NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See

2 posters

Go down

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Empty Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See

Post by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 am

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Night-sky
For most people, the night sky has lost its luster, because the places we live tend to be seeped in light pollution. Only the brightest stars reveal themselves on clear nights in our urban enclaves, a tiny snippet of what’s really above us.
Fortunately, talented photographers around the globe are pointing their cameras skyward to reveal the splendor of darkness. The World at Night (TWAN) on Wednesday announced the winners of its annual International Earth and Sky Photo contest, which included entries from over 55 countries.
Night Sky Splendor
The contest is meant to draw our attention to the magnificence of the night sky, with the hope that people across the world will engage in efforts to control light pollution and preserve this natural wonder. Over 800 images were submitted.
Here’s a look at a few of the top photos:
The first prize in “Against the Lights” category, and overall contest winner, went to Giorgia Hofer of Italy for her photo “Light in the Sky” taken on New Year’s Day from Cibiana Pass in the Dolomites of northern Italy.
Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Lights1-803x1024
The first prize in the “Beauty of the Night Sky” category went to Luc Perrot from Réunion Island of France for his image “Over the Top,” in which a volcano on Reunion Island peeks out of a sea of clouds and rests under stars.
Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Sky-shot-1
The second-place winner in the “Beauty” category was Ben Coffman of Portland, Oregon who submitted “False Dusk and Falls at Oregon Coast,” taken in February from Hug Point along the Pacific coast in northern Oregon.
Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Lights-2
“Reflected Aurora” by Alex Conu of Romania is the second place winner in the “Lights” category. This shot was taken on March 15 from Lofoten Islands in northern Norway.
Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Norway--1024x557

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/06/20/night-sky-rarely-see/#.U7Ef3ZRdXfI

Back to top Go down

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Empty Re: Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See

Post by Cass Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 pm

these are truly amazing.

I'm lucky in that we have light ordinances and are considered a dark city for astronomy purposes....the mother has already been to an observatory and seen Saturn and its rings and the ISS clear as anything.

its lovely to go out for a night soak or swim and look at the stars.....have seen meteor showers. I don't know much beyond identifying Orion's belt so must get a book to know what I'm looking at.

cheers didge x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Empty Re: Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See

Post by stardesk Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Great pictures, aren't they. Going the opposite direction, here's one of a sunset I took afew days ago.

Stunning Photos of the Night Sky We Rarely See Dsc_0010
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

wow that beautiful stardesk.

I know you are into all this stuff.....any good basic beginners stargazing guides you would recommend please? thanks x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Cass. I can't help you very much. All I use, and have had for several years is a 'Popular Star Atlas.'
It has served me well, as it lists every known star and constellations etc, and various other objects in the night sky. It shows their positions throughtout the year, very useful.
All I can suggest is you go to a book shop and have a browse around and pick the one you think most useful and will help you.

I learned the positions and names of many stars and constellations when I was a lad. I used to wander round the fields till dusk, then lay on my back and gaze at heavens as they all began to appear and shine. It always fascinated me.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

stardesk wrote:Hi Cass. I can't help you very much. All I use, and have had for several years is a 'Popular Star Atlas.'
It has served me well, as it lists every known star and constellations etc, and various other objects in the night sky. It shows their positions throughtout the year, very useful.
All I can suggest is you go to a book shop and have a browse around and pick the one you think most useful and will help you.

I learned the positions and names of many stars and constellations when I was a lad. I used to wander round the fields till dusk, then lay on my back and gaze at heavens as they all began to appear and shine. It always fascinated me.

well that's a start at least with that title. you would think as a librarian I would know this but its just not been on my radar before - same with bird watching but now I live in a place that's perfect for both and I guess I'm looking always for something new.

what a lovely memory. thanks xxx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:39 pm

You're into birdwatching? Same here, I belong to the RSPB and Wetlands Wildlife Trust. Have loads of photos and wondered whether to start a topic with some of them.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Gosh,they are so spectacular they seem somewhat fake!..not that I'm saying they are of course!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 pm

stardesk wrote:You're into birdwatching? Same here, I belong to the RSPB and Wetlands Wildlife Trust. Have loads of photos and wondered whether to start a topic with some of them.

Just starting....we have humming birds here...I feel in love with them!

Go for it! X
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down