NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim

3 posters

Go down

Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim Empty Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 am

People unwittingly become more racially aware and less generous towards those of a different skin tone when they feel financially squeezed, according to a study showing how racism thrives in an economic recession.

A series of psychological tests has revealed the deep-seated prejudices of white people towards black faces when they experience financial pressures resulting from an economic downturn similar to the global crash of 2008.
When times are hard, people are more likely to judge mixed-race individuals as “black”. Previous research in the US has shown that the more prototypically black a person is judged to be, the more likely they are to be socially excluded, shot when unarmed in police training tests, or sentenced to death after a guilty verdict
The latest findings indicate that racial stereotyping and discrimination in a recession is not just to do with institutional racism but a psychological frame of mind, the researchers have suggested.
“When the economy declines, racial minorities are hit the hardest. Although existing explanations for this effect focus on institutional causes, recent psychological findings suggest that scarcity may also alter perceptions of race in ways that exacerbate discrimination,” according to Amy Krosch and David Amodio of New York University.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/financial-hardship-can-make-people-more-racist-scientists-claim-9516092.html

Back to top Go down

Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim Empty Re: Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 am

That makes sense.

I would say financial inequality though.

When a group sees another get preferential treatment.

Back to top Go down

Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim Empty Re: Financial hardship can make people more racist, scientists claim

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:37 am

BigAndy9 wrote:That makes sense.

As I keep saying this is why you see a rise in support for parties that are far right or UKIP, people are more susceptible to fear arguments during times of hardship after recessions. History shows this all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 am

Didge wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:That makes sense.

As I keep saying this is why you see a rise in support for parties that are far right or UKIP, people are more susceptible to fear arguments during times of hardship after recessions. History shows this all the time.

Well i disagree about the fear part Didge.

If people see and believe there is preferential treatment for other groups, they will dislike those groups.

If people believe other groups are bringing/causing problems, they will dislike those groups.

I'll give you a clue - other groups are getting preferential treatment and they are bringing/causing problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:44 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Didge wrote:

Well i disagree about the fear part Didge.

If people see and believe there is preferential treatment for other groups, they will dislike those groups.

If people believe other groups are bringing/causing problems, they will dislike those groups.

I'll give you a clue - other groups are getting preferential treatment and they are bringing/causing problems.

Really?

Lets take a look at the evidence from UKIP

A fear promoted about immigration, a fear of taking jobs for example, a fear we are going to be inundated with Romanians and Bulgarians and fear that you would not want to live next door to a Romanian etc .

A fear promoted about the EU.

These and many others play upon fears people have, in fact they manipulate them to garner maximum affect from people susceptible to fear, who thus then look to blame others, where we see many immigrants blamed when most come here work hard, pay taxes and have come for a new life, yet are blamed with fear promoted and this is played upon countless times as seen. 

Thus people are susceptible to poor fear arguments an in times of hardship as seen by this report and history, people look not to their own problems to resolve but look to blame others.

Last edited by Didge on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 am

Do you agree with the above Didge?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 am

BigAndy9 wrote:If people see and believe there is preferential treatment for other groups, they will dislike those groups.

Which proves my point you are so easily susceptible to fear arguments, that is obvious daily from what you post. The fact is many people come here and do not commit crimes, the vast majority work, pay taxes, but because some people come to this country and do commit crimes or do not integrate, people like you manipulate this to then make a poor fear argument to castigate them, you think it is acceptable, as seen it is not and also poor and playing upon poor prejudice.
Thus it is people like you making problems worse by promoting poor fear arguments, playing up to an already susceptible group of people who are seeking to look to blame others for their own problems in many cases. 

You see you are even trying to offer a fear argument to me above highlighted.

I rest my case

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 am

BigAndy9 wrote:If people see and believe there is preferential treatment for other groups, they will dislike those groups.

Who apart from the wealthy, who gets preferential treatment Andy?

You are rather angry often with the countless threads targetti Muslims and coloured folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:09 am

Joy Division wrote:

You are rather angry often with the countless threads targetti Muslims and coloured folk.

