NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 Empty Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 1266584975Stephen_Fry

Stephen Fry has said he will cancel his reservations with a Brunei-owned hotel chain, after the country passed a ‘stone the gays’ law.

The Dorchester Collection, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, is facing boycotts after the Sultan passed a change to the penal code, calling for gays to be stoned to death.

Last week an LGBT philanthropist conference opted to cancel its booking with the group’s luxury Beverly Hills Hotel , and yesterday designers Peter Som and Brian Atwood said they would move Fashion Week events away from the chain.

Joining the boycott, Fry said that he has cancelled his booking with the chain’s five-star Coworth Park Hotel, located in Ascot.

He tweeted today: “Cancelled in nick of time: discovered [Coworth Park] that I was booked into is part of the ‘Dorchester Collection’.”

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 CoworthParkUK

Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection
4 reader comments

Stephen Fry has said he will cancel his reservations with a Brunei-owned hotel chain, after the country passed a ‘stone the gays’ law.

The Dorchester Collection, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, is facing boycotts after the Sultan passed a change to the penal code, calling for gays to be stoned to death.

Last week an LGBT philanthropist conference opted to cancel its booking with the group’s luxury Beverly Hills Hotel , and yesterday designers Peter Som and Brian Atwood said they would move Fashion Week events away from the chain.

Joining the boycott, Fry said that he has cancelled his booking with the chain’s five-star Coworth Park Hotel, located in Ascot.

He tweeted today: “Cancelled in nick of time: discovered [Coworth Park] that I was booked into is part of the ‘Dorchester Collection’.”

In response to the boycott, the chain told WWD yesterday: “We are sensitive to the fact that any such potential withdrawal of business directly impacts our employees, who represent the full diversity of society.

“We continue to abide by the laws of the countries we operate in and do not tolerate any form of discrimination of any kind.

“We are aware that many variations of Sharia law are practiced in many countries throughout the world and these countries have diverse business interests including fashion, hospitality and travel groups, media, entertainment, banking and many other sectors.”

The new law was scheduled to come into force on Tuesday, but an official said that it would now be put in place “in the very near future”.

Before the passage of the new law, same-sex sexual activity was punishable in the Islamic state with up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/26/stephen-fry-boycotts-brunei-owned-hotel-over-stone-the-gays-law/

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 Empty Re: Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:19 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Sorry victor, you're full of it on this one.

Look at Arizona if you want a good example. Enough people said they'd boycott Arizona for holidays, business creation, etc. if the state went through on its proposal to allow business owners to kick gay people out of their premises that Arizona's governor vetoed the bill -- even though it was her own party that proposed it.

If enough people did that with Brunei, their government would change so that their country didn't go broke.

And if voting with your money isn't freedom of expression, I don't know what the fuck is.

I would never boycott Arizona - lovely place (especially Scottsdale - boy is that place clean and tidy)!

Back to top Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 Empty Re: Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 am

Eilzel wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

apart from the fact that this is about "gay" issues in general, what has it got to do with YOUR (individual) sexuality??

yer gert tit...

let me explain

the sad sultan is a Muslim....it is Muslim ideology that is the problem....therefor you should hit home...I.e at the Muslims...NOT do things which jepordise white , gay and straight, hard working non Muslims people here.....

Victor, in all respect, that is ridiculous. You think it's actually somehow better to boycott ALL Muslim businesses, millions of who do not support stoning to death or have a problem with gay people- just because of what it says in their holy book?

Presumably you wouldn't have supported the boycott of Apartheid South Africa either?
Even YOU missed the point,,,

boycotting SA goods hit SA...NOT UK firms (in general).

Taken to its logical conclusion...this would hit UK employees of UK BASED branches of the chain....

THERFORE I asked the question...which everyone is ducking like scared chickens.....

IF it came to that....do you consider the loss of those UK jobs, a good price to pay, and therefore consider those affected as mere collateral damage.

How far is the gay community prepared to go in its war on wankers?

but its OK Eil...I dont really expect a commited answer, because I know that the TRUE answer is incompatible with the rest of lefty leanings..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 am

Shady wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:and never mind the 100's or 1000's of non Muslim gay and straight employees that may be affected....

what are they catman...mere collateral damage in your "war"?   dont give a shit about them do we....nah....

