NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party

Go down

I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party Empty I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:45 pm

I exercise my freedoms as an American in my mosque and in conservative politics.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/7/4/1404474492727/661607d7-600d-4d38-9bb2-83ee764ed3d6-460x276.png
Saba Ahmed and Newt Gingrich Photograph: Saba Ahmed

Earlier this year, I attended an event with former House speaker Newt Gingrich, despite knowing of his stereotypical attitude towards Muslims. I realized then the power of one voice to change people's prejudices – and how rarely people like me use ours: I was the first Muslimah to whom he had ever spoken.

Yes, I am Muslim, and I am a Republican – and that's why I was at the Heritage Foundation panel on Benghazi last month, where I asked the now-infamous question about how conservatives deal with the vast majority of people of my faith who are peaceful. Americans don't expect minorities – especially Muslims – to be Republicans, and it happens often in conservative circles that I am the only Muslim woman in the audience.

I became Republican because I felt that my Islamic values – pro-life, pro-traditional family, pro-business, pro-trade – aligned best with the Republican party platform. I identified as a Democrat for several years when I was younger, but found it hard to defend liberal values as they were so often in conflict with my deeply-held beliefs.

Though I have been a Republican for a long time – and despite having had a tough time with my fellow Republicans in Oregon, where I lived until 2012 – I joined the Washington DC Republican Party earlier this year. They have all been kind and welcoming to me at their meetings, events and fundraisers, and I have made good friends in the GOP.

So the personal attacks by conservatives after my question at the Heritage event went viral came as somewhat of a surprise – though the support from the Republicans who reached out to me did not. As one of the few lobbyists among the 10,000 on Capitol Hill who is a practicing Muslim, I regularly attend congressional hearings bashing "Islamists", but I didn't expect to be called one of them.

But the fear, arrogance and ignorance displayed by people like Brigette Gabriel (whose angry response to my question at Heritage sparked the online backlash) are simply attitudes whose time is passing. Their tactics may have worked to play on the fears of Americans and spur further prejudice and divisiveness immediately after 9/11 in the US, but after 14 years of wars and 57,000+ American killed or wounded, the American public is ready for answers from peaceful Muslims and intelligent Christians alike.

I was born and raised as a Muslimah and, though I don't consider myself an Islamic scholar or expert by any means, I do know that my faith teaches peace, justice and humanity. It hurts me deeply when I see people misusing my religion – both against my fellow Americans, and against me personally.

Islam comes from the word salaam, which means peace, and my community can – and must – use the peaceful teachings of Islam to end radical terrorism. We are taught to deal kindly and justly with non-Muslims (60:Cool, that killing one innocent human being is like killing all of humanity (5:32), and that God can grant love and friendship between us and those who hold themselves out as our enemies (60:7) – teachings that are not so different from those learned by Christians.

Jesus, too, exhorted his followers to love their enemies – which sometimes seems to have been forgotten in conservative policy discussions, especially when it comes to people of my faith.

I exercise my rights and freedoms as an American in both my mosque and in Republican politics – and hope to have other conservative Muslims join me, and for our voices heard through civic engagement. We can provide a counter-narrative to both the conservatives who denigrate Muslims and those who wish to paint us at little more than victims – and, inshallah, help end terrorism.

For example, on Independence Day, you will find me both fasting for Ramadan and walking as part of the District of Columbia Republican Party at the Annual Independence Day Parade in Washington DC. It is one way to celebrate the peace for which my religion asks, and the love of country my patriotism demands.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/04/Muslim-republican-attacked-heritage

Back to top Go down

I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party Empty Re: I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:43 pm

FFS the elusive Moderate Muslim has been FOUND.

Back to top Go down

I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party Empty Re: I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Unfortunately, finding a decent Kakashit is something unobtainable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:49 pm

and you will note the slap in the face for the wet letteuce liberalists who promote these people.....

"aligned best with the Republican party platform. I identified as a Democrat for several years when I was younger, but found it hard to defend liberal values as they were so often in conflict with my deeply-held beliefs."

So no doubt NOT a "moderate" at all , but a slavering R/W er.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Sassy wrote:Unfortunately, finding a decent Kakashit is something unobtainable.

But Sassyshit will always be found in your adult diapers.

lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:04 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:and you will note the slap in the face for the wet letteuce liberalists who promote these people.....

"aligned best with the Republican party platform. I identified as a Democrat for several years when I was younger, but found it hard to defend liberal values as they were so often in conflict with my deeply-held beliefs."

I think the term moderate is wrong when defining anyone of a faith, you either have people who hold literal beliefs, and those who do not but are just believers. You can then break this down further in the literal belief, those who are liberal, conservative and extremist. Take for example America itself with Christians, we do not say moderate Christians, but they certainly have many conservative or Republican Christians with a literal belief to the more extreme with the Tea Party the fundamentalists like Army of God or Christian Identity, who follow Dominionism, where they want to have Biblical law. Lets face it the reality is those who hold a literal belief mainly tend to hold Conservative views

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Phillipa wrote:
Sassy wrote:Unfortunately, finding a decent Kakashit is something unobtainable.

But Sassyshit will always be found in your adult diapers.

lol! lol! lol! 

You never were very good at witty replies lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Seriously can people actually debate without constantly spoiling every single one of them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Didge wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:and you will note the slap in the face for the wet letteuce liberalists who promote these people.....

I think the term moderate is wrong when defining anyone of a faith, you either have people who hold literal beliefs, and those who do not but are just believers. You can then break this down further in the literal belief, those who are liberal, conservative and extremist. Take for example America itself with Christians, we do not say moderate Christians, but they certainly have many conservative or Republican Christians with a literal belief to the more extreme with the Tea Party the fundamentalists like Army of God or Christian Identity, who follow Dominionism, where they want to have Biblical law. Lets face it the reality is those who hold a literal belief mainly tend to hold Conservative views

Nail, head with that analysis Didge.
But doesnt the berk realise that THOSE LIBERAL VALUES are the reason she is where she is..she is denying the one force that allowed her to attain that position...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:24 am

I wish I could find this article I read back in 2002, I remember because it was during the early stages of the war in Afghanistan and the news was that a conservative Christian group from the U.S. met with a rather fundamentalist Muslim group from Afghanistan for a sort of "heal the divide" event.

The Americans in particular were very surprised at all they found they have in common. Nobody there liked abortion, gay rights, feminism, women in the workplace, etc. Both groups were unhappy because of their perception that people were turning their back on religion.

Yet we have churches that will happily marry gay people, and they have groups like RAWA, which has been fighting the often deadly fight for women's advancement for 37 years.

Amazing -- it does not appear to matter which sky daddy you worship, or whether you worship any of them, when it comes to your other opinions. I don't know, maybe that's just too complicated and we should just decide that all people from one group feel a certain way. Then we can go on asking a random black guy how the entire "community" of people with a similar color of skin as him feels about a certain issue, without having to feel like raging dickholes about it.  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down