NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months

5 posters

Go down

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months Empty Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months Screen_Shot_2014-06-10_at_1.48.46_PM

A teacher suffered non-life-threatening injuries in this morning's shooting at Oregon's Reynolds High School, Troutdale Police Chief Scott Anderson said. The injured teacher is in addition to a slain student and the dead gunman. Authorities believe they know who the dead gunman was, but they are "not confident enough" to reveal details yet, Anderson said. Authorities still are trying to notify the relatives of both the shooter and the slain student.

[Original story published at 2:59 p.m. ET]

A lone gunman opened fire at a high school near Portland, Oregon, early Tuesday, killing one student and forcing others to flee.

The suspected shooter is also dead, the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said. It was not immediately clear how the gunman, who has not been identified, died.

About an hour after the shooting, Oregon State Police said the area was secure and the situation was contained.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/justice/oregon-high-school-shooting/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months Empty Re: Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 pm

They are all just SCHOOL shootings? Christ on a bike and still nothing is done!

Back to top Go down

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months Empty Re: Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months

Post by groomsy Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 pm

will gun nuts claim this is a hoax too?
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes, these are just shootings at schools, it doesn't count stuff like the white supremacist shooting yesterday, etc.

Groomsy, I think there's nothing they won't claim is a hoax if they don't like it ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

By the way, that's 74 school shootings in about 180 days. That's a very bad average.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:By the way, that's 74 school shootings in about 180 days. That's a very bad average.

understatement of the century  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

only what a 20% increase any you have one every second day... and isn't school only 5 out of 7 days meaning that is only about 130 day of class so more than 1 every second school day already  Shocked Shocked Shocked 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:14 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:By the way, that's 74 school shootings in about 180 days. That's a very bad average.

understatement  of the century  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

only what a 20% increase any you have one every second day... and isn't school only 5 out of 7 days  meaning that is only about 130 day of class so more than 1 every second school day already  Shocked Shocked Shocked 

And we're like lobsters in boiling water, hardly anybody even seems to be noticing this or talking about it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:43 am

sick......disgusting.....words fail me
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 am

Notice how they all (a lot, that is) cluster in the southeast. Florida especially.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:31 am

Original Quill wrote:Notice how they all (a lot, that is) cluster in the southeast.  Florida especially.

not really  Suspect 

seems mainly in the east but it also seems all the way from Florida to Chicago,

Actually I'd say there is no particular pattern to the location of the shootings
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:44 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Notice how they all (a lot, that is) cluster in the southeast.  Florida especially.

not really  Suspect 

seems mainly in the east but it also  seems all the way from Florida to Chicago,

Actually I'd say there is no particular pattern to the location of the shootings

Oh, I see a clear pattern. If you go down the Ohio R. to the Mississippi, and thence south to the Gulf, and include all the southeastern territory (otherwise known as the "Old South") you've got a definite plethora of killings. These are the gun people, after all.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:51 am

there is more in the 'old south' but not enough to really prove anything, there is still quite a few around the great lakes too
and I think that is 4 in California?

Since the Australian Map would have no markers on it, even that amount I find pretty fucked up. but I really dont understand the gun culture in the USA
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:there is more in the 'old south' but not enough to really prove anything, there is still quite a few around the great lakes too

Since the Australian Map would have no markers on it, even that amount I find pretty fucked up. but I really dont understand the gun culture in the USA

You can't unless you're part of it, and if you're part of it, you're crazy, so ...

Remember -- richest third-world country.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 am

I find it quite horrifying Ben and as you say, nobody is lifting a finger to stop it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:there is more in the 'old south' but not enough to really prove anything, there is still quite a few around the great lakes too

You can't unless you're part of it, and if you're part of it, you're crazy, so ...

Remember -- richest third-world country.

I know, right? Unless you were raised in the US, you don't understand guns. It's an ideology...a psychology.

There is a parallel in automobiles. Once, every man had to have a horse. It was a sign of masculine virility. It was his legs...his athletic prowess. It reflected not only his dominance over a physical challenge, but over the noble savage (beast) that provided the victory (one can see the attraction to slavery in this). Eventually, the horse became a car, but the same ethos prevailed. Everything the horse once served as, a car now provides.

While the horse/car stands in as the legs of a virile young man, the gun stands in for his manhood (cock, for those who need an explanation). You point it toward the target, you threaten or at least brag with it, and you shoot it off and obliterate with it. Not really...the gun is actually aimed at competition, whereas the penis is aimed at procreation. But, shooting it off is nonetheless a victory of sorts. It means you won. You got the prize. The gun is associated with manhood of a sexual nature, just as the horse/car is associated with manhood of an athletic nature.