Good morning Victor.

Great post although I don't entirely agree with you.But it will get the nosh bosuns & apologists wound up.

Blimely they're queueing up for a crack at you.

Tis OK Captain.....I have me tin hat flash suit and body armor on  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:05 am

Alot of men are obsessive in their burning hatred of same sex activity and create laws to try and halt it or kill people who indulge in it.

I find it bloody weird.

Love Stephen Fry  cheers 
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:50 am

Sassy wrote:I presume you are not serious Victor.   You don't think women would do the same if it was about him passing a  law stoning them for something.

Well sassy it's interesting that you say that since the feminists have been utterly silent in the face of many Muslim counties oppressing woman

Never mind other countries let's look at the sexual segregation taking place in uk schools run by Muslims

Where are all the feminists??

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Victor, in all respect, that is ridiculous. You think it's actually somehow better to boycott ALL Muslim businesses, millions of who do not support stoning to death or have a problem with gay people- just because of what it says in their holy book?

Presumably you wouldn't have supported the boycott of Apartheid South Africa either?
Even YOU missed the point,,,

boycotting SA goods hit SA...NOT UK firms (in general).

Taken to its logical conclusion...this would hit UK employees of UK BASED branches of the chain....

THERFORE I asked the question...which everyone is ducking like scared chickens.....

IF it came to that....do you consider the loss of those UK jobs, a good price to pay, and therefore consider those affected as mere collateral damage.

How far is the gay community prepared to go in its war on wankers?

but its OK Eil...I dont really expect a commited answer, because I know that the TRUE answer is incompatible with the rest of lefty leanings..

Ok, first of all, just to state my position on this- this boycott, and many other boycotts that came before, are in fact mostly a waste of time and achieve nothing.

However, I don't agree that the reason not to boycott should be based on the reasons you give. You imply that because boycotting SA which I mentioned doesn't effect people here. So I understand you to mean you would have no problem crippling the livelihoods of foreigners; only Brits. People are people as Sass says, so that doesn't wash.

And for those whose jobs would be at risk (in the unlikely even such a boycott even had an impact); well that would be sad but fgs sometimes there is a principle. If a company was doing something seriously bad while creating a product would you object to boycotting that product because it might impact front line jobs? What would you be prepared to let fly if actually acting meant someone else 'might' be out of work?

As I said I find boycotts ineffective much of the time in any case, since most people are blissfully unaware of most of the injustices in business; but if that actually worked they would get my full support- if you don't do something you don't change anything.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Good for Stephen Fry - can't blame him at all really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:and bugger who you take down in the process...yeah...I understand OK....

SO...by THAT standard...It would be perfectly alright for someone ...lets say a business owner, who loses a family member to some nut job Muslim atrocity, to sack all his Muslim workers????

NO?.....i thought not, yet you cannot explain in any rational way, the difference between the two.....

If those Muslim workers sympathised with and approved of the killing, I wouldn't blame the employer.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:
yeah...but how much INCOME are you allowed??

or are you spending your "lump sum"   and did you declare the lump sum when you received it as income you orrible hobgoblin

The house in Spain hasn't been sold yet, my mother invested money in my brothers houses, as a means to help them, and also the rental from one room in, one of my brothers houses would provide extra to her pension.

When my mum died, the 50K that my mum invested into my brothers house...and over time, my brother doesn't need to send the rental income, for that room to my mum anymore, so that has been diverted to me!

There is another 50K, that was invested into my other brothers property, he sold that a few years back, that was put into a high interest account, that can't be touched for about another year and a half.

We are all above board....So go weep Druid moron!

Razz Razz Razz 

So you get income that you're not declaring then. That's bad.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Catman wrote:

The house in Spain hasn't been sold yet, my mother invested money in my brothers houses, as a means to help them, and also the rental from one room in, one of my brothers houses would provide extra to her pension.

When my mum died, the 50K that my mum invested into my brothers house...and over time, my brother doesn't need to send the rental income, for that room to my mum anymore, so that has been diverted to me!

