NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towns new mum

+2
Tommy Monk
Stephenmarra
6 posters

Go down

Towns new mum Empty Towns new mum

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 pm

We have swans nesting by the town bridge again this year - and the eggs have started hatching today so was able to get these pictures

Towns new mum 14124601984_8554b2af99_z

Towns new mum 13937616937_4f92a6fe22_z

Towns new mum 13937616047_a5afa3896c_z

Back to top Go down

Towns new mum Empty Re: Towns new mum

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:25 pm

sphinx wrote:We have swans nesting by the town bridge again this year - and the eggs have started hatching today so was able to get these pictures

Towns new mum 14124601984_8554b2af99_z

Towns new mum 13937616937_4f92a6fe22_z

Towns new mum 13937616047_a5afa3896c_z

Wow Sphinx  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm

So cute.

Was worried the eggs would not make it the river was up last week and water was lapping around the nest - if the water had come any higher the nest would have been destroyed.

Towns new mum 14062055551_cd8263e956_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

sphinx wrote:So cute.

Was worried the eggs would not make it the river was up last week and water was lapping around the nest - if the water had come any higher the nest would have been destroyed.  

Towns new mum 14062055551_cd8263e956_n

Brilliant pics Sphinx, Glad they are all ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm

I will go down tomorrow and get some more - hopefully all eggs will have hatched by then. She laid seven - although in previous years she has had one or two fail to hatch.

Still should be able to show everyone some newly swimming cygnets tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 7:41 pm

sphinx wrote:I will go down tomorrow and get some more - hopefully all eggs will have hatched by then.  She laid seven - although in previous years she has had one or two fail to hatch.

Still should be able to show everyone some newly swimming cygnets tomorrow.

That would be brilliant Sphinx thank you  I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Love the photos Sphinx. Hope you've got a  long lens camera as she'll be a bad tempered sod when you go back.

Maybe we could get Ben to have a pinned thread for photos as Stardesk is pretty handy with a camera as well.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Thank you.

I have got a 210 mm - but to honest the parents are well used to people and are generally pretty good even with cygnets in tow. Their nest is close to the path and they have so many people visiting. I was not the only one with a camera there today (or any other day lol) and they seem to take it all in their stride.

It is the ducks better watch out though - the cobb gets serious on their asses when he has babies on the water.

Mind you I will need the 210 if I want to catch babies on the parents back - which of course I do lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Make sure we get something posted every so-often so we can see the progress.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm

I will try to - the family have in previous years moved up river for a bit but I will get what I can

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 pm

sphinx wrote:I will try to - the family have in previous years moved up river for a bit but I will get what I can

That will be great Sphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue May 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Let's hope they do better than some of The others.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261044/Slaughter-swans-As-carcasses-pile-crude-camps-built-river-banks-residents-frightened-visit-park-Peterborough.html
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Wonderful pictures sphinx. You have talent. Thanks for sharing and making me smile x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Let's hope they do better than some of The others.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261044/Slaughter-swans-As-carcasses-pile-crude-camps-built-river-banks-residents-frightened-visit-park-Peterborough.html

Their biggest danger around here is mink. If any human were stupid enough to go after them the rest of the town would tear them limb from limb. They are held in great affection and the nest watched almost constantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Cass wrote:Wonderful pictures sphinx. You have talent. Thanks for sharing and making me smile x

Thank you cass Embarassed 

I am learning with the camera - and having so much fun. Digital is great because I can take as many bad shots as I need and it does not matter - I would be useless with film I could not afford the materials or time to find the decent shots lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Let's hope they do better than some of The others.....

Stop posting racist crap tommy....you cant challenge "multiculuralism" and it appears peterborough has been "multicultured".

i find it humerous though that the birth town of the woman that stated it all off is the one that gets it first...I do hope they are greatfull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Took this yesterday - there were 3 cygnets but I could only see 3 instead of 4 eggs as well so I dont know if one hatched and died and was removed by the parents.

