NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member

+3
eddie
Cass
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member Empty I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Earlier this evening, in order to show that one member here was masquerading as someone else, I posted a screen capture of the evidence.

In a failure on my part to think it through with the care it deserved, I inadvertently displayed the IP address of this member for a span of no more than nine minutes before my mistake was brought to my attention and I corrected it.

I apologize for the error.

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member Empty Re: I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member

Post by Cass Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:49 pm

I forgive you

Move on people
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member Empty Re: I publicly apologize for mistakenly revealing the IP address of a member

Post by eddie Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 pm

No problem.
IP's mean nothing anyway!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Thirded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Earlier this evening, in order to show that one member here was masquerading as someone else, I posted a screen capture of the evidence.

In a failure on my part to think it through with the care it deserved, I inadvertently displayed the IP address of this member for a span of no more than nine minutes before my mistake was brought to my attention and I corrected it.

"Posts that include personal details about a particular member in abusive fashion are not allowed, and members who abusively post personal information about others may be subject to administrative action, including a permanent ban, at the administrators' discretion."

Does that mean you will ban yourself for breaking the "no personal info" clause or use your "discretion" and decide the rules don't apply this time??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Earlier this evening, in order to show that one member here was masquerading as someone else, I posted a screen capture of the evidence.

I forgive you on condition you do reverence before me and ply me with grapes

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:08 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:

"Posts that include personal details about a particular member in abusive fashion are not allowed, and members who abusively post personal information about others may be subject to administrative action, including a permanent ban, at the administrators' discretion."

Does that mean you will ban yourself for breaking the "no personal info" clause or use your "discretion" and decide the rules don't apply this time??

It just shows that mistakes can be made in the heat of the moment: BY ANYONE.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm

It wasn't personal info Smelly, your IP address is on the map and it's part of the Forumotion set up  ::D:: ::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 pm

lovedust wrote:

LOL, I apparently still have some grovelling to do ...

Speaking of the "heat of the moment," that edds mentioned, smelly -- if I could ban myself I would have been long gone from this site by now, asking someone to let me back on Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

Speaking of the "heat of the moment," that edds mentioned, smelly -- if I could ban myself I would have been long gone from this site by now, asking someone to let me back on Smile

Would you have called yourself "Glen_Really"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 pm

I think you will find that's the whole reason you have access to that information so that multiple ID`s can be discovered and exposed ,indeed as an administrator that is your job and not something to apologize for

i think the whole forum should thank you for bringing this despicable mascaraid to our attention with verifiable evidence in support

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 pm

lovedust wrote:

Do the grapes have to be peeled first?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:17 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

Nah, funny enough I don't actually care for my username, but I've been going by it so long that I don't feel like I should change it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:

I think you will find that's the whole reason you have access to that information so that multiple ID`s can be discovered and exposed ,indeed as an administrator that is your job and not something to apologize for

i think the whole forum should thank you for bringing this despicable mascaraid to our attention with verifiable evidence in support

Thanks, KD. I think we all know why HF would pretend to be a Muslim Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Korban_Dallas wrote:

I think you'll find his job is to provide a safe, friendly environment for people to discuss things.

Not seek revenge, vendetta's, exposing people and whatever else you can think up for people you or he doesn't get on with or had a spat with 5 years ago!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Nah, funny enough I don't actually care for my username, but I've been going by it so long that I don't feel like I should change it.

What about TexAss BadAss.  ::dedhrs::
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

I think you'll find his job is to provide a safe, friendly environment for people to discuss things.

Not seek revenge, vendetta's, exposing people and whatever else you can think up for people you or he doesn't get on with or had a spat with 5 years ago!

I think you'll find your little plan failed, so hard luck. Maybe you were the one who sent the pm's to try and make this site look unsafe. After the way you are going on, that's a thought. Already told you, look on the map, your IP is there, forumotionn sets it up that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:

really comedy gold
5 years dummy 5 months at best
exposing a multi id FFS do you hear your self

Talk about vendettas seem thats all you sonny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 pm

Also its not his job to provide squat its his "hobby" and he does it and rules it as he sees fit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

I think I should go with Delicate Little Flower  flower 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

I think I should go with Delicate Little Flower  flower 

Does 'Really Bendy' have a ring to it  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 am

Am I being particularly thick tonight? If I look at the map of who is online, firstly its obviously wrong anyway, and secondly I can't see any IP addresses on there?  scratch scratch 

Is it me???
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 am

harvesmom wrote:Am I being particularly thick tonight? If I look at the map of who is online, firstly its obviously wrong anyway, and secondly I can't see any IP addresses on there?  scratch scratch 

Is it me???

You can't see the ip address as a number, you can however zoom in and see exactly where it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 am

harvesmom wrote:Am I being particularly thick tonight? If I look at the map of who is online, firstly its obviously wrong anyway, and secondly I can't see any IP addresses on there?  scratch scratch 

Is it me???