All of this goes back to frontier days, where such powers were about life and death. (Stealing a horse was a hanging offense, because to leave a man without his transportation in the frontier meant death more likely than not.) Those people just came into these notions--didn't invent it--as a result of need. But just as your horse is transportation, your manhood is your defense. Hence guns and automobiles.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Of course Veya, there never was a 'frontier spirit' in Australia was there?  Rolling Eyes 

Now, to get back to the point rather than that load of old waffle about cocks, I posted a thread about Obama's reaction:

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t5204-obama-slams-congress-over-gun-law-failure-after-latest-school-shooting#111707

I think it's about time Americans stood up to be counted and really raised cain about gun control. Having a few school shootings is awful, allowing it to get to 74 while sitting back going tut tut smacks of apathy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Yet we are not talking about Australia, are we? There was no Revolution in Australia. There was no Civil War in Australia. Australia had no frontier...it has an outback, but it is all settled by Range Rovers. Australia is primarily coastal settlements...no Kansas City, no Denver, no Tombstone, not even a significant interior river on which a frontier could have developed. In fact, the whole history of Australia is different from the US. Always remember when discussing empirical questions, what is your empirical referent?! It is precisely because Australia doesn't have any pins on the map that Australia is irrelevant to this discussion.

Few people really care enough about guns and America to really study the question. Everyone is content to say, aren't we wonderful...we don't have that problem. As long as you keep taking that view, Veya, you are not going to change things a bit...and its kind of a disingenuous exercise.

That's why I think Ben's approach--brief as his comments are--is far more productive. Focus on the problem before you start discussing answers. In order to do that, you have to get inside the problem.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Yet we are not talking about Australia, are we?  There was no Revolution in Australia.  There was no Civil War in Australia.  Australia had no frontier...it has an outback, but it is all settled by Range Rovers.  Australia is primarily coastal settlements...no Kansas City, no Denver, no Tombstone, not even a significant interior river on which a frontier could have developed.  In fact, the whole history of Australia is different from the US.  Always remember when discussing empirical questions, what is your empirical referent?!  It is precisely because Australia doesn't have any pins on the map that Australia is irrelevant to this discussion.

Few people really care enough about guns and America to really study the question.  Everyone is content to say, aren't we wonderful...we don't have that problem.  As long as you keep taking that view, Veya, you are not going to change things a bit...and its kind of a disingenuous exercise.

That's why I think Ben's approach--brief as his comments are--is far more productive.  Focus on the problem before you start discussing answers.  In order to do that, you have to get inside the problem.

Now that's what I call bloody ignorance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Yipper dog...boot...but don't kick.  Rolling Eyes 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 pm

You obviously don't have the first idea of what went on in Australia when it was first colonised.  

Here's a website to give you some of the basics:

http://www.nla.gov.au/australiana/australian-history-selected-websites

Range Rovers?   Are you nuts?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 am

Original Quill wrote:

Yet we are not talking about Australia, are we?  There was no Revolution in Australia.  There was no Civil War in Australia.  Australia had no frontier...it has an outback, but it is all settled by Range Rovers.  Australia is primarily coastal settlements...no Kansas City, no Denver, no Tombstone, not even a significant interior river on which a frontier could have developed.  In fact, the whole history of Australia is different from the US.  Always remember when discussing empirical questions, what is your empirical referent?!  It is precisely because Australia doesn't have any pins on the map that Australia is irrelevant to this discussion.

Few people really care enough about guns and America to really study the question.  Everyone is content to say, aren't we wonderful...we don't have that problem.  As long as you keep taking that view, Veya, you are not going to change things a bit...and its kind of a disingenuous exercise.

That's why I think Ben's approach--brief as his comments are--is far more productive.  Focus on the problem before you start discussing answers.  In order to do that, you have to get inside the problem.

Safer for the rest of the world just to Embargo you until you fix it  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 
at least raise travel warnings and do extra background checks on American citizens since statically they are a danger (indeed higher than many other people we do those things to  Wink  )
 ::troll:: 
This is the strategy the USA takes to modify foreign nation behaviour in a 'peaceful' way so one might assume it would be effective way to get the USA to correct its behaviours to something more acceptable to the international community.

