NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project

2 posters

Go down

Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project Empty Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:24 pm

The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded Stonewall £68,800 for a new project charting its involvement with the gay rights movement over the last 25 years.

Britain’s largest gay rights charity, which celebrated its 25th anniversary earlier this month with a celebrity gala dinner, will chronicle and celebrate the accomplishments of key individuals, historic events and legislative changes.

The two-year project will involve a number of activities around the country, volunteering opportunities and an oral history project to celebrate the older lesbian, gay and bisexual community.

Stonewall’s Head of Policy James Taylor said: “We are thrilled to have the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund to ensure the voices and contributions of all those involved in the gay equality movement since 1989 are not lost or forgotten.”

In March, Stonewall launched a new website to mark its 25th anniversary. The site features a historical timeline of key moments in the fight for equality and can be found here.

Stonewall was formed in 1989 in response to the arrival of Section 28, a law which banned the “promotion” of homosexuality in schools.

Section 28 was introduced under the Thatcher government as part of the Local Government Act in 1988.

The act was repealed first of all in Scotland in 2000.

It was later repealed under Tony Blair’s Labour government in 2003 for England and Wales and the current Conservative Prime Minister, David Cameron, apologised for the policy in 2009.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/17/heritage-lottery-fund-awards-stonewall-over-68000-for-gay-history-project/

cheers cheers cheers   Great news that Stonewall is being recognised for the invaluable work that it's being doing over the last couple of decades!

Last edited by Catman on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project Empty Re: Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 pm

i think its important to document the raise of homofascism

Back to top Go down

Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project Empty Re: Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:i think its important to document the raise of  homofascism

Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 am

Not much has changed with the Tories really!  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 am

I hope they put Quintin Crisp in it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 am

Sassy wrote:I hope they put Quintin Crisp in it!

I'm sure that he's included in the history!  Razz 

I'm just talking from a personal point of view, since the gay youth that i was apart of, we were around when they Thatcher introduced section 28, and i can remember the anger.  Mad 

They tried to close down our youth group, but we fought back under the banner of promoting sexual awareness!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 am

Embarassed 

I didn't know that Stonewall was born in the UK, during my generations time tbf!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Stonewall was originally a gay club in Manhatten, where protests arose between the gay community and the NYC Police in June 28, 1968.  Since then, thousands of gay organizations and clubs have been named Stonewall, after this watershed incident.

wiki wrote:The Stonewall riots were a series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid that took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City. They are widely considered to constitute the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States.

Gay Americans in the 1950s and 1960s faced a legal system more anti-homosexual than those of some Warsaw Pact countries.  Early homophile groups in the U.S. sought to prove that gay people could be assimilated into society, and they favored non-confrontational education for homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. The last years of the 1960s, however, were very contentious, as many social movements were active, including the African American Civil Rights Movement, the Counterculture of the 1960s, and antiwar demonstrations. These influences, along with the liberal environment of Greenwich Village, served as catalysts for the Stonewall riots.

Very few establishments welcomed openly gay people in the 1950s and 1960s. Those that did were often bars, although bar owners and managers were rarely gay. At the time, the Stonewall Inn was owned by the Mafia.  It catered to an assortment of patrons and was known to be popular among the poorest and most marginalized people in the gay community: drag queens, representatives of a newly self-aware transgender community, effeminate young men, male prostitutes, and homeless youth. Police raids on gay bars were routine in the 1960s, but officers quickly lost control of the situation at the Stonewall Inn. They attracted a crowd that was incited to riot. Tensions between New York City police and gay residents of Greenwich Village erupted into more protests the next evening, and again several nights later. Within weeks, Village residents quickly organized into activist groups to concentrate efforts on establishing places for gays and lesbians to be open about their sexual orientation without fear of being arrested.

After the Stonewall riots, gays and lesbians in New York City faced gender, race, class, and generational obstacles to becoming a cohesive community. Within six months, two gay activist organizations were formed in New York, concentrating on confrontational tactics, and three newspapers were established to promote rights for gays and lesbians. Within a few years, gay rights organizations were founded across the U.S. and the world. On June 28, 1970, the first Gay Pride marches took place in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago commemorating the anniversary of the riots. Similar marches were organized in other cities. Today, Gay Pride events are held annually throughout the world toward the end of June to mark the Stonewall riots.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:Stonewall was originally a gay club in Manhatten, where protests arose between the gay community and the NYC Police in June 28, 1968.  Since then, thousands of gay organizations and clubs have been named Stonewall, after this watershed incident.

wiki wrote:The Stonewall riots were a series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid that took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City. They are widely considered to constitute the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States.

