be 20 years since I first joined the cabinet. In government there is a balance to strike between experience on the one hand and the need for renewal on the other, and I informed the prime minister last summer that I would not be a candidate at the next general election.

"Accordingly I am stepping aside as foreign secretary, in order to focus all my efforts on supporting the government in parliament and gaining a Conservative victory in the general election – after four years in which we have transformed Britain's links with emerging economies, significantly expanded our diplomatic network and the promotion of British exports, restored the Foreign Office as a strong institution, and set a course to a reformed European Union and a referendum on our membership of it."

Hague's departure overshadowed the departure of Clarke, the former chancellor who has championed the European cause as a member of every Tory government since 1972. He resigned from the cabinet with a warning to David Cameron that he will remain in parliament to fight for Britain's membership of the EU.

In a sign that the veteran MP is prepared for a final great battle of his political career in the runup to the prime minister's planned EU referendum in 2017, Clarke said that the case for Britain's membership of the EU is stronger than ever.

Clarke, who secured his first job as a whip in 1972 in Edward Heath's government, was the most high-profile minister to leave office as the prime minister started his long-awaited cabinet reshuffle on Monday afternoon.

The former chancellor made a point of making a high-profile Downing Street visit to the prime minister, who is 26 years his junior, rather than seeing Cameron in the more discreet setting of his House of Commons office. But there were the first signs of a backlash as the scale of the cull of middle aged men became clear when the highly respected policing minister Damian Green was sacked. "It's the night of the long knives and that went really well last time," one Tory said, referring to Harold Macmillan's desperate attempt to shore up his government in 1962 when he sacked a third of his cabinet.

Another senior Tory warned of tokenism as the prime minister prepares to promote large numbers of women today. "This really is the worst form of tokenistic gesture politics," one senior figure said. "Merit is out of the window."David Jones, the Wales secretary, was also among those who left the cabinet , as was David "two brains" Willetts, who resigned as universities minister and is to stand down as an MP at the election next year.

Alan Duncan, the international development minister, also left the government at his own request as did Andrew Robathan, the Northern Ireland minister who was an early Cameron supporter in the 2005 Tory leadership contest.

Nick Hurd, son of the former foreign secretary Lord Hurd of Westwell, is standing down as minister for civil society. Hurd tweeted: "Am standing down having been given by DC the rare opportunity to do six years in a wonderful brief. Very proud of what we achieved."

Stephen Hammond, the transport minister, also resigned.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/14/cabinet-reshuffle-william-hague-tory-government

FGS! The only one who did a decent job!

Back to top Go down

William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle Empty Re: William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle

Post by Irn Bru Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 pm

That is a surprise but I suppose he can make a lot more money by not being an MP and he won't have to declare it all either.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle Empty Re: William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Now why didn't I think of that! Mind you, as Leader of the House, won't he still be an MP? He will have more time for directorships etc though lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Sassy wrote:Now why didn't I think of that!   Mind you, as Leader of the House, won't he still be an MP?   He will have more time for directorships etc though lol

Yes but not for much longer if he decides to retire as an MP at the next election.

6 pints a day Billy Fizz. Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Wonder how many Nigel Farage has lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Sassy wrote:Wonder how many Nigel Farage has lol

Not many in Edinburgh that's for sure. Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 pm

I wonder why Cameron is having a little shufty around his cabinet??

I reckon he doesn't fancy his chances next May!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 pm

eddie wrote:I wonder why Cameron is having a little shufty around his cabinet??

He's fed up with Labour telling him that there isn't enough women in his cabinet and he's doing something about it.

This is his final push to try and get back in again. I hope he fails.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Irn Bru wrote:

He's fed up with Labour telling him that there isn't enough women in his cabinet and he's doing something about it.

I don't like him much actually, but I was quite excited when Lib Dems got in with the Tory party as I thought that a big change would happen!!
I always liked Nick Clegg - I sure he'd be ok given a chance....
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 am

eddie wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

I don't like him much actually, but I was quite excited when Lib Dems got in with the Tory party as I thought that a big change would happen!!

I think he's toast for jumping into bed with the Tories in the way that he has and I hope he gets the boot at the election.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 am

Irn Bru wrote:
eddie wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

I think he's toast for jumping into bed with the Tories in the way that he has and I hope he gets the boot at the election.

Yes I know a lot of people think he sold out.
I sure he will be booted at the next GE and he knows it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Post removed due to spam

Admin team

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:32 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:William Hague to resign as foreign secretary in major cabinet reshuffle Mama_n10
Could someone reboot smelly he's malfunctioning,,,,,,again!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
eddie wrote:

+1

I wish Iain Duncan Smith had been given the boot also.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down