NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted

Go down

Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted Empty Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

2nd April 2014

A married couple claim they were victimised at work due to their religious beliefs after being refused holidays during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Donna Tunkara, 32, and husband Yassin, 31, say they suffered discrimination, harrassment, victimisation and constructive dismissal after bosses at the Portrack Lane warehouse in Stockton-on-Tees of supermarket giant Morrisons turned down holiday requests in 2012.

A tribunal held at Teesside Magistrates’ Court yesterday heard evidence from Mrs Tunkara, who says her holiday request for the last 10 days of fasting during Ramadan was turned down unfairly.

She added that the stress of working night shifts caused her to suffer a breakdown and be admitted to hospital.

Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted Articl48

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2595159/Muslim-couple-claim-victimised-Morrisons-refused-holiday-Ramadan.html#ixzz2xkJL5wY0

Back to top Go down

Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted Empty Re: Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

I bet they still took Christmas off though.

Cake --> eat it

Back to top Go down

Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted Empty Re: Muslim Couple Claim They Were Victimised Because They Couldn't Take Time Off Work When They Wanted

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Tesstacious wrote:I bet they still took Christmas off though.

Cake --> eat it

Christmas is a public holiday Tess....DOH, how are they supposed to work on Christmas day when Morrisons is shut?

Having read the story it seems though they maybe pulling a fast one, if there is a notice period to request holidays, so I really do not buy her story

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Didge wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:I bet they still took Christmas off though.

Cake --> eat it

Christmas is a public holiday Tess....DOH, how are they supposed to work on Christmas day when Morrisons is shut?

Having read the story it seems though they maybe pulling a fast one, if there is a notice period to request holidays, so I really do not buy her story
Do they still close on Christmas day in the UK? I am surprised. But Didge the Christmas holiday covers two weeks. If they were genuine they could have asked for an arrangement where they'd work over the Christmas holiday in exchange for time off at Ramadan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 pm

How on earth can she not know when Ramadan is until provided with dates by the Mosque? I mean One quick google search and I know when it starts in 2015

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/ramadan-begins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Didge wrote:

Do they still close on Christmas day in the UK? I am surprised. But Didge the Christmas holiday covers two weeks.  If they were genuine they could have asked for an arrangement where they'd work over the Christmas holiday in exchange for time off at Ramadan.

Tess as Sphinx has pointed out there is holes in her story and in the link itself, my wonder is why the Mail printed this out of countless tribunal cases.
To be honest it is not a story I find where the couple have been discriminated, but like the majority of tribunal cases unlikely to win, that is what interests me more here why such a non story has made the Mail again, when again there are countless tribunal claims.

What grabs attention though to readers, the word Muslim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 pm

sphinx wrote:How on earth can she not know when Ramadan is until provided with dates by the Mosque?  I mean One quick google search and I know when it starts in 2015

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/ramadan-begins

An agreement in France to set the start of Ramadan according to scientific calculations fell apart on Tuesday when many mosques opted to wait as the new moon was not yet visible to the naked eye here or in the Middle East.

The Islamic lunar calendar is 10 to 11 days shorter than the solar Gregorian one developed in Europe, so the Muslim holy month starts a week and a half earlier each year, when a new crescent moon is seen.

As that can happen on different nights in different parts of the world, Muslim leaders in France agreed in May to break with tradition and use scientific methods to determine when the new moon appears, setting Tuesday as the first day of Ramadan.

But Muslim groups in northern Paris suburbs and the city of Lyon said on Monday they would wait until Wednesday to start fasting after they failed to sight the new moon by traditional direct observation and Saudi, Egyptian and North African Islamic authorities reported the same problem.

The Paris Grand Mosque, which had planned to start Ramadan on Tuesday, as determined by the astronomers, switched to Wednesday after those Muslim countries and several French Muslim groups announced they would start the dawn-to-dusk fasting that day.

Other Muslim groups stuck to the agreement to start Ramadan on Tuesday, causing confusion among France’s 5 million Muslims.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2013/07/09/french-Muslims-split-over-start-of-ramadan-despite-prior-accord-on-date/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down