NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Empty Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families
The mass removal of Indigenous children from their parents continues unabated – where is the outrage?

The tape is searing. There is the voice of an infant screaming as he is wrenched from his mother, who pleads, "There is nothing wrong with my baby. Why are you doing this to us? I would've been hung years ago, wouldn't I? Because [as an Aboriginal Australian] you're guilty before you're found innocent." The child's grandmother demands to know why "the stealing of our kids is happening all over again". A welfare official says, "I'm gunna take him, mate."

This happened to an Aboriginal family in outback New South Wales. It is happening across Australia in a scandalous and largely unrecognised abuse of human rights that evokes the infamous stolen generation of the last century. Up to the 1970s, thousands of mixed-race children were stolen from their mothers by welfare officials. The children were given to institutions as cheap or slave labour; many were abused.

Described by a chief protector of Aborigines as "breeding out the colour", the policy was known as assimilation. It was influenced by the same eugenics movement that inspired the Nazis. In 1997 a landmark report, Bringing Them Home, disclosed that as many 50,000 children and their mothers had endured "the humiliation, the degradation and sheer brutality of the act of forced separation ... the product of the deliberate, calculated policies of the state". The report called this genocide.

Assimilation remains Australian government policy in all but name. Euphemisms such as "reconciliation" and "Stronger Futures" cover similar social engineering and an enduring, insidious racism in the political elite, the bureaucracy and wider Australian society. When in 2008 prime minister Kevin Rudd apologised for the stolen generation, he added: "I want to be blunt about this. There will be no compensation." The Sydney Morning Herald congratulated Rudd on a "shrewd manoeuvre" that "cleared away a piece of political wreckage in a way that responds to some of its own supporters' emotional needs, yet changes nothing".

Today, the theft of Aboriginal children – including babies taken from the birth table – is now more widespread than at any time during the last century. As of June last year, almost 14,000 Aboriginal children had been "removed". This is five times the number when Bringing Them Home was written. More than a third of all removed children are Aboriginal – from 3% of the population. At the present rate, this mass removal of Aboriginal children will result in a stolen generation of more than 3,300 children in the Northern Territory alone.

Pat (not her real name) is the mother whose anguish was secretly recorded on a phone as four department of child services officials, and six police, descended on her home. On the tape an official claims they have come only for an "assessment". But two of the police officers, who knew Pat, told her they saw no risk to her child and warned her to "get out of here quick". Pat fled, cradling her infant, but the one-year-old was eventually seized without her knowing why. The next morning a police officer returned to apologise to her and said her baby should never have been taken away. Pat has no idea where her son is.

Once she was "invited" by officials to bring her children to "neutral" offices to discuss a "care plan". The doors were locked and officials seized the children, with one of the youngest dragging on a police officer's gun belt. Many Indigenous mothers are unaware of their legal rights. A secretive children's court has become notorious for rubber-stamping removals.

Most Aboriginal families live on the edge. Their life expectancy in towns a short flight from Sydney is as low as 37. Dickensian diseases are rife; Australia is the only developed country not to have eradicated trachoma, which blinds Aboriginal children.

Pat has both complied with and struggled bravely against a punitive bureaucracy that can remove children on hearsay. She has twice been acquitted of false charges, including "kidnapping" her own children. A psychologist has described her as a capable and good mother.

Josie Crawshaw, the former director of a respected families' support organisation in Darwin, told me: "In remote areas, officials will go in with a plane in the early hours and fly the child thousands of kilometres from their community. There'll be no explanation, no support, and the child may be gone forever."

In 2012 the co-ordinator general of remote services for the Northern Territory, Olga Havnen, was sacked when she revealed that almost A$80m (£44m) was spent on the surveillance and removal of Aboriginal children compared with only A$500,000 (£275,000) on supporting the same impoverished families. She told me: "The primary reasons for removing children are welfare issues directly related to poverty and inequality. The impact is just horrendous because if they are not reunited within six months, it's likely they won't see each other again. If South Africa was doing this, there'd be an international outcry."