Housing JD?

Are the wealthy waiting for social housing?

Schools JD - who is at the top of the list for schools?

Who gets crisis loans JD - the wealthy? Our pensioners?

Who gets more than our pensioners JD? Foreigners do JD.

The wealthy are only affected in a good way by foreigners JD - hence why your masters keep on bringing them in - to keep fools like you in your place!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Housing JD?

Who gets crisis loans JD - the wealthy?  Our pensioners?

Who gets more than our pensioners JD?  Foreigners do JD.

The wealthy are only affected in a good way by foreigners JD - hence why your masters keep on bringing them in - to keep fools like you in your place!

Misleading and also very false, showing and proving again Andy is led by poor misleading fear arguments.

Yes some foreigners do get benefits, many work and why many come here because they can get work, the actual amount on benefit tourism is small to say the least and actually there are now measures to stop any of the small amount there was.

So again you prove how easily you are led by fear and also do not even look at the facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Housing JD?

Who gets crisis loans JD - the wealthy?  Our pensioners?

Who gets more than our pensioners JD?  Foreigners do JD.

Look Andy ..how many times?....Thatcher began selling off council housing stock (around two million houses)

Are the wealthy in need of council housing Andy?-No.

You begrudge people in need of a crisis loan money?-sad..yes some abuse it, but you tar everybody like that.

Who is at the top of the list for schools Andy?-the wealthy can afford to privately educate their kids, or they can send them to state schools,..they have a choice.

Pensioners...it's a pretty crap state pension really.

And my place does me just fine Andy, you know...I've workerd some of the crappiest jobs to help pay for what I have now, and I'm chuffed,

Your problem is Andy...lies, fear and hate...you see the worst in everyone unemployed, disabled, coloured , or immigrants.

And it creates a hideous picture of your personality and outlook on many things.

The only master I have is my wife btw  Laughing

Last edited by Joy Division on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Firstly...Its an AMERICAN study...and they are all nuts over there

secondly

when an inconvenient social truth bites...invent a psychobabble "explanation " for it and make the ones feeling it the "problem", in other words, contrary to JD's idiotic signature the reverse is true...its the LEFT that blame victims...

more lefty "propaganda"

oh and on the subject of balming victims...it IS most deffo the left that blames victims....(unless its an industrial accident) get robbed...its your fault we aint gonna lock the b'stards up...YOU should be insured
got beaten up?...its YOUR fault for going out...

got a burglar...dont you DARE touch him......

all "lefty" policies...It took a tory govt to remove the burglars impunity
and give us back the RIGHT od self defense...and even they havnt gone far enough.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Well if true, all those foreigners who make up the majority of The so called poor and deprived areas in this country must be really racist!!!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Well if true, all those foreigners who make up the majority of The so called poor and deprived areas in this country must be really racist!!!

lol!

Excellent point Tommy.

I do believe didge is always preaching that da blacks and foreigners are deprived (and they're always telling us that fact very loudly), hard done by, destitute.

Maybe that explains why they hate us and want to kill us all eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah all The highly skilled, hard working and well needed immigrants all seem to be poor and disadvantaged.....

Funny that!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:28 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:Firstly...Its an AMERICAN study...and they are all nuts over there

secondly

when an inconvenient social truth bites...invent a psychobabble "explanation " for it and make the ones feeling it the "problem", in other words, contrary to JD's idiotic signature the reverse is true...its the LEFT that blame victims...

more lefty "propaganda"

oh and on the subject of balming victims...it IS most deffo the left that blames victims....(unless its an industrial accident)  get robbed...its your fault we aint gonna lock the b'stards up...YOU should be insured
got beaten up?...its YOUR fault for going out...

got a burglar...dont you DARE touch him......

all "lefty" policies...It took a tory govt to remove the burglars impunity
and give us back the RIGHT od self defense...and even they havnt gone far enough.....

So history is now lefty propaganda, then why does it always increase after recessions?

Saying something is lefty propaganda, is not a a valid answer either, as you well know.

