NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More

4 posters

Go down

Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More Empty Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Go ahead and contemplate your own mortality. How does it feel? Would you be surprised to learn that it can potentially improve your mental health to think about your death more often?

The Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy once pondered if there was any meaning in life that an awareness of death didn’t undo or destroy. On the surface, this is undoubtedly true; everything and everyone we value, everything we cherish, could just vanish at any moment. As Sheldon Solomon, psychology professor at Skidmore College in New York, said, an awareness of our own death is potentially extremely distressing because it renders you aware that you are, ultimately, no more significant than food sources and animals, or as he put it: “lizards and potatoes”.

It is also impossible to truly know what it is like to die. So here we are, as humans, in this predicament: we have this desire to live, but we ultimately know we will die, and we don’t even know what it is like to experience what can often cause a high level of distress. The unknown is perhaps the scariest thing about it.

But there is another side to this. James Pennebaker, a psychology professor at the University of Texas, has conducted studies in which people wrote about deeply emotional – and hence often distressing – topics over the course of weeks or months. His work generally found that these writing exercises increased mental, and even physical, health. Of course, as he has noted, people often struggle with writing but nearly all of them reported that the experience was worthwhile and meaningful.

http://www.livescience.com/44795-thinking-about-death-can-make-you-value-life-more.html

Interesting article which am sure many have all thought about this at one point whether you are religious or not, to me though of the people more at ease with facing the fact we are at some point going to die to me is more atheists. I myself have thought about death on occasion and long ago accepted my time is limited and am at ease with life. When I was religious it was the opposite though, I was not at ease and see this with others of faith and not knocking faith here, as faith can also provide the greatest strength to also face the fact we will die, but with faith there is another step, an after life, of which many worry where they will end up. I think this gives atheists who accept death, the edge as they do not worry about anything after knowing like to me that is it at the end, you accept you have a limited time and enjoy it to the full. I think this is why to me many atheists have been through and pondered this view until they realized life is finite. Others will disagree, but to me within faith and believe me I once really believed without question growing up, I was never at ease with the thought of death, yet now I am.  

What do others think?

Back to top Go down

Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More Empty Re: Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 pm

i would have thought it could do the exact opposite and cause depression and sickness..

Back to top Go down

Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More Empty Re: Thinking About Death Can Make You Value Life More

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:11 pm

So would many I guess, but clearly it seems to help

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 pm

I think that the lack of contemplation of death messes with the heads of a lot of people who are deeply religious, actually. I personally know someone who is so convinced that she's going to live forever in heaven, she doesn't bother getting around to doing anything with her actual life, the only one she really knows she has.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Your quite right, but It can have the opposite effect for some other people though, who don't necessarily want to die , but feel like living is just too much and are 'comforted' by the thought of death, but in general, I believe your quite right.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 pm

It makes you appreciate your life NOW. That's what contemplating your own death does.
I think about it often, I think you do when you have children.
I always live for the now, and I've learned it's much better to not worry as most of the stuff we worry about never actually happens.

Life is too short. It's a big old cliche but it carries a big meaning.
No point in wasting a second.

Religion and atheism doesn't even come into it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 pm

eddie wrote:It makes you appreciate your life NOW. That's what contemplating  your own death does.
I always live for the now, and I've learned  it's much better to not worry as most of the stuff we worry about never actually happens.

Sorry Disgaree Eddie, religion and atheism do come into it, being the fact as I stated before whilst being religious it played upon my mind, where now it does not, so to me atheism played a big part in me realising my existence is mortal and why I enjoy it to the full

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:It makes you appreciate your life NOW. That's what contemplating  your own death does.
I always live for the now, and I've learned  it's much better to not worry as most of the stuff we worry about never actually happens.

