NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack

2 posters

Go down

Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack Empty Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Scotland's white-on-blue diagonal St Andrew's cross could be cut out of the flag if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum on September 18.

As the Union Flag has not been adopted as Britain's official flag, even the prospect of independence has unfurled a quandary for admirers as no one has full authority over the flag.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/14/us-scotland-independence-flag-idUSBREA4D0B020140514

I propose that all costs incurred in the removal be added to the bill we send to Salmond on Sept 20th.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack Empty Re: Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 2:57 pm

What do the polls say about Scotland voting on it?
Still mostly "No"?

Back to top Go down

Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack Empty Re: Scottish independence bid flags questions about Union Jack

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Another thing I've been wondering about if the Scots go independent, what about immigrants with British passports living in Scotland on benefits? Do they have to give up their passport and get a Scottish one to keep their benefits, or will they all move to England?

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Tesstacious wrote:Another thing I've been wondering about if the Scots go independent, what about immigrants with British passports living in Scotland on benefits? Do they have to give up their passport and get a Scottish one to keep their benefits, or will they all move to England?

oooooooooooooooh tommy........that's a good one.

IMO British implies living within the United Kingdom, Scotland want out to be just Scotland. So new passports and that must surely lead to border crossings between us and them.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm mostly concerned with if Scotland going independent would have any affect on the situation in Northern Ireland to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Samhraí wrote:I'm mostly concerned with if Scotland going independent would have any affect on the situation in Northern Ireland to be honest.

I don't think so - unless you think it'll ignite some Republican fervour?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Samhraí wrote:I'm mostly concerned with if Scotland going independent would have any affect on the situation in Northern Ireland to be honest.

Maybe. I'm not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Samhraí wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:

Maybe. I'm not sure.

They are disputing the flying of the Union Jack. Has any one ever asked for a referendum on leaving the UK ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm

gerber wrote:
Samhraí wrote:
Maybe. I'm not sure.

They are disputing the flying of the Union Jack.  Has any one ever asked for a referendum on leaving the UK ?

To my knowledge they're waiting until they're sure they can pass the referendum because they can only hold one so often.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Samhraí wrote:
gerber wrote:

They are disputing the flying of the Union Jack.  Has any one ever asked for a referendum on leaving the UK ?

To my knowledge they're waiting until they're sure they can pass the referendum because they can only hold one so often.

Forgive my ignorance Tea, is it to become a state as Scotland wishes or to join forces with Eire ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 6:43 pm

gerber wrote:
Samhraí wrote:

Forgive my ignorance Tea, is it to become a state as Scotland wishes or to join forces with Eire ?

The referendum would be to join the Republic .

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Samhraí wrote:
gerber wrote:

So are the next generation thinking it will happen ?

Honest I had no idea. Amazing what one learns on here.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

gerber wrote:
Samhraí wrote:

So are the next generation thinking it will happen ?  

Honest I had no idea.  Amazing what one learns on here.  

Evening Gerbs, you are so right. There was an article in the papers the other day about Yorkshire wanting to be a separate country!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed May 14, 2014 8:00 pm

gerber wrote:Scotland's white-on-blue diagonal St Andrew's cross could be cut out of the flag if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum on September 18.

As the Union Flag has not been adopted as Britain's official flag, even the prospect of independence has unfurled a quandary for admirers as no one has full authority over the flag.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/14/us-scotland-independence-flag-idUSBREA4D0B020140514

I propose that all costs incurred in the removal be added to the bill we send to Salmond on Sept 20th.

Evening Gerbs.

We'll give you a dozen barrels of oil to settle the bill or just let you take it from our share of the assets that belong to us.  Smile 

The Union Jack appears on other flags as well but I suppose they won't be so petty about it Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
gerber wrote:Scotland's white-on-blue diagonal St Andrew's cross could be cut out of the flag if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum on September 18.

Evening Gerbs.

We'll give you a dozen barrels of oil to settle the bill or just let you take it from our share of the assets that belong to us.  Smile 

The Union Jack appears on other flags as well but I suppose they won't be so petty about it Laughing

The Union Jack appears on other flags because they're officially still tied to the UK like the commonwealth countries or the British Oversea Territories.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Samhraí wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

Evening Gerbs.

The Union Jack appears on other flags because they're officially still tied to the UK like the commonwealth countries or the British Oversea Territories.

Thanks Irn Laphroaig will suffice Forget the crude stuff !

Tea that is exactly the problem......................... They might all have to change.

Seems a small thing but in reality quite huge. Everything world wide that has the Union Jack from Sept might have to be removed.............. Everything....
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down