There is another 50K, that was invested into my other brothers property, he sold that a few years back, that was put into a high interest account, that can't be touched for about another year and a half.

Razz Razz Razz 

It's been explained enough times to you, where this doesn't have to be declared.
There are some really spiteful and jealous RWhingers on here!

lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Catman wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's been explained enough times to you, where this doesn't have to be declared.

lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol! 

Income does have to be declared. Did you mention your income at the appeal?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

...quite right too, 'stone the gays' ffs.

Anyone passing such sick and vile laws need killing themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Catman wrote:

Fuck off Rags.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Catman wrote:

Razz Razz Razz 

They're all at it Ragga.

"I'm so poor, I sometimes miss meals so I can feed my pit bull, my two parrots and pet rat."

"And I didn't go on holiday last year."

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Catman wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off Rags.

That'll be a no then. You should declare it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Catman wrote:Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 1266584975Stephen_Fry

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 CoworthParkUK

Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection
4 reader comments

In response to the boycott, the chain told WWD yesterday: “We are sensitive to the fact that any such potential withdrawal of business directly impacts our employees, who represent the full diversity of society.

“We continue to abide by the laws of the countries we operate in and do not tolerate any form of discrimination of any kind.

“We are aware that many variations of Sharia law are practiced in many countries throughout the world and these countries have diverse business interests including fashion, hospitality and travel groups, media, entertainment, banking and many other sectors.”

The new law was scheduled to come into force on Tuesday, but an official said that it would now be put in place “in the very near future”.

Before the passage of the new law, same-sex sexual activity was punishable in the Islamic state with up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/26/stephen-fry-boycotts-brunei-owned-hotel-over-stone-the-gays-law/

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

Feel free to share and discuss anything you're interested in, but please note that members who consistently hijack threads to steer them toward discussions of their favorite "pet" topics may be asked to leave. You can view our rules here.

.....Meanwhile back on topic...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Catman wrote:
Catman wrote:Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law - Page 2 1266584975Stephen_Fry

4 reader comments

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

Feel free to share and discuss anything you're interested in, but please note that members who consistently hijack threads to steer them toward discussions of their favorite "pet" topics may be asked to leave. You can view our rules here.

.....Meanwhile back on topic...

It was you who started talking about your income actually.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:04 pm

4 reader comments

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

.....Meanwhile...Back on topic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Sassy wrote:I presume you are not serious Victor.   You don't think women would do the same if it was about him passing a  law stoning them for something.

Well sassy it's interesting that you say that since the feminists have been utterly silent in the face of many Muslim counties oppressing woman

Never mind other countries let's look at the sexual segregation taking place in uk schools run by Muslims

Where are all the feminists??

I consider myself a feminist and have often stated I am not in support of the veil that covers the entire face.

The headscarf is fine but covering the eyes of a human being surely is a breech of human rights and completely unethical.I have never agreed with it and think the motivation behind it is one of repression and control.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 pm

4 reader comments

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

Good for him. He is famous and his boycott will bring the attention needed to condemn such a stupid law.

@ Victor i think you jumping the gun a bit in regards to jobs lost tbh. Your suggestion to burning the Qurans will only make this situation worse!  Evil or Very Mad
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 pm

His boycott will do nothing except force him to make alternate arrangements

I doubt The sultan of Brunei will be overly concerned the boycott

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:33 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:His boycott will do nothing except force him to make alternate arrangements

If others follow suit it may make a difference.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:His boycott will do nothing except force him to make alternate arrangements

The Sultan of Brunei has no business having hotels in this country.  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:36 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:

Indeed.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Does anyone honestly think the Sultan will even know?!

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Nems wrote:Does anyone honestly think the Sultan will even know?!

Im sure he will be informed about it. We have to wait and see if other 'celebrities' follow suit though and create an impact.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:08 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Nems wrote:Does anyone honestly think the Sultan will even know?!

Im sure he will be informed about it. We have to wait and see if other 'celebrities' follow suit though and create an impact.