No. You can't see IP addresses.
Who said you could?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 am

eddie wrote:

Is it me???

Who said you could?

As I said, you can't see it as a number, but you can zoom in and see exactly where it is.

In any case, your IP address can be coming from anywhere, it's you ISP that is important.

Last edited by Sassy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 am

Sassy wrote:

Is it me???

You can't see the ip address as a number, you can however zoom in and see exactly where it is.

lol

See that lol above - it isn't random.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 am

eddie wrote:

Is it me???

Who said you could?

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 am

But I don't live on the river Thames.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 am

Sassy wrote:It wasn't personal info Smelly, your IP address is on the map and it's part of the Forumotion set up  ::D:: ::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 am

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

I think you'll find your little plan failed, so hard luck.   Maybe you were the one who sent the pm's to try and make this site look unsafe.   After the way you are going on, that's a thought.   Already told you, look on the map, your IP is there, forumotionn sets it up that way.

Sassy said the IPs were on the map? I know mine is static and I was a bit worried so I went to look, but I can't see them. And I'm shown miles away from where I always show anyway  scratch 
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
eddie wrote:

Who said you could?

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Well you can't. Only admin and mods can see them.
I could see them on ADO as a mod.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
eddie wrote:

Who said you could?

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Yep, you can see the location of it, which again, can be anywhere, which is why it wasn't important that Ben did the ip address, it's your ISP that can trace you.

Think that's right isn't it KD?

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

eddie wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Yes I know I've been able to see other peoples in the past, but that was when I had moderator status of a forum. I didn't think everyone could see them
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

I think you'll find your little plan failed, so hard luck.   Maybe you were the one who sent the pm's to try and make this site look unsafe.   After the way you are going on, that's a thought.   Already told you, look on the map, your IP is there, forumotionn sets it up that way.

Last edited by BigAndy9 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

eddie wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Then you should remember that all the IP address does is gives you the location that is on the map.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:08 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Then you should remember that all the IP address does is gives you the location that is on the map.

lmao

Oh it gives more than that, old girl.

Now, Horlicks, bed!

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:09 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

No that's not true Sassy. If anyone has my IP address it drills right down to the street I live in, which is why I am so concerned you say its shown as standard on the map on here. checked and the map is wrong anyway. But I can't see an IP address like you can.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:09 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

Yes and you can look up info about an IP
But you did say the IP address was in the map, not a location is on the map.

Location and IP are two different things??
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:

lmao

Now, Horlicks, bed!

No it doesn't, I've been a mod too remember, that's exactly what it gives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 am

eddie wrote:
Sassy wrote:

The IP is the location of the signal.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 am

IP,address and a location on no map ie a city, are two different things.

Anyway I'm off too.
Night all x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 am

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

lmao

Now, Horlicks, bed!

No it doesn't, I've been a mod too remember, that's exactly what it gives.

Yes and you need to remember you are not a mod anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:

The IP is the location of the signal.

Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:14 am

Stumped again? When you look up an IP address, it directs you to a map, which gives you the same positioning as the map at the bottom does. Your plan failed Andy, be sure to let Gig know won't you.

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 am

The IP address is a unique reference back to your computer
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:19 am

harvesmom wrote:The IP address is a unique reference back to your computer

Correct harvesmum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:20 am

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Sassy did eddie.

Sassy.

Sassy.

Yep, you can see the location of it, which again, can be anywhere, which is why it wasn't important that Ben did the ip address, it's your ISP that can trace you.

Think that's right isn't it KD?
Ben and maybe the mods are the only ones with access to IP addresses on
The "who`s online" applet only shows a graphical estimate of the location  and it`s really not accurate and Ip addresses are only visible to admins or mods

Now, as you were a mod on a few occasions on another site, you would also have seen Them and thus expected them to be there for others
Hence, your comment regarding the applet which in reply "you" not "i" was based on the belief everybody could see them  
but as i explained that  depends who you are at the time

Last edited by Korban_Dallas on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 am

Not necessarily

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 am

Korban_Dallas wrote:
Not necessarily

It certainly is on mine. But then I don't use a proxy server or try to hide my IP. I have no need to I trust Ben and the Mods on here. I am concerned now however because Sassy can see the IP addresses apparently and if she can then others can too. Unless Sassy has Mod status of course.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 am

harvesmom wrote:
Korban_Dallas wrote:
Not necessarily

It certainly is on mine. But then I don't use a proxy server or try to hide my IP. I have no need to I trust Ben and the Mods on here. I am concerned now however because Sassy can see the IP addresses apparently and if she can then others can too. Unless Sassy has Mod status of course.

Bloody hell i hadn't thought of that harvesmum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next