Going on about the left blaming is a different argument and a deflection to the points at hand, as people from the left can be some of these people also.

So all you gave was a poor opinion of your view on this without refuting anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Well if true, all those foreigners who make up the majority of The so called poor and deprived areas in this country must be really racist!!!

lol!

Do they make up the majority of the poor and deprived or are you again just making things up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Yeah all The highly skilled, hard working and well needed immigrants all seem to be poor and disadvantaged.....

Funny that!!!

So for example is over one hundred thousand doctors, one third of all doctors now not skilled?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Again all I am seeing is more proof to fear arguments,.which proves the study further as right, so keep them coming

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Well have a look at London for example, all The areas with most so called poor and deprived are full of foreigners.

Most free school meals, again foreigners.

So if your op is true, all these poor and deprived foreigners must be really racist eh dodge????

lol!

Twat!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Well have a look at London for example, all The areas with most so called poor and deprived are full of foreigners.

Most free school meals, again foreigners.

So if your op is true, all these poor and deprived foreigners must be really racist eh dodge????

lol!

Twat!

So you prove my point again now expecting people to go off your opinion which has been debunked so many times it has now become an established fact you are the forum village idiot.

Evidence not hearsay which backs again fear bullshit arguments, as I stated

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Just saying debunked means nothing dodge.

You are the idiot if you really believe half the shit you post.

And seen by all.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Just saying debunked means nothing dodge.

You are the idiot if you really believe half the shit you post.

And seen by all.

So no evidence, oh dear

Matti the Village idiot strikes again

://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Fact remains a steady trickle of immigration is good for Britain, good for many counties in fact...

At least immigrants in general work hard and pay their taxes, not diddle their tax returns year after year , or hide away their inheritance and not declare , with their stash hidden under their bed...

I'm sorry but too many on the right are dishonest, dishonourable , sleakit and not to be trusted....not all though...

And these legal loopholes the rich use to stash money in offshore accounts is just so wrong,,,chase the cheating bastards for it!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Many immigrants fiddle their tax returns, hide money in family accounts, rent houses off each other paid by benefits etc.

You are ignorant of THe facts.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Many immigrants fiddle their tax returns, hide money in family accounts, rent houses off each other paid by benefits etc.

You are ignorant of THe facts.

Evidence?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Yes there is.

Seek and you will find.....
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:24 pm

So no evidence then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Have you had a look.....

Obviously not.

Or you would have found some.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:41 pm

So no evidence then just lost of more bullshit claimed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:08 am

No such thing as a racist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 am

It's the same thing Obama said in 2008:

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:24 am

@op
it is probably true, but It is probably more 'fearful' rather than racist. Economic pressures are real and likely to have an effect.

@ the idea that immigrants might be more racist in the UK... possible but the is a few factors like are they doing better than in their original country, because ones perception is relative over time they will adjust to UK standards but at first everything seem pretty good I'm sure. the fact that there is a lot of negativity around Immigrants in the UK probably doesn't help and probably increases racist feelings in the immigrants as well. although it may unite them again the Anglo? hard to say and I think they will be more affected by their interaction with people, assuming they do meet some nice British people they will understand that most British aren't that bad despite how some of them portray themselves online and in the media.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:02 pm

That's the problem, they might be doing better, and I'm sure they are.

But many others already here are doing worse because of their arrival.

They have driven wages down, and cost of living has gone up.

We have schools where over 75% are foreign and half don't speak English.

This is madness.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 pm

That's the problem, they might be doing better, and I'm sure they are.
This is madness.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:That's the problem, they might be doing better, and I'm sure they are.
This is madness.

You have some schools the majority are going to be white, being as white is 87% of the population.

No evidence they have driven down wages either, in fact the evidence points to many wages increasing for many sectors.

No evidence to back either 50% do not speak English.

Again fear arguments used proving my point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 pm

In a white British country, what colour do you expect the majority of kids at school to be ...????

Plenty of evidence wages have been driven down and costs of living having risen.

You are a liar if you claim otherwise.