I disagree, I honestly cant imagine a lackey running to tell his sultanship that Stephen Fry has cancelled his booking.
Would have been better for Stephen Fry to tell him himself at Ascot perhaps?!
But what if other celebrities do follow suit? What if they all think you bastard and boycot the place, what will happen? Do you think the Sultan will abandon his beliefs? No, if the hotel stops making money he will close it. And I think that is the point Victor is making about who will this atually hurt?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I've been to Borneo many times for training & exercises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Shady wrote:I've been to Borneo many times for training & exercises.

done some J time in Brunei

pretty gopping

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:40 pm

SM & Eil....its not the act that I'm talking about, since as EIL says these things are usually a total waste of time...a fart in a collander...however its the mentality behind it that says that regardless of the consequences...we ( a small, even tiny, section of society) consider it PERFECTLY ok to carry out an action that will end up with another section of society losing its work(and dont give a monkeys as to the consequences)

Edit.....in other words...(as an example...lets say I was working in the hotel trade ).....JUST what gives you the right to place MY job in jeopardy in persuit of YOUR principles?

are your "Priciples" sufficiently strong as to guarantee, out of your own pockets these folks wages until such time as they found other work???

NOW  not long ago we had powerful unions whos actions were decryed for just this...THEY were destroyed on the back of that kind of mentality...and thus we have the utter mess we are in now vis a vis jobs and conditions....

SM.... yes I'm quite aware that burning korans would be...inflammatory....BUT why not...its no bigger injustice than what said sultan has done, Simply because it would spark an riot is no excuse...the riot should then be smashed violently if its over here....If the riots were over there then perhaps THAT might engage the notice of the miserable old devil....

The truth is that people like fry (and others) lack the balls to take on Islamic issue they dislike head on....

question...do Muslims in this country run B&b places???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:

they wont

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:SM & Eil....its not the act that I'm talking about, since as EIL says these things are usually a total waste of time...a fart in a collander...however its the mentality behind it that says that regardless of the consequences...we ( a small, even tiny, section of society) consider it PERFECTLY ok to carry out an action that will end up with another section of society losing its work(and dont give a monkeys as to the consequences)

Edit.....in other words...(as an example...lets say I was working in the hotel trade ).....JUST what gives you the right to place MY job in jeopardy in persuit of YOUR principles?

are your "Priciples" sufficiently strong as to guarantee, out of your own pockets these folks wages until such time as they found other work???

NOW  not long ago we had powerful unions whos actions were decryed for just this...THEY were destroyed on the back of that kind of mentality...and thus we have the utter mess we are in now vis a vis jobs and conditions....

SM.... yes I'm quite aware that burning korans would be...inflammatory....BUT why not...its no bigger injustice than what said sultan has done, Simply because it would spark an riot is no excuse...the riot should then be smashed violently if its over here....If the riots were over there then perhaps THAT might engage the notice of the miserable old devil....

The truth is that people like fry (and others) lack the balls to take on Islamic issue they dislike head on....

I have no idea but I'd say probably. There is certainly a small Muslim run hotel in London me and my BF stayed at a few years ago; it was quite clear we were partners and were to share a bed and we had no problems.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Eilzel wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:SM & Eil....its not the act that I'm talking about, since as EIL says these things are usually a total waste of time...a fart in a collander...however its the mentality behind it that says that regardless of the consequences...we ( a small, even tiny, section of society) consider it PERFECTLY ok to carry out an action that will end up with another section of society losing its work(and dont give a monkeys as to the consequences)

I have no idea but I'd say probably. There is certainly a small Muslim run hotel in London me and my BF stayed at a few years ago; it was quite clear we were partners and were to share a bed and we had no problems.

you wouldn't tell us if you did have problems anyway

we all know how much you love your Muslims

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Shut up divvy.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Eilzel wrote:Shut up divvy.

come on elizel

be honest here

would you really risk taking the heat off of the "evil Christians" by admitting that Muslims can be as bad if not worse??

is the story even true???

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:48 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Shut up divvy.

come on elizel

be honest here

would you really risk taking the heat off of the "evil Christians" by admitting that Muslims can be as bad if not worse??

is the story even true???

Have you missed the target of the OP article, you absolute twonk.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2