NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon

2 posters

Go down

Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon Empty Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon

Post by Guest Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:53 pm

8th June 2014

Andy Murray has criticised Alex Salmond’s decision to ‘photobomb’ David Cameron with a Saltire after he won last year’s Wimbledon finals.

Stressing he always plays as a Brit, yhe tennis ace said he ‘didn’t like it’ when the First Minister unfurled the flag in the Royal Box, moments after his dramatic win over Novak Djokovic.

Mr Salmond was widely criticised at the time for trying to hijack the sporting triumph to push his case for Scottish independence, with critics telling him to ‘put it away dear’.

Mr Salmond smuggled the blue and white flag into Centre Court in the handbag of his wife, Moira.

As the crowd stood to applaud Murray’s win in straight sets, he pulled the Saltire out and waved it around directly behind Mr Cameron’s head.

The move was seen as a crass attempt to politicise one of the crown jewels in the sporting calendar.

Now, almost a year later, Murray himself has admitted he was not happy with the stunt.

In an interview with the Sunday Times he said had met Mr Salmond after winning the US Open in 2012.

‘He seemed perfectly nice to me but I didn’t like it when he [Salmond] got the Scottish flag up at Wimbledon,’ Murray said.

Mr Salmond defended his behaviour last year, insisting it had been a long time coming.

Alex Salmond today expressed surprise at US President Barack Obama issuing a public warning against independence.

Mr Obama last week said the US wanted Britain to remain ‘strong, robust, united and effective’, adding: ‘From the outside, at least, it looks like things have worked pretty well.'

In response, Mr Salmond told BBC One's Mar Show: ;It was certainly surprising, because the American government had made it very clear they were staying studiously neutral in the democratic referendum that is taking place in Scotland.

'But then of course, David Cameron has been begging everybody internationally to say anything to help with his travails at the moment. He’s right to be worried, incidentally – the latest yes poll’s at 46 per cent.

'So perhaps on the Richter scale of presidential interventions, this was pretty mild. It’s a matter for the folks of Scotland; he hopes that the UK will be strong and united as an ally.

Well, if Scotland becomes independent, America will have two allies in these islands, not one.'

'It’s the first Scot since Harold Mahony in 1896 – it’s not something that happens very often, so I think a few saltires hoisted over Wimbledon doesn’t really harm at all, the SNP leader said.

'This was after the match was finished, incidentally. This was part of the celebration.

'And the answer is no, I am not responsible for the seating arrangements in the royal box.

'I had the flag last year, actually – I just didn’t get the chance to wave it.'

But Tory Education Secretary Michael Gove said at the time: 'I think it was a wee bit of a stunt... my advice to Alex would just be "Put it away dear".'

Murray remains cautious about being seen to express a view on the prospect of Scotland breaking away from the UK, but he insisted he had always played as a Brit.

He added: ‘I started competing for Great Britain when I was 11.

‘I’m 27 now and I’ve been competing for Great Britain for 16 years.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651947/Andy-Murray-reveals-didnt-like-Alex-Salmond-waved-Saltire-historic-Wimbledon-victory.html#ixzz345hYSk4C

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon Empty Re: Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon

Post by Guest Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 am

BigAndy9 wrote:8th June 2014

Andy Murray has criticised Alex Salmond’s decision to ‘photobomb’ David Cameron with a Saltire after he won last year’s Wimbledon finals.

Stressing he always plays as a Brit, yhe tennis ace said he ‘didn’t like it’ when the First Minister unfurled the flag in the Royal Box, moments after his dramatic win over Novak Djokovic.

Mr Salmond was widely criticised at the time for trying to hijack the sporting triumph to push his case for Scottish independence, with critics telling him to ‘put it away dear’.

Mr Salmond smuggled the blue and white flag into Centre Court in the handbag of his wife, Moira.

As the crowd stood to applaud Murray’s win in straight sets, he pulled the Saltire out and waved it around directly behind Mr Cameron’s head.

The move was seen as a crass attempt to politicise one of the crown jewels in the sporting calendar.

Now, almost a year later, Murray himself has admitted he was not happy with the stunt.

In an interview with the Sunday Times he said had met Mr Salmond after winning the US Open in 2012.

‘He seemed perfectly nice to me but I didn’t like it when he [Salmond] got the Scottish flag up at Wimbledon,’ Murray said.

Mr Salmond defended his behaviour last year, insisting it had been a long time coming.

Alex Salmond today expressed surprise at US President Barack Obama issuing a public warning against independence.

Mr Obama last week said the US wanted Britain to remain ‘strong, robust, united and effective’, adding: ‘From the outside, at least, it looks like things have worked pretty well.'

In response, Mr Salmond told BBC One's Mar Show: ;It was certainly surprising, because the American government had made it very clear they were staying studiously neutral in the democratic referendum that is taking place in Scotland.

'But then of course, David Cameron has been begging everybody internationally to say anything to help with his travails at the moment. He’s right to be worried, incidentally – the latest yes poll’s at 46 per cent.

'So perhaps on the Richter scale of presidential interventions, this was pretty mild. It’s a matter for the folks of Scotland; he hopes that the UK will be strong and united as an ally.

Well, if Scotland becomes independent, America will have two allies in these islands, not one.'

'It’s the first Scot since Harold Mahony in 1896 – it’s not something that happens very often, so I think a few saltires hoisted over Wimbledon doesn’t really harm at all, the SNP leader said.

'This was after the match was finished, incidentally. This was part of the celebration.

'And the answer is no, I am not responsible for the seating arrangements in the royal box.

But Tory Education Secretary Michael Gove said at the time: 'I think it was a wee bit of a stunt... my advice to Alex would just be "Put it away dear".'

Murray remains cautious about being seen to express a view on the prospect of Scotland breaking away from the UK, but he insisted he had always played as a Brit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651947/Andy-Murray-reveals-didnt-like-Alex-Salmond-waved-Saltire-historic-Wimbledon-victory.html#ixzz345hYSk4C

You know Andy, just a pity you hadn't wrote that yourself rather than a media group...I enjoyed reading that! Smile

I saw on telly briefly the other day Cameron standing side by side with O'bama, with O'bama giving his thoughts on Scottish Indeoendence ...but I hadn't heard of Murray's take on the flag...

Mr.Salmond was obviously proud and there is nothing wrong with that, but I agree , he was also winding Cameron up and using this as an independence stunt  Laughing 

Im not really fond of Mr.Salmond btw,

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon Empty Re: Andy Murray Slams Salmond's Cheap Stunt At Wimbledon

Post by Fred Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:12 am

Mr Salmond is a word that rhymes with stunt.

Chances of Scots voting fin a majority for independence NIL.

This story won't help Salmond or his cause one bit.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 am

Alright said Fred wrote:Mr Salmond is a word that rhymes with stunt.

Chances of Scots voting fin a majority for independence NIL.

This story won't help Salmond or his cause one bit.

Well as I said, I'm none too fond of him either Drinky,,,but your none too don't of anything Scots are you? Laughing 

The yes is closing though Drinky, but I still think the No vote will win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:26 am

I actually prefer Salmond to the Westminster bunch, he has a shrewdness and a character that would help any of the three major leaders ease to victory south of the wall...

Shame I am completely opposed to the break up of the Union though Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:41 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:8th June 2014

You conveniently missed out some truths Andy!!!!

I thought Obama offered his thoughts himself on Scottish Independence....

But Cameron fcuking asked him to say this....

Very poor Andy...dishonourable , cheap and lies.

And your article about Salmond, Murray and the saltire was just a warm -up distraction wasn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down