As even MPs have acknowledged this is true.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:In a white British country, what colour do you expect the majority of kids at school to be ...????

Plenty of evidence wages have been driven down and costs of living having risen.

You are a liar if you claim otherwise.

As even MPs have acknowledged this is true.

Britain is a Muticultural society, so what has skin colour got to do with anything, unless you as seen hold such absurd racial views.
Again evidence points that immigration has in many cases driven wages up, which many reports conclude

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Bollocks.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Wash your mouth out and grow up, there is a good chap

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:19 pm

You talk shite dodge.

You keep on with the same rubbish again and again after countless times of being proved wrong.

Unbelievable really.

Completely devoid of common sense

Let's try.....

Do you think the napp importation of cheap labour will....

a) drive wages up?

Or

b) drive wages down?

Do you know anything about basic laws of economics???

I'll give you a clue....

Ever heard of supply and demand????

YOu are a complete twat.

And I'm not even joking.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

So yet more childish replies with no evidence

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Do you think the mass importation of cheap labour will....

a) drive wages up?

Or

b) drive wages down?

I'll give you a clue....

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Post your evidence:

Here is mine:

Britain’s EU immigrants are a boon, not a burden. They are young and more likely to be in work than Britons, and thus pay more in taxes than they take out in benefi ts and public services. They do, however, push up housing costs – a problem Britain must confront.
Contrary to popular opinion, EU immigrants are far less likely to take up benefi ts than the British population. ‘Benefi t tourism’ is a canard: the great majority of EU immigrants come to Britain to work. Being net contributors to Britain’s public fi nances, they help the country to deal with the costs of an ageing society.
If Britain left the EU, future British governments would be more likely than not to curb immigration from the rest of Europe. But as baby-boomers retire and jobs are created at the high- and low-skilled ends of Britain’s labour market, demand for immigrant labour is likely to grow, not shrink.

http://www.cer.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/attachments/pdf/2014/report_smc_final_report_june2014-9013.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:20 pm

All very interesting and all that, but does not answer the question, although it is an example of supply and demand in action.

More immigrants = higher living costs for all.

Now what do you think will happen to wages with all this extra cheap labour available, as is the question below..???

Do you think the mass importation of cheap labour will....

a) drive wages up?

Or

b) drive wages down?

I'll give you a clue....

Also while they take the jobs, What happens to The person already here with no job as a result, however far down the line it is, one extra immigrant working will mean plus one already here to The dole queue claiming benefit, between £72 a week up to maybe £230 a week or more when including housing benefit and council tax benefit etc.

Does the tax paid by the immigrant worker cover the extra costs in benefit that result as shown above...???

(That is if they pay any tax at all cos we know many are self employee and just skip back home paying nothing at end of tax year)

Take your time dodge....

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 pm

I know plenty about economics and as seen immigration has brought up wages in many of the skilled industries, which answers your questions, which at least I can answer which as seen you always avoid and still present no evidence.

As seen more people are now in work so your next question is even more daft

So take your time presenting your evidence, where you never ever address any points made yo you and expect everyone to answer yours when as proven to the whole forum, you are the village idiot

If you cannot back your evidence, we are done and you have again not been able to back any of the claims you make

I love how you space massive gaps between your sentences as if to make your replies look longer

PMSL

Until tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm

"...

I love how you space massive gaps between your sentences as if to make your replies look longer..."

Is that why you have started copying me...???

Wages have declined over 10 years overall.

I know this for a fact as a skilled worke from personal experience and from many others who have experienced the same.

And I know that unskilled labourers have seen drop too.

Wages started going down after 2004, when funny enough, what happened then.....???

Let me think....????

Oh yes!

Open door EU immigration to all The eastern Europeans!!!!!

Day work rates for electricians went from £140-150 down to 130 then 120-130, then even 115-120, for a while and now only about £130-135.

Should have risen up from The £150 mark in ten years to £165-175 a day with inflation.

So don't tell me your bullshit.

I know first hand.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:21 am

Racist towards who??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down