She and others with long experience I have interviewed have echoed the Bringing them Home report, which described an official "attitude" in Australia that regarded all Aboriginal people as "morally deficient". A department of family and community services spokesman said that most removed Indigenous children in New South Wales were placed with Indigenous carers. According to Indigenous support networks, this is a smokescreen; it does not mean families, and it is control by divisiveness that is the bureaucracy's real achievement.

I met a group of Aboriginal grandmothers, all survivors of the first stolen generation, all now with stolen grandchildren. "We live in a state of fear, again," they said. David Shoebridge, a state Greens MP, told me: "The truth is, there is a market among whites for these kids, especially babies."

The New South Wales parliament is soon to debate legislation that introduces forced adoption and "guardianship". Children under two years old will be liable – without the mother's consent – if "removed" for more than six months. For many Aboriginal mothers like Pat, it can take six months merely to make contact with their children. "It's setting up Aboriginal families to fail," said Shoebridge.

I asked Josie Crawshaw why. "The wilful ignorance in Australia about its first people has now become the kind of intolerance that gets to the point where you can smash an entire group of humanity and there is no fuss."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/21/john-pilger-indigenous-australian-families

Bee will tell you this doesn't happen. The evidence will tell you it does.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Empty Re: Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 am

Yes Bee, we know, you can say anything you like about any other country, but dare to bring up the rotten apple festering in Australia and you come out with the above demented screams, unable to face the facts.

In 2012 the co-ordinator general of remote services for the Northern Territory, Olga Havnen, was sacked when she revealed that almost A$80m (£44m) was spent on the surveillance and removal of Aboriginal children compared with only A$500,000 (£275,000) on supporting the same impoverished families. She told me: "The primary reasons for removing children are welfare issues directly related to poverty and inequality. The impact is just horrendous because if they are not reunited within six months, it's likely they won't see each other again. If South Africa was doing this, there'd be an international outcry."

I think she is likely to know a bloody sight more about it than you do.

Back to top Go down

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Empty Re: Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Olga Havnen lashes NT government after ditching of Coordinator General for Remote Services

THE Northern Territory government has abolished the office of the Coordinator General for Remote Services, prompting an extraordinary outburst from its outgoing head.

Olga Havnen issued an explosive press release late this afternoon following the abolition of her office, claiming successive Territory governments had used indigenous funding to pay for luxury public infrastructure in Darwin such as wave pools.

The NT's minister for Aboriginal advancement, Alison Anderson, abolished Ms Havnen's office today following a critical report which questioned the work undertaken by Ms Havnen in her capacity as Remote Services Coordinator General.

Ms Havnen today accused the NT government of getting rid of one of the Territory's few bodies tasked with independent scrutiny.

"Without any formal response to the (my) first report into government expenditure, programs and service delivery the NT government has decided they can dispense with one of the few positions which provides any independent advice on the performance of the public service in relation to its effectiveness in delivering on government commitments," Ms Havnen said in the press release.

Territory governments had "for decades allocated funds desperately needed for remote services and directed them instead to luxury items of public infrastructure such as water parks, wave pools and international standard sporting facilities for every code," she said.

"At the same time these governments have created jobs for people living in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs to provide services for remote communities yet at the same time we are told there are no labour markets in bush communities!"

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/olga-havnen-lashes-nt-government-after-ditching-of-coordinator-general-for-remote-services/story-fn59niix-1226490923382#

Now I suggest you go and find that bucket of sand and stick your head back in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Sassy really like Australians, hates the way the aboriginals have been treated, same as I hate the way the original peoples have been treated in America and Canada.

Actually, same as the way Britain treated people in their own countries for years.

Same as the way Israel treats Palestinians.

Same as in S. Africa.

Sassy hates injustice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Cool 

SASSY hates Australia with a passion !

ONLY Sassy knows why..

::dunno:: 

I'm guessing Sassy likes Australia.

I'm guessing Sassy posts these threads because of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:33 pm

No BA, I post them because I am interested in what happens to people all over the world.

Bee doesn't seem to think that anything in Australia should ever be questioned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Sassy wrote:No BA, I post them because I am interested in what happens to people all over the world.

Bee doesn't seem to think that anything in Australia should ever be questioned.

Come now Sassy.

