NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I

2 posters

Go down

Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I Empty Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Nearly one in five Britons thinks the country became involved in the First World War to stop the rise of Nazi Germany, according to a survey.

Eighteen per cent of those polled mistakenly believed the UK entered into the conflict in 1914 to halt the group which was led by Adolf Hitler in the Second World War.

The research also found that 17% thought the dictator was the leader of Germany at the time of the First World War.

However, the survey of 2,493 adults commissioned by The Times WWI Centenary Facsimile also found a majority of those questioned were clued up on several key facts.

Nearly seven in ten people (69%) knew that Franz Ferdinand was the Archduke of Austria-Hungary. His assassination is widely seen as having set in motion the chain of events that led to the war.

More than half (57%) knew that Britain became involved in the First World War because of a treaty with Belgium to defend it in the event of an invasion.

Knowledge of the country's leadership was sketchy, with one in ten believing Winston Churchill was Prime Minister at the start of the conflict.

Only 36% correctly answered that the prime minister was Herbert Henry Asquith, while 34% guessed it was David Lloyd George, whose premiership started during the war.

Areas in which respondents were most knowledgeable were when the First World War took place (90%), what the term The Allies refers to (92%), and the fact that British and German soldiers once marked Christmas Day by playing a game of football (85%).

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/life/weird-life/18-think-1914-was-about-nazis-1.443518
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I Empty Re: Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I

Post by nicko Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:35 pm

know why that is ben? because the young left wing teachers we have now are not interested in teaching pupils what happened if it was over 30 years ago.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I Empty Re: Almost 20% of British Believe Britain Fought Nazis in World War I

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm

20 members of Newsfix believe they're fighting them right now:

Philagain
Sassy
Benji-boy
Quim
Didge
Lonely Wimp
Drug Division
TiTS
Mamby Pamby

to name but a few

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down