Sorry Disgaree Eddie, religion and atheism do come into it, being the fact as I stated before whilst being religious it played upon my mind, where now it does not, so to me atheism played a big part in me realising my existence is mortal and why I enjoy it to the full

Ok for you then. But as a general rule of thumb, I'm not sure it matters. If you think about your own death it makes you value life. God doesn't come into it for me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I agree with your first sentence Eds  Smile 

I think however Ben hits a good point about some of the deeply religious. The problem from a religious standpoint is doubt. They are taught that when they die their immortal soul goes to a 'better place'. This can have the effect of making this life seem trivial; or any sense of doubt can leave them conflicted.

Of course I don't for a moment think this is something that really troubles most people, religious or otherwise. But I do believe that atheism can give you a greater appreciation of this life, as it is the only one you get, that's how it makes me feel anyway  ::D:: 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Ok for you then. But as a general rule of thumb, I'm not sure it matters. If you think about your own death it makes you value life. God doesn't come into it for me.

Exactly, God does not come into it for me, hence atheism brought me inner peace, with the realisation when the end comes that is it, I have accepted that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 pm

@les and didge - a answering both your points thereby killing you both with the same stone as it were  Razz 

I'm not sure I buy everlasting life hereafter so that's why God doesn't particularly come into it for me personally.

Not sure if I am into reincarnation or not? Flirted with the idea and read alot in my teens, and it's still something I consider.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 pm

eddie wrote:@les and didge - a answering both your points thereby killing you both with the same stone as it were  Razz 

I'm not sure I buy everlasting life hereafter so that's why God doesn't particularly come into it for me personally.

Not sure if I am into reincarnation or not? Flirted with the idea and read alot in my teens, and it's still something I consider.

That is cool with your view point Eddie on your reasons why for you, but you point more to the atheist view point which is what Eizel and I were saying

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I don't think it makes you value your life any more than not thinking about it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:@les and didge - a answering both your points thereby killing you both with the same stone as it were  Razz 

That is cool with your view point Eddie on your reasons why for you, but you point more to the atheist view point which is what Eizel and I were saying

x

Don't you use the A word with me young didgie  ::pnchy:: 

(It still looks like that girl is wanking the guy off in that emoticon??)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't think it makes you value your life any more than not thinking about it.

Be interested to know why you feel that way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I have often thought that the chances of there being an afterlife are far more remote than their being a God so I agree the two can be taken separately.

No way reincarnation though- I think sassy's idea of us being energy that returns to the flow of the universe when we die has a lot to be said for it though and does sort of incorporate some reincarnation ideas- just not in the literal sense.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I would think that many Buddhists worry about this life because their goal is not to be reincarnated.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

x

Arsenal?

Yeah but it also looks like he cannot get it up, or has shot himself in the eye......   :ashmmmas:

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

x

Haha, interesting Eds, what is it about the word atheist that puts you off? I ask out of interest because I remember discussing the subject of religion and gods with my mum once and she got defensive saying 'I'm not an atheist'; as though to be described as such were to accept some objectionable slur (in the 21st Century too!) haha
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:

Arsenal?

Yeah but it also looks like he cannot get it up, or has shot himself in the eye......   :ashmmmas:

Hahahah he's come in his own eye lol
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

Haha, interesting Eds, what is it about the word atheist that puts you off? I ask out of interest because I remember discussing the subject of religion and gods with my mum once and she got defensive saying 'I'm not an atheist'; as though to be described as such were to accept some objectionable slur (in the 21st Century too!) haha

Don't know les. Interesting that it made me flinch a little! Hmmmmm.
I think it's because I really truly just can't help but believe in "God"

I just do. Like I know my love for my children. It's just there, in my heart, and I know it.
Can't explain it any more than that really.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I just do. Like I know my love for my children. It's just there, in my heart, and I know it.

That's fair enough. I think it's amazing though that people do actually find the term atheist to have any kind of bad connotations in 21st Century England- I know there are still some problems with this is the US.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

That's fair enough. I think it's amazing though that people do actually find the term atheist to have any kind of bad connotations in 21st Century England- I know there are still some problems with this is the US.

Well I've been called worse things in my time.  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down