NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L"

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L" Empty 2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L"

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:38 pm

The NFL has been using Roman numerals to designate Super Bowls since the fifth installment of the game in 1971. If you were a football fan growing up, there’s a good chance that because of this, you had a better grasp of the system than most of your classmates and friends.

The league announced Wednesday, however, that the designation will change in 2016, as it has decided to go with Super Bowl 50 rather than utilizing the Roman numeral “L.”

When asked about the change, the NFL’s vice president of brand and creative, Jamie Weston (via ESPN’s Darren Rovell), stated that this decision actually began to swing into motion back with Super Bowl 40, the first time the league had to use the “L.”

MORE COVERAGE: Offseason Report Cards | NFL Power Rankings | 2015 NFL Mock Draft

“When we developed the Super Bowl XL logo, that was the first time we looked at the letter ‘L,’” Weston said. “Up until that point, we had only worked with X’s, V’s and I’s. And, at that moment, that’s when we started to wonder what will happen when we get to 50?”

Super Bowl 50 will be played at the new San Francisco 49ers’ home, Levi’s Stadium, on Feb. 7, 2016.

Now if there is anyone out there that is disappointed by this move, for whatever reason, the good news is that once this Super Bowl has been played out, the league will be going back to using the Roman numerals.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/06/04/super-bowl-50-2016-san-francisco/?xid=nl_siextra

Kind of funny to check the comments at the source and see how many people think this is being done to be "politically correct" -- um, how?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L" Empty Re: 2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L"

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 pm

i think the 50 will look better than the L to be honest so i can see why they have done it...

its the game that matters anyway...

Back to top Go down

2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L" Empty Re: 2016 Super Bowl will be "Super Bowl 50," not "Super Bowl L"

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 am

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:i think the 50 will look better than the L to be honest so i can see why they have done it...

Agreed, "SUPER BOWL L" will looking confusing; "SUPER BOWL 50" will look kinda bad-ass.

They're changing it back to the Roman numerals after that one, anyway. I guess it just has some purists upset.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:i think the 50 will look better than the L to be honest so i can see why they have done it...

Agreed, "SUPER BOWL L" will looking confusing; "SUPER BOWL 50" will look kinda bad-ass.

They're changing it back to the Roman numerals after that one, anyway. I guess it just has some purists upset.

people don't like change as a rule but it happens and it needs to sometimes , if you look at the roman numerals on a clock or watch they are wrong just because it looks better...

as long as it is a fantastic game i don't care something like 50 to zip to the New York Giants would be an ideal final... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down