Gay Americans in the 1950s and 1960s faced a legal system more anti-homosexual than those of some Warsaw Pact countries.  Early homophile groups in the U.S. sought to prove that gay people could be assimilated into society, and they favored non-confrontational education for homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. The last years of the 1960s, however, were very contentious, as many social movements were active, including the African American Civil Rights Movement, the Counterculture of the 1960s, and antiwar demonstrations. These influences, along with the liberal environment of Greenwich Village, served as catalysts for the Stonewall riots.

Very few establishments welcomed openly gay people in the 1950s and 1960s. Those that did were often bars, although bar owners and managers were rarely gay. At the time, the Stonewall Inn was owned by the Mafia.  It catered to an assortment of patrons and was known to be popular among the poorest and most marginalized people in the gay community: drag queens, representatives of a newly self-aware transgender community, effeminate young men, male prostitutes, and homeless youth. Police raids on gay bars were routine in the 1960s, but officers quickly lost control of the situation at the Stonewall Inn. They attracted a crowd that was incited to riot. Tensions between New York City police and gay residents of Greenwich Village erupted into more protests the next evening, and again several nights later. Within weeks, Village residents quickly organized into activist groups to concentrate efforts on establishing places for gays and lesbians to be open about their sexual orientation without fear of being arrested.

After the Stonewall riots, gays and lesbians in New York City faced gender, race, class, and generational obstacles to becoming a cohesive community. Within six months, two gay activist organizations were formed in New York, concentrating on confrontational tactics, and three newspapers were established to promote rights for gays and lesbians. Within a few years, gay rights organizations were founded across the U.S. and the world. On June 28, 1970, the first Gay Pride marches took place in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago commemorating the anniversary of the riots. Similar marches were organized in other cities. Today, Gay Pride events are held annually throughout the world toward the end of June to mark the Stonewall riots.

Stonewall UK was born after the introduction of section 28 in this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:14 am

Catman wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Stonewall was originally a gay club in Manhatten, where protests arose between the gay community and the NYC Police in June 28, 1968.  Since then, thousands of gay organizations and clubs have been named Stonewall, after this watershed incident.

Nevertheless, give due for the pioneers. These people make it possible for you to speak.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 am

Original Quill wrote:
Catman wrote:

Nevertheless, give due for the pioneers.  These people make it possible for you to speak.

The original pioneeers, which i know all about and have great respect for had nothing to do with this particular story, you fucking condescending wanker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 am

The name will certainly have been taken as homage to the riots in NYC; but gay rights movements in the UK predate them by some years; remember, homosexuality was legalized the previoua year in the UK.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am

stonewall

sounds very inclusive and non militant at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Catman wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Nevertheless, give due for the pioneers.  These people make it possible for you to speak.

The original pioneeers, which i know all about and have great respect for had nothing to do with this particular story, you fucking condescending wanker.

"...you fucking condescending wanker."  Phil "Catman" Stonewall. Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project Lol-053 And you were the one who stole/copied my name, "Quill" and represented you were me on a thousand different websites, including this one.  I was so flattered.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Catman wrote:

"...you fucking condescending wanker."  Phil "Catman" Stonewall. Heritage Lottery Fund awards Stonewall over £68,000 for gay history project Lol-053 And you were the one who stole/copied my name, "Quill" and represented you were me on a thousand different websites, including this one.  I was so flattered.

It would seem that your fantasies, aren't just restricted to gang related ones, you deluded prick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Oh...did I mention I was told by website owners/admins it was you?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Eilzel wrote:The name will certainly have been taken as homage to the riots in NYC; but gay rights movements in the UK predate them by some years; remember, homosexuality was legalized the previoua year in the UK.

I was simply responding to Phil, who said...

Catman wrote:I didn't know that Stonewall was born in the UK, during my generations time tbf!

Other movements were likely much before the sixties, Les. Don't mean to detract from them...just gave the history of the Stonewall Inn riots.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down