NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public

4 posters

Go down

U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public Empty U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:39 am

On Memorial Day this week, a former Marine in Texas named James got a couple calls from friends who'd spotted an unusual gathering in downtown Fort Worth: Roughly a dozen people, mostly men, were hanging out in the middle of the city's cultural district, armed with semi-automatic rifles. James quickly knew what his friends were describing, having recently encountered an open-carry demonstration himself in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. An independent TV commercial producer who sometimes films live events, James headed downtown with his camera to get some footage.

What he saw there struck him as especially provocative. Not only had the open-carry activists come to a typically relaxed, family friendly part of town, they were displaying intimidating firearms just three days after a major gun massacre in Southern California. What he didn't anticipate was that they would soon be pursuing him for several city blocks with cameras of their own, harassing him and later posting the footage online, where they would also level homophobic slurs and violent threats against him.

Women who speak out have been the primary target for gun activists, as I detailed in a recent investigation. But now, on a day meant to honor fallen service members, a military vet would make the hit list.

"I'll be happy to smash assholes like him," said one gun activist online. "Who here wants to help ruin him?" said another.

James, who asked that his last name not be used, knows his way around guns. He served for four years in the US Marines infantry, where he earned several awards for marksmanship. He is a gun owner, he told me, and a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and concealed-carry rights. But while carrying rifles publicly is legal in Texas, he felt that these guys—supporters of a movement that seeks to legalize the open carrying of handguns—were crossing a line.

The men, members of the groups Open Carry Texas and Open Carry Tarrant County, asked him which news network he was with. When he said he wasn't, things began turning frosty. They pressed him about what he thought of their demonstration, and he replied with an unvarnished opinion that included profanities, language he told me he regrets having used.

"I'm all for responsible gun owners," he says. "What I was taught was not to wear it around like a gold chain. What they're doing is irresponsible. It intimidates the public, and people have just as much right to be comfortable in their public environment as these guys have a right to own their firearms."

Suddenly he was surrounded by about a half-dozen armed men. They started badgering him with questions and accusing him of being anti-American. "I said, 'Are you kidding me? I served in the military.' They were trying to intimidate me, and when I didn't cower that upset them," he said. But he was starting to feel nervous and decided to disengage and walk away.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/guns-open-carry-texas-harassment-marine-veteran
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public Empty Re: U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 am

Put them in Jail
they are clearly Terrorising law abiding citizens, 2nd amendment doesn't give you the right to terrorise
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public Empty Re: U.S. gun advocates harass Marine Corps veteran for questioning their practice of carrying guns in public

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:18 am

veya_victaous wrote:Put them in Jail
they are clearly Terrorising law abiding citizens, 2nd amendment doesn't give you the right to terrorise

Absolutely correct, and I'm just glad I wasn't in that part of town when it happened (maybe 4 miles from me). I'm sure it was a scary sight.

These people in the open carry movement have been walking into fast food places around the U.S. with rifles strapped to themselves; I'm sure a lot of people thought they were about to witness another mass shooting.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 am

If you want to go down that route we need to start with Muslims

They terrorises more than anyone else

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:27 am

they were just harassing the poor bloke it annoyed me so i don't know he felt .

smelly_bandit you are correct if they put people like them in jail they have to do the same for Muslims who intimidate .

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am

smelly_bandit wrote:

And what do you think they call a group of Muslims with assault rifles in downtown Texas Suspect  Suspect  Suspect 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:45 am

veya_victaous wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

And what do you think they call a group of Muslims with assault rifles in downtown Texas Suspect  Suspect  Suspect 

Dead??

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:49 pm

Hey lone wolf, i'v asked you before to stop lumping me in with your "bigoted"posts, are you stupid or something? [I know the answer to that]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

if they want to carry guns and the law allows them to carry guns, what's the big deal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
Vicar of Dibley wrote:they were just harassing the poor bloke it annoyed me so i don't know he felt .

smelly_bandit you are correct if they put people like them in jail they have to do the same for Muslims who intimidate .

VoD is a braindead bigoted fuckwit...

ANYBODY aggressively and/or violently intimidating and harassing others is guilty of criminal conduct, doubly so when armed..

THAT group in Texas should be jailed ~ just imagine the noisy Smelly'/VoD/heavenly'/Tommy/nicko/L'ilAndy/eddie/Tess'/Gerbil's outcries if some dark-skinned or non-Christian group was behaving the same way in downtown London !  cyclops

I wondered how long it would be before you came out of the bush, anyway when it comes to brain dead people take a look at your best pal Joy Division he is a completer retard , cannot spell  ::D:: 
How many more members on here are you going to add to your daily list so you can give hate filled replies .

How is the rabies going are you frothing at the mouth yet ?, hurry up and die you braindead bigoted fuckwit....  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 pm

I loved in the article where it says "James admits to using profanities which he regrets"
What?! What?!
Its ok for these half wits to wander the streets scaring the residents but what will knot America's knickers it someone swearing.

Scary times people, seriously scary times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Nems wrote:I loved in the article where it says "James admits to using profanities which he regrets"
What?! What?!
Its ok for these half wits to wander the streets scaring the  residents but what will knot America's knickers it someone swearing.

agree nems and it will get worse i'm afraid to say  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:

VoD is a braindead bigoted fuckwit...

ANYBODY aggressively and/or violently intimidating and harassing others is guilty of criminal conduct, doubly so when armed..

THAT group in Texas should be jailed ~ just imagine the noisy Smelly'/VoD/heavenly'/Tommy/nicko/L'ilAndy/eddie/Tess'/Gerbil's outcries if some dark-skinned or non-Christian group was behaving the same way in downtown London !  cyclops

I wondered how long it would be before you came out of the bush, anyway when it comes to brain dead people take a look at your best pal Joy Division he is a completer retard , cannot spell  ::D:: 
How many more members on here are you going to add to your daily list so you can give hate filled replies .

How is the rabies going are you frothing at the mouth yet ?, hurry up and die you braindead bigoted fuckwit....  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

ffs, the God freaks are still rabid and taking fits I see  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Nems wrote:I loved in the article where it says "James admits to using profanities which he regrets"
What?! What?!
Its ok for these half wits to wander the streets scaring the  residents but what will knot America's knickers it someone swearing.

agree nems and it will get worse i'm afraid to say  No 

I agree, America's gun culture is out of control. Its too much of a hot potato for anyone to seek election on the basis of strict gun controls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down