NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny

4 posters

Go down

Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny Empty Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny

Post by veya_victaous Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 am

CNN reporter Jeanne Moos has apologised for a video segment poking fun at the Maori traditions witnessed by Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge during their New Zealand visit.

In a traditional Maori welcome at Wellington’s Government House on April 7, Prince William and his wife Kate were greeted by tattooed Maori dancers clad in traditional garments.

But in a video report for CNN, Moos’ called the greeting a “royal bummer”, asking: “Is this any way to welcome a future king and queen?”

Moos then went on to compare the royals’ New Zealand welcome to other examples of world leaders “going native”.

She highlighted archival footage of former First Lady Laura Bush being welcomed by New Zealand army officers serving in Afghanistan, describing their performance of the haka as “slapping and thrusting”. Moos said the CNN report at the time described the haka as “a cross between a Chippendales lap dance and the mating dance of an emu”.

Her report quickly went viral for all the wrong reasons, clocking up almost 170,000 views on YouTube — with more than 5000 ‘dislikes’ and less than 200 ‘likes’.

Wellington resident Jayden Evett, 18, started a petition on Change.org demanding an apology from Moos. In the petition, which has so far received more than 25,000 signatures, Evett writes:

“I am aware that Ms Moos is of some repute for her reporting on what appear to be more unusual stories from current affairs. However her blatant disregard for, and insensitive commentary concerning the Māori culture and its customs are inadmissable. Though these practices might seem out of the ordinary for someone who is not familiar with New Zealand or its traditions, there are never any grounds in which to mock these is in anyway tolerable.”

This week, Moos offered an apology — of sorts.

“Duly noted. I do humour and satire, and I am truly sorry if the tone of my story offended anyone,” she said.

Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny 370929-d8494fec-c461-11e3-bab8-8304ee1bf4f2
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny Empty Re: Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am

Seeing that photo I'm thinking "bummer" was a pun ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny Empty Re: Jeanne Moos really ignorant about Maori, and pronouces 'emu' funny

Post by eddie Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 am

Why is Kate dressing like a granny?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 am

eddie wrote:Why is Kate dressing like a granny?

Cause she's gotta be regal like to us colonials  pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat 

The Women on TV all think she looks fantastic  Cool Cool Cool  I haven't heard a real  Rolling Eyes person talking about them yet but they only arrived here yesterday afternoon.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 pm

I wish my grannie had of dressed like that.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down