NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks

+2
eddie
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks Empty South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

A huge rescue operation is continuing into the night after a ferry carrying hundreds of children and their teachers sinks.

Almost 300 people are missing after a ferry sank off the coast of South Korea.

Four people have been confirmed dead so far - including a male student, a female crew member and another unidentified man.

The South Korean government says about 180 people have been rescued so far but 295 remain unaccounted for.

The ferry, with 476 people and 150 vehicles on board, was sailing to the southern island of Jeju when it sent a distress call at 9am local time (1am UK time) on Wednesday morning as it began listing to one side.

Within two hours it had completely capsized, with only the front part of its hull visible above the water.

A cause has yet to be established, although one witness told television channel YTN there had been a "loud impact and noise" before it began sinking.

Captain John Noble, a marine salvage expert, told Sky News the most likely explanation was the ferry hit a rock.

He added that passengers would have struggled to get off the ferry quite soon after it began listing.

"Once a ship gets beyond 20 degrees it is impossible for passengers to stand up without holding onto something," he said.

"Once a ship gets to its side you completely lose your orientation. Those poor people would really have relied on rescuers to get them out.

"It's truly remarkable so many rescue crews got there so quickly."

The 325 students and 15 teachers on board were from Danwon High School in Ansan, near Seoul. They were reportedly on their way to the Jeju island for a four-day trip.

More in the article

http://news.sky.com/story/1243357/south-korea-295-missing-after-ferry-sinks

Nearly all children  No 

Back to top Go down

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks Empty Re: South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

yes this is terrible been on the news here this morning, many of the missing are children on a school excursion.  Sad 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks Empty Re: South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm

veya_victaous wrote:yes this is terrible been on the news here this morning, many of the missing are children on a school excursion.  Sad 

Been on the news here tonight and film of the rescue. They must have been terrified.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Oh no.
Poor bubbas.

Oh I hate news like this.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 pm

At lunchtime on the radio one of the kids that was rescued was saying that an announcement came of the tannoy to say not to worry and stay where they were, and most of them were below deck. So they got swamped before they could get above.  Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Sad Sad Sad 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Doesn't this belong in the Asia section?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 pm

"The hallway is crowded with so many people," one girl wrote to her father as those on board contacted relatives from the ship.

Teenagers on the stricken South Korean ferry sent heartbreaking messages to their families as it capsized and sank.

Mobile phone footage and messages from passengers suggest they were advised to stay where they were as they vessel listed severely to one side.

But the advice may have effectively sealed the fates of many of those on board, making escape impossible as the ferry sank into the icy depths.

One 18-year-old student messaged his mother on the KakaoTalk messaging app at 9.27am (1.27am UK time) - shortly after the ferry sent its first distress call.

He wrote: "Mum, I'm sending this because I might not be able to say it later. I love you."

Seven minutes later his mother - unaware of the trouble the vessel was in - replied: "Why? ... I thought you don't check your KakaoTalk messages.

"Me too son... I love you."

There are reports that the young man involved may be one of the lucky 179 survivors rescued before the ship capsized and went under the water.

Another student sent a series of messages to friends in a theatre club just after 9am.

He wrote: "Hey really seriously.

"Love you all for real.

"Looks like we really are gonna die.

"No really the ship's tilting.

"You guys really.

"If I've wronged any of you. Forgive me."

A female passenger, also 18, messaged her father at around 10am as the ship started to sink.

She wrote: "Dad don't worry too much. I am wearing a life vest and am with other girls."

A few minutes later, as the situation deteriorated, she added: "I can't. It's too tilted. Can't move ... it's more dangerous if I move."

Her distraught father wrote back, urging her to try to get out, but it was already too late.

"Dad, I can't. The ship is too tilted. The hallway is crowded with so many people," she responded in a final message.

At 9.23am a 16-year-old called Kim Woong-Ki texted his older brother saying: "Brother, I'm riding a ship to Jeju Island and the ship hit something and it can't move."

After he was asked how bad the damage was, he said: "I don't know about that, since I'm inside. I don't have good coverage and just now the Coast Guards arrived."

The teenager's brother replied: "The rescue will arrive soon. Don't panic. Be calm and strong. You just need to move quickly as instructed. When you have coverage contact me again."

An icon on the brother's phone shows that his last message was not read and Kim was listed among almost 290 unaccounted for.