It's ok - I'm with you - I too think he's a complete pervert.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Do you know something I don't?   He's odd, I'll give you that, but I don't think he is a pervert, why do you say that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Sassy wrote:Do you know something I don't?   He's odd, I'll give you that, but I don't think he is a pervert, why do you say that?

None of your business.

He knows it and so do I, that'll do me nicely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:49 pm

OK  Suspect  Not sure that I believe you.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 pm

The Article is crap, Why?
Because it says western NSW close to Sydney (a few hours flight, umm IF THERE WERE RUN WAYS!!!) and then all the Quotes are from Northern Territory which is a shit heap because you have aboriginals still wandering around the desert where white people cannot survive Why would a doctor go a live somewhere they will be paid less and cannot go outside for most of the day? And It is a completely different jurisdiction with different laws. PLUS they are not even the same people (only the most ignorant commentators would suggest that an aboriginal from western NSW is the same as a NT aboriginal)

Also It points out things like we cant eradicate some diseases because some aboriginal mothers are little better than cave women (realistically Aboriginals were cave peoples only a few generations ago) and doesn't take her baby to the doctor. what are Aussies to do? if we don't take the kids they die, if we take the kids then ignorant people whine.

And again ALL The complaints come from the outback where if we left them alone the death rate would be much higher (like it always has been for Aboriginals their life expectancy is and has always been in line with a cave people with almost no medical technology). and the point is 90+% of Aussies live in 20% that is coastal land so taking examples from the interior is stupid it is the wild west out there, public services are a bare minimum, large section barely even have a police presence.

So Sassy should we leave the kids to die from lack of medical facilities and lack of Parental skills? (what the article fails to point out is that almost all the case where the child is taken the parents are alcoholics or drug addicts. and in some case it is also because they are shacking up with an aboriginal bloke that is registered as a threat to children (in some tribes raping you teen girls is seen as traditional coming of age ceremony, obviously the law disagrees)

that whole article never once points out the HUGE difficulties in doing anything in the areas they live and it make it sound like areas that are more than the entire size of the UK apart (with nothing but desert in between) are the same.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 pm

welcome to the world of "damned if you do, damned if you dont"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 am

It doesn't say Western NSW is close the Sydney.   It says:

Their life expectancy in towns a short flight from Sydney is as low as 37.   The sentence doesn't mention Western NSW, that was in a different paragraph.

Are you telling me that Australia cannot build decent homes and facilities with air conditioning in these places, after all, the country was theirs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 am

As Olga Havnen said:

Territory governments had "for decades allocated funds desperately needed for remote services and directed them instead to luxury items of public infrastructure such as water parks, wave pools and international standard sporting facilities for every code," she said.

"At the same time these governments have created jobs for people living in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs to provide services for remote communities yet at the same time we are told there are no labour markets in bush communities!"

So it's possible to build stuff for people in remote communities, just not aboriginal remote communities

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 am

Australia Day: Indigenous people are told to 'get over it'. It's impossible
When Aboriginal people boycott celebrations, we are told to move on. It's like the breathtaking legacy of disadvantage we have to endure did not exist

Every year, Australia tries to wash away its hidden history with displays of overt nationalism. On 26 January, Australians plant their union jacks in parks and beaches across the country, or on the faces of small children who are taught nothing about what the symbol means to those people this nation believed it conquered. For the majority of them, there has only been one name for the date: Australia day.

But for the First Peoples, there have been several. Survival day, invasion day, sovereignty day – each word loaded with the pain of 200 years of dispossession that has left Aboriginal people impoverished but, against the odds, remarkably strong.

My preferred name for 26 January, however, was one of its earliest – the day of mourning. On this day, First Nations peoples mourn the loss of land, of their children, of their wages, of their remains. They mourn the loss of control over their own future. Australians may want us to "get over it", to stop being so "sensitive". But then, why do we still set aside a day of remembrance on ANZAC day to commemorate those who risked their lives at war? And why don’t we acknowledge the brave Aboriginal fighters who sacrificed everything in the frontier wars?

A couple of years ago, I visited a site of extreme significance to my nation – the Darumbal people, whose homeland takes in Rockhampton in Central Queensland. About a 30 minute drive from the town, there is a mountain which was for decades known as Mt Wheeler; coincidentally the same name as the man, sir Frederick Wheeler, who in the 19th century chased a mob of Darumbal people up to the top and herded them off like sheep.

