NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records

2 posters

Go down

Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records Empty Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:34 am

President Barack Obama plans to ask Congress to end the bulk collection and storage of phone records by the National Security Agency but allow the government to access the "metadata" when needed, a senior administration official said on Monday.

If Congress approves, the Obama administration would stop collecting the information, known as metadata, which lists millions of phone calls made in the United States. The practice triggered a national debate over privacy rights when the extent of the surveillance program was exposed last year by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

Instead, the government would have to get permission from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to review data about the time and duration of telephone calls that it believes may be connected to terror attacks, according to the New York Times, which first reported the plan.

Obama, who on Monday met with world leaders in The Hague, has been grappling with a backlash to U.S. government surveillance programs since classified details about the extent of data-gathering were first leaked by Snowden.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/25/us-usa-security-obama-nsa-idUSBREA2O03O20140325

I want to believe ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records Empty Re: Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records

Post by groomsy Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 am

repubs will blame that he started it
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records Empty Re: Obama to ask Congress for bill discontinuing NSA collection of phone records

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:06 am

In a sense he did.   Didn't a court rule it was legal for the National Security Agency to collect the records in 2013??   I am pretty sure they did cause all the lefties we overwhelmed with joy when that ruling was handed down. Now look, he wants to discontinue doing so, after he already acquired the records. Another Obama, I care about the people bullshit story and all his little merry lefties now support this. Got to say, "Those people on the left run a mean circle, no wonder they're dizzy half the time."

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Hotwired wrote:

In a sense he did.   Didn't a court rule it was legal for the National Security Agency to collect the records in 2013??   I am pretty sure they did cause all the lefties we overwhelmed with joy when that ruling was handed down. Now look, he wants to discontinue doing so, after he already acquired the records. Another Obama, I care about the people bullshit story and all his little merry lefties now support this. Got to say, "Those people on the left run a mean circle, no wonder they're dizzy half the time."

thats true but this has been happening since the phone has been invented, but the repubs will focus this on all democrats that come in the future
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Hotwired wrote:

I've hated it ever since the program came to light during the Bush era and I didn't stop when Obama came into office. It's about more than cheering for a logo or a slogan, it's about principles, and when Democrats violate those principles I'm just as upset as when Republicans do -- if not more, because I expect Republicans to act like human trash.

Still, it was going on well before Obama was in office and he's actually doing something about that -- that counts for something.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down