NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional

3 posters

Go down

Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional Empty Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:31 am

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/04/15/3426672/ted-yoho-civil-rights-act/

GAINESVILLE, Florida — Last week, former presidents and dignitaries celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act, which bans many forms of employment discrimination and whites-only lunch counters, among other things. This week, a Republican congressman declared that he’s not sure if the Civil Rights Act is even constitutional.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL), a freshman congressman aligned with the Tea Party, held a town hall Monday evening in Gainesville where he fielded a wide range of questions from constituents. One such voter was Melvin Flournoy, a 57-year-old African American from Gainesville, who asked Yoho whether he believes the Civil Rights Act is constitutional.

The easy answer in this case — “yes” — has the benefit of also being correct. But Yoho found the question surprisingly difficult.

“Is it constitutional, the Civil Rights Act?” Yoho repeated before giving his reply: “I wish I could answer that 100 percent.” The Florida Republican then went on to strongly imply it may be unconstitutional: “I know a lot of things that were passed are not constitutional, but I know it’s the law of the land.”

FLOURNOY: Do you think that any part of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 [sic], do you think any part of that is constitutional? And then if you’d discuss why. [...]

YOHO: This country grew through a lot of growing pain. We’re going through it again. As we grow as a country and prosper, we’re going to go through it again in the future. That’s why I’m so thankful for the Constitution because it allows us to do that. Is it constitutional, the Civil Rights Act? I wish I could answer that 100 percent. I know a lot of things that were passed are not constitutional, but I know it’s the law of the land.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional Empty Re: Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 am

Dear Rep. Yoho: Even Rand Fucking Paul backed off this crazy stance, and has become one of the most tolerant members of the Republican Party. By the way, he's got a chance at being the next POTUS. You might want to think about that.

Love,

Fuck You
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional Empty Re: Congressman Tells Black Constituent He’s Not Sure The Civil Rights Act Is Constitutional

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 am

In fact, I've become somewhat of a fan of Rand Paul, despite his many shortcomings. For one thing, he assures the Latino community that there's no way the U.S. could possibly deport our millions of illegal Latin American immigrants, something I've been saying for a long time now.

And now he goes and says something like this:

I rise today in opposition to corporate welfare. At a time when our country is borrowing over a trillion dollars a year, I think it makes no sense to loan money back to countries we are borrowing from. For example, we borrowed $29 billion from Mexico, and yet we're sending them back $8 billion of the money we borrow from them to subsidize trade.

A lot of the subsidized trade goes to very wealthy corporations. You know, when 12 million people are out of work in the United States, does it make sense for the U.S. taxpayer to subsidize loans of major multinational corporations?

The President's big on saying "Well, these rich companies need to pay their fair share." Well, why then is the President sending loans out to these very wealthy corporations and he's actually giving them their fair share of our taxpayer money? Why is that occurring?

I have often asked the question, is government inherently stupid? Well, I don't think government is inherently stupid, but it's a debatable question, but what government is government doesn't get the same signals that your local bank gets.

Just goes to show how much we non-ninny liberals and the libertarian set have in common. We might disagree on welfare benefits and the environment, though Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Dear Rep. Yoho: Even Rand Fucking Paul backed off this crazy stance, and has become one of the most tolerant members of the Republican Party. By the way, he's got a chance at being the next POTUS. You might want to think about that.

Love,

Fuck You

Not a chance, Ben.  The Tea-party right as well as the Christian right will oppose him vehemently.  Maybe a Jeb Bush or a John Kasich will attract the middle, but if not, they are done.  2010 may have been a critical election (google it).  The tea-party right is not that far off of the white supremacists...they look upon the middle and other centrists as enemies, the same as Democrats.  If you exile the middle of the  Republican Party, you either get a third-party (which will water down the Republican Party the same) or a huge bulge in the Democratic Party.

I don't think any Republican has a chance.  The Republican Party has become a retail-politics party.  At the local level, and the state level the Republicans can continue with their voter-suppression efforts and thereby keep themselves competitive.  But not at the federal level.

For a half-century they will probably continue with success in the House, and at the state/local level, where so much is dependent on neighborhood economics.  If they can continue to gerrymander skillfully, they will maneuver themselves into the local- level offices.

But they can never gain the presidency.  And, the Democratic presidency means that the Supreme Court will eventually turn Democrat.  The Senate may be up in play, as smaller states can be manipulated like local politics.  Look at Wyoming and Alaska.  But I think most Senators see themselves as federal employees, not state level.  They have got to begin to listen to the national, and not the local music.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down