NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards

3 posters

Go down

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards Empty Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards

Post by Guest Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards
"Anyone would think I defeated Hitler on my own," says Bernard Jordan after being inundated with cards on his 90th birthday.

A war veteran who went to Normandy without telling his care home was "quite overwhelmed" after the postman delivered 2,500 cards on his 90th birthday.

Mr Jordan made headlines across the globe after disappearing from The Pines in East Sussex so he could attend the D-Day commemorations earlier this month.

He hid his war medals under a grey mac.

Today he enjoyed an understated celebration with his wife Irene and friends - though The Candy Girls he met on a boat to France treated him to a song.

Mr Jordan said: "I just can't believe it. It's quite overwhelming to be honest.

"I want to thank everyone who sent me a card or a gift. Sadly I can't thank everyone in person so I hope they get this message.

"I'm just one man and I'm nothing special. Anyone would think I'd defeated Hitler on my own.

"There were a lot of other people on the beaches of Normandy that day, this lovely attention is for them really, not me."

Mr Jordan also welcomed news that Chancellor George Osborne would be setting aside money allowing D-Day veterans to continue making their annual pilgrimage to Normandy.

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards Vet-with-girls-1-522x293

http://news.sky.com/story/1283648/runaway-d-day-hero-gets-2500-b-day-cards

Absolutely brilliant!

Back to top Go down

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards Empty Re: Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards

Post by Cass Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 am

I saw this. Bless his heart. Brought tears to my eyes.

Happy happy birthday Bernard!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards Empty Re: Runaway D-Day Hero Gets 2,500 B-Day Cards

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:40 am

Fantastic.  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Fantastic.  ::D:: 

isn't it just! when there is so much ugliness going on in the world, stuff like this makes your heart soar.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 am

Cass wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Fantastic.  ::D:: 

isn't it just! when there is so much ugliness going on in the world, stuff like this makes your heart soar.

Hear hear.

Thank you Bernard and all your commrades.

Enjoy your birthday.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down