As I gazed up at that sheer cliff face, I imagined the pleading faces of a people who would never get justice for those crimes, although the evidence of their spilled blood is passed down by stories and even in official documents at the time. Today, that site is unmarked. Scattered rubbish left by campers litter its base. The Darumbal people renamed this sacred initiation site – Gawula. Australians are blind to the crimes that occurred there and yet, it's one massacre site amongst thousands across Australia. Do you know the ground you walk on? Would we treat the massacre site of any other people this way? Would we forget so easily?

This month, veteran journalist John Pilger released his new film Utopia in Australia. What he uncovers is an ignored truth. Despite the magnificent wealth of this country, its First Peoples have inherited a legacy of disadvantage that has compounded since the very first days of invasion. It’s compounded by government neglect and apathy, by watered down promises replacing land rights with “reconciliation” and the failure to recognise the ability of Aboriginal people to control their own lives, to grant them true self-determination.

Australia is locking up Aboriginal people at horrific rates, and yet still cutting funding to Aboriginal legal aid services. It lets its media off for demonising Aboriginal people, and even gives them a Logie for it. It shamefully allows the 10-year extension of one of the most racist policies in Australia’s history – the Northern Territory intervention – and claims its for "their" own good. It will not have any evidence of the frontier wars in the Australian War Memorial, but is content to represent them as gargoyles alongside wildlife on the walls of the national monument.

This shameful history is laid bare in Utopia, but the film also showcases the strength and resilience of Aboriginal people. One of my favourite quotes from Utopia is made by Anmatyerr elder Rosalie Kunoth Monks:

What amazes me is there is not that hatred, because that’s beneath our dignity to hate people. We have not got that… but us old people have to start thinking about righting the wrong, the awful wrong that continues to happen to us an ours.

That’s what we are fighting for.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/27/australia-day-indigenous-people-are-told-to-get-over-it-its-impossible

That piece was written by Amy McQuire who is a Darumbal and South sea islander journalist from Rockhampton in Central Queensland. She is currently editor of the largest circulating Aboriginal magazine - Tracker Magazine. She was a researcher on John Pilger's Utopia documentary

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:40 am

Sassy wrote:It doesn't say Western NSW is close the Sydney.   It says:

Their life expectancy in towns a short flight from Sydney is as low as 37.   The sentence doesn't mention Western NSW, that was in a different paragraph.

Are you telling me that Australia cannot build decent homes and facilities with air conditioning in these places, after all, the country was theirs?

So it is just some make believe town is it? why don't they name it, because we'd be able to look it up and see it has a population of about 50 people. (like most places in Western NSW which a few hours flight from Sydney but there is no flights going there)

YES we cannot build decent homes out there (no water).  And they(the tribes in question) still have their land that is why they have issues! the ones that live where we have taken the land are all right as they now have access to our modern medical equipment and are adapting to modern society not to say it is with out issue but we can watch and work with them. too many times in these remote locations Child protection has got there too late to save the child.

And you know Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs are VERY remote areas remoter than any place humans live in Europe. and this twit is whining because we cant build in other areas that make all of those place count as major settlements. Literally she is saying my haven't you built a hospital in a location with a population density of about 1 per 10 square kms. Why because that is in NO way feasible.

And Aboriginals should shut up about Australia day it doesn't change the fact it is the Day White people arrived, they can call it an invasion day if they want but considering it was a prison colony and all the guns were pointed at other white people... whatever (sort of just pointing out how weak they were. literally never had soldiers set against them)
I tell them to STFU just like a tell big andy to STFU regarding immigrants that's life get over it, by now 200 years on they would already be losing the coastal lands to the Maori anyway if Europeans had never come to this part of the world. they were incredibly  lucky to have lasted as long as they did, any of the Asian or pacific powers could have taken them over, Isolation was there only defence.

Utopia was the biggest piece of Rubbish I have ever seen, the Guy doesn't even know the basics. 200 years ago, well that the Koori and Burramatta people, none of the desert peoples. and Both those tribes are doing well rapidly improving to meet the minimum educational standards. Most members of those tribes live and