NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The curious survival of the US Communist Party

3 posters

Go down

The curious survival of the US Communist Party Empty The curious survival of the US Communist Party

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am

Like fellow movements around the world, the US Communist Party suffered a crippling blow with the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. But a small group of die-hard members persevered.

Not far from Wall Street, on the seventh floor of an elegant eight-storey building on West 23rd Street, is the headquarters of an improbable political survivor - the Communist Party USA.

The office is bright and modern. On one wall are black-and-white photo portraits of major figures in the party's history. The works of Marx, Engels and Lenin are stacked in bookshelves.

The building was bought to house the party in the 1970s before the surrounding neighbourhood of Chelsea became fashionable. "We got a great bargain on it," says secretary-treasurer Roberta Wood.

In a concession to capitalist reality, all but two floors are now rented out. The revenue supports People's World, an online publication that is the direct descendent of the party's long defunct newspaper, the Daily Worker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26126325

Well I never! And not far from Wall Street either. Just goes to show that some people will battle on whatever the odds
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

The curious survival of the US Communist Party Empty Re: The curious survival of the US Communist Party

Post by Original Quill Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 pm

It's a quaint reminder. Rather like a museum. I applaud them for keeping up the movement and preserving important writings of historical note. Like...as much as I dislike Mormonism, I applaud them for their visiting center in the Latter Day Saints Administration Building. I got my first copy of the Book of Mormon there.

Besides, it's harmless. The scary one was Joseph McCarthy. Lol.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The curious survival of the US Communist Party Empty Re: The curious survival of the US Communist Party

Post by Ben Reilly Sun May 04, 2014 1:12 am

What's funny is that from time to time, when Republicans start bleating particularly loudly about Obama being a Communist, they dust off one of these guys for a quote about how Obama's actually a fascist. Of course, nobody in the GOP pays any heed, they just keep saying the same things over and over ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down