P.S there was a revolution but we lost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion
the Brits were much harder and faster at suppressing us due to previous experience in the USA  pale 

and the desert was crossed by Camels, up until ww2 cars were pretty rare here and horse were still a major means of transport. it is true about no frontier once you get past the great dividing range, everything just steadily 'evaporates' as you go inland to the red deserts.

At least you understand the No river No water No way to setup a settlement (short of the Los Vegas style investment)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:44 am

My strategy for reducing U.S. gun violence:

1) Spreading the news about the ridiculous gun violence, thus

2) Scaring away tourists; thus

3) Hitting big businesses in their pocketbooks, thus

4) Prompting market research about why tourists are avoiding the U.S., thus

5) Showing big businesses that our ridiculous gun violence is scaring away tourist money, thus

6) Getting big businesses to support better gun laws  cheers king 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 am

Well, it's a start. You're a journalist, can't you get your paper to start a campaign?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:07 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Safer for the rest of the world just to Embargo you until you fix it  ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: ::D:: 
at least raise travel warnings and do extra background checks on American citizens since statically they are  a danger (indeed higher than many other people we do those things to   Wink  )
 ::troll:: 
This is the strategy the USA takes to modify foreign nation behaviour in a 'peaceful' way so one might assume it would be effective way to get the USA to correct its behaviours to something more acceptable to the international community.

Lol.  Yes, I know.  But it doesn't work if you are the country that is in fact running the world.  I have to laugh every time the World Court convicts a Robert Mugabe, or other so-called henchman in an African nation.  Does anyone notice, in all that self-righteous fervor,  that this alleged justice was imposed on a weak, inconsequential African nation, over an inconsequential passing leader?

Flip the pancake...this kind of thing never happens if you are somebody.  Could you imagine former President GWB, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld or former VP Richard Cheney being put on trial for war crimes?  Yet they did every bit as much as Mugabe.

No, your not going to change America's gun fantasy by trying to spank the tiger.  Think of something that works.

veya_victaous wrote:P.S there was a revolution but we lost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion
the Brits were much harder and faster at suppressing us due to previous experience in the USA  pale 

and the desert was crossed by Camels, up until ww2 cars were pretty rare here and horse were still a major means of transport. it is true about no frontier once you get past the great dividing range, everything just steadily 'evaporates' as you go inland to the red deserts.

At least you understand the No river No water No way to setup a settlement (short of the Los Vegas style investment)

Las Vegas exists because of the mighty Colorado River...and the Hoover Dam, which generates all that electricity for the glitz.  The Colorado is the largest river on the western slope of the Continental Divide.

Camels aside, my point about the frontier territories of the US is that in them there was the right mix of anger and lawlessness, that permitted the gun culture to take hold.  Now it has been elevated to the status of a right!

Interesting about your revolution.  I'll have to study up on it.  It is true that we won because the French stepped in and rattled their chains...scaring the piss outta the Brits.  Some say the real war of independence for America ws the second war with the Brits: the War of 1812.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Got a link to the map Benji?

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:22 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Got a link to the map Benji?

Cheers.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5797306/map-school-shooting-sandy-hook
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Map plotting every U.S. school shooting in the past 18 months Screen_Shot_2014-06-10_at_1.48.46_PM

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Sassy wrote:Well, it's a start.   You're a journalist, can't you get your paper to start a campaign?

Sadly, there are probably some gun nuts who work for my paper that would try to get me fired if I did ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks Benji.

I was wondering if it was one of those maps where you can filter attacks by weapon - gun, knife etc.

Unfortunately you can't.

I'm sure if none of those people had access to guns they'd have used something else, but then again we don't have access to guns here in England, but criminals still manage to get hold of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:Well, it's a start.   You're a journalist, can't you get your paper to start a campaign?

Sadly, there are probably some gun nuts who work for my paper that would try to get me fired if I did ...

Your paper?

The scummy left wing Daily Mail by any chance?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:29 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks Benji.

I was wondering if it was one of those maps where you can filter attacks by weapon - gun, knife etc.

Unfortunately you can't.

I'm sure if none of those people had access to guns they'd have used something else, but then again we don't have access to guns here in England, but criminals still manage to get hold of them.

It's a lot harder to kill a bunch of people in seconds with a knife than it is a gun. We don't have many cases of people going berserk with a knife and murdering a bunch of schoolkids.

It's not about eliminating all gun murders, which you can never do. It's about reducing them.

American gun deaths per 100,000 residents: 10.3

UK gun deaths per 100,000 residents: 0.25
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down