NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing The Wealth

4 posters

Go down

Sharing The Wealth Empty Sharing The Wealth

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

24th June 2014

Nobody wanted to answer my question about a limit on the English population (surprise!).

What about your money?

How much should you keep?

We all love sharing.

There are those worse off than you - do you want them to be equal, or almost equal?

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

Sharing The Wealth Empty Re: Sharing The Wealth

Post by gerber Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Irn has offered me his last Rolo.  Love him.  I would equally offer him my last Spangle

As for money, willing to share it with others who are equally as hard working, have the same expenses and the same lifestyle.

Why should we be devalued to equalise with those who cannot be feckin bothered to get out of bed, work and fail; to appreciate a rather good bottle of red  

Ooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssss  wait for the backlash

::cheerlead::
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:22 pm

I didn't comment on the population of the UK because I don't have an opinion. It seems like it could stand to grow from its current population, though; it's certainly not the most densely populated country, or even close.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to give an answer with more nuance than your question, but at least I can say what should be a basic guiding principle, and that is, "You should keep as much as is manageable." In other words, I'm not into taking people's money away from them.

As I've said before, I believe in a capitalist society with reasonable regulations on businesses aimed at protecting consumers and workers, and in a social safety net in which those who can't work or can't find work at the moment are afforded basic dignity.

The definition of basic dignity being up to debate, that's as much of an answer as I should give, because once you've defined it, then you have to figure out how much that costs, and of course that's going to change over time and depending on where you live.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm

By the way, I moved this thread because it is in no way "General News: United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland." It seems to fall much more logically under "Social Issues."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 pm

I would love all men to be equal but that's in a hip-happy world where frogs wear bow ties and and flowers are more delicious than chocolate.

So Andy, I can't be specific because I can't grasp the logistics of it to be honest.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 pm

gerber wrote:Irn has offered me his last Rolo.  Love him.  I would equally offer him my last Spangle

As for money, willing to share it with others who are equally as hard working, have the same expenses and the same lifestyle.

Why should we be devalued to equalise with those who cannot be feckin bothered to get out of bed, work and fail; to appreciate a rather good bottle of red  

Ooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssss  wait for the backlash

::cheerlead::

Wow, hark at Tory Girl  Basketball 

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:59 am

the concept is too small minded, Money is only part of it. it is the means of production and potential that matter more.

there a better ways to use charity money than just give it to the needy but just giving to them is often easier than implementing the social infrastructure to support and help them help themselves.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:09 am

veya_victaous wrote:the concept is too small minded, Money is only part of it. it is the means of production and potential that matter more.  

there a better ways to use charity money than just give it to the needy but just giving to them is often easier than implementing the social infrastructure to support and help them help themselves.

Do you think anybody has tried this yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:20 am

@andy
yes

Uk and Australia have some good examples in regards to education and opportunity for our own. And some Charities are better at implementing it overseas too

https://unwrapped.oxfam.org.au/gift/start-a-small-business

Getting a business up and running is hard when you’re living in poverty. In Sri Lanka, Oxfam Australia works with marginalised women and men, many of whom are rebuilding their lives after the tsunami and a 20-year civil war. With the help of a small loan, they are able to start businesses to help them get back on their feet — from farming, brick-making and tailoring, to spices, small shops and clay-pot production. For women, operating and increasing their income by running a small business is life-changing.

“The loan is important because now we are able to be independent and stand on our own two feet without depending on our husbands. Because we are doing this, we are able to attend to the needs of the children — buy them clothes and send them to tuition. I used to do some income generation activity before, but now it’s better and bigger.”

Rafia, Sri Lanka.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down