Towns new mum 13952354969_05343d147a

I have been down today and apparently there have been 2 more hatch but they were not visible - I will carry on visiting and see what I can see

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 08, 2014 6:54 pm

They are just so damn cute!

Thanks x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Thu May 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Love the last  photo Sphinx, although mum has a  "don't mess with me or mine" look on her face.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Got these over the last few days - there are more on flickr but I will put the odd one here

you have the proud parents (cygnets and eggs warm under mum)
Towns new mum 14171367983_40a01fbbb5_n

Here is mum with five cygnets
Towns new mum 14154556784_a887a14657_n

A cygnet in the water
Towns new mum 13967735737_748a841cd6_n

And finally Dad watching 2 in the water
Towns new mum 14151071991_eb7ddb0c20_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 11, 2014 3:08 am

I want them now!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 11:50 am

They do look cuddly don,t they?

Mind you when you stand there thinking about climbing down to pick one up to cuddle you tend to see dad looking at you - and he is a big mature Cobb, who I would not like to tangle with.

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun May 11, 2014 11:55 am

I love to look at them...from a distance. I know from bitter experience they can be very nasty if you accidentally walk past them a bit too closely, especially when they have babies.
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 11:59 am

harvesmom wrote:I love to look at them...from a distance. I know from bitter experience they can be very nasty if you accidentally walk past them a bit too closely, especially when they have babies.

My daughter still has nightmares about being chased along Salford Quays by a huge swan  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Luckily this pair are well used to people and accept people quite close without stress. The nest is about 5 or 6 foot from the path which is 2 to 3 foot above the bit they nest on (might see if I can grab a picture showing it) and people on the path don't bother them at all. Further down the river is concrete platform where people feed the ducks or fish in season and there they will go right up to people and take bread out of their hands - they usually are happy taking the cygnets there after a month or so (if it is not flooded) and I will definitely be there taking close ups. By the time the Cygnets are about 6 months they will hopefully be hand feeding themselves with people they know and trust.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 11, 2014 3:45 pm

sphinx wrote:They do look cuddly don,t they?

Mind you when you stand there thinking about climbing down to pick one up to cuddle you tend to see dad looking at you - and he is a big mature Cobb, who I would not like to tangle with.

Oh I know. When I first moved over we lived alongside basingstoke canal....many a time I had to rescue my cat from being lunch....running down the garden clutching a hissing cat wearing oven gloves being chased quite quickly by 2 honking hissing swans....it was terrifying. Once we were in he would sit in front of the French doors to the patio taunting them. They would peck at the glass but eventually go away.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 pm

I love the pics Sphinx  cheers cheers cheers 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 11, 2014 4:43 pm

I do like swans.
Nice pics sphinx x
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 pm

As promised this is the view of the nest from across the river so you get an idea of how close to people it is (my earlier estimates were a bit out but not much)
Towns new mum 13976631988_08728948d1

And then just cause everyone keeps going "aaaahhhhhh"
Towns new mum 13976612059_fc8c0ae24f

I really cannot get why anyone would call baby swans ugly as ducklings or anything else for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Ahhhhhhh

No idea about ugly duckling saying...I used to have a book about origins of sayings...will try and find it but I'm sure google will be quicker
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 am

Cass wrote:
sphinx wrote:They do look cuddly don,t they?

Oh I know. When I first moved over we lived alongside basingstoke canal....many a time I had to rescue my cat from being lunch....running down the garden clutching a hissing cat wearing oven gloves being chased quite quickly by 2 honking hissing swans....it was terrifying. Once we were in he would sit in front of the French doors to the patio taunting them. They would peck at the glass but eventually go away.

OK...I gotta ask......why was your cat wearing oven gloves??????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Cass wrote:

Rolling Eyes Trust you! He'd just baked some catnips of course and had been taking them out of the oven. Don't you know anything!  cat cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Cass wrote:

Rofl. Cheers Vic. Brilliant. I was the one wearing oven gloves - the little bugger who was called Beethoven was a scratcher!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down