Some parents managed a last, traumatic phone call with their children as they tried to escape.

"He told me the ship was tilted over and he couldn't see anything," one mother recalled of a panicked conversation with her student son.

"He said 'I haven't put on the life jacket yet', and then the phone went dead," the mother told the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper.

http://news.sky.com/story/1244267/ferry-disaster-desperate-texts-during-sinking

They will never be able to get rid of those phones, awful, just awful.  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm

its gods fault for not making the ferry sink proof

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:its gods fault for not making the ferry sink proof

Smelly, perhaps too soon for snide comments eh?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 pm

The vice principal of the school whose pupils were on the ferry and was rescued himself hanged himself today.

Arrest warrant issued for captain of ferry. He was not at helm when it started to sink but third mate was. 28 confirmed dead. 270 still missing.

Relatives distraught after conflicting bulletins from officials.

This seems to be developing a pattern here - conflicting news from officials. Is it a cultural thing whereby they don't want to lose face or is it sheer ineptness or trying to get out information, any information before relatives here it in the media or social networks and they will be dammed either way or a combination of all of the above?

All items on CNN except my own comments last paragraph but I cant post links.

What sheer and utter hell for the families Sad
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

This is just like the Costa Concordia, which capsized on January 13, 2012.

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQthHixUloWQBFv2PyTtLraKN0N-YHo0b3YP5oJGGeBdZyfGjdtbMtVwGc

Almost makes you think that ships and aircraft shouldn't be allowed in the hands of third-worlders.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:This is just like the Costa Concordia, which capsized on January 13, 2012.  

South Korea: 295 Missing After Ferry Sinks Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQthHixUloWQBFv2PyTtLraKN0N-YHo0b3YP5oJGGeBdZyfGjdtbMtVwGc

Almost makes you think that ships and aircraft shouldn't be allowed in the hands of third-worlders.
Of course this wouldn't happen in the West.  Rolling Eyes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald_of_Free_Enterprise
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Original Quill wrote:This is just like the Costa Concordia, which capsized on January 13, 2012.  

Of course this wouldn't happen in the West.  Rolling Eyes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald_of_Free_Enterprise

Nearly 200 died on that didn't they Stephen?

Costa Concordia was an Italian ship. Italy is a third world country now is it? There's ignorance for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Sassy wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Costa Concordia was an Italian ship.   Italy is a third world country now is it?   There's ignorance for you.

Saying nowt,   Evil or Very Mad   I'll just be accused of being a part of a posse.  Rolling Eyes
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Costa Concordia was an Italian ship.   Italy is a third world country now is it?   There's ignorance for you.

Saying nowt,   Evil or Very Mad   I'll just be accused of being a part of a posse.  Rolling Eyes

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:

Fair point. Maybe I should have limited myself to the US. Y'all had one go down, too, didn't you?

Part of my point was in the way the officers and crew behaved in the aftermath. I understand the Master of the So. Korean ferry now has an arrest warrant out for him.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Sassy wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Indeed, that's part of my message.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Sassy wrote:

You think cyber-gangs are a joke? They are an infection.

But you??? Oh, never you! Lol.  Rolling Eyes 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Fair point.  Maybe I should have limited myself to the US.  Y'all had one go down, too, didn't you?

Part of my point was in the way the officers and crew behaved in the aftermath.  I understand the Master of the So. Korean ferry now has an arrest warrant out for him.

So the control of ships and Aircraft should  be limited to only  US command ?  Shocked
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

You think cyber-gangs are a joke?  They are an infection.  

But you???  Oh, never you!  Lol.   Rolling Eyes 

Oh ! the irony. Sorry but  ::smthg::
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Fair point.  Maybe I should have limited myself to the US.  Y'all had one go down, too, didn't you?

Part of my point was in the way the officers and crew behaved in the aftermath.  I understand the Master of the So. Korean ferry now has an arrest warrant out for him.

So the control of ships and Aircraft should  be limited to only  US command ?  Shocked

Haha...that's not a bad idea, now that you mentioned it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Well maybe not Stephen. The MV George Prince ferry disaster of 1976 on the Mississippi left 76 poor souls dead due to the fault of the George Price and the pilot on board the SS Frosta.

http://monumentalbook.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-forgotten-tragedy-of-october-20.html
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Haha...that's not a bad idea, now that you mentioned it.

::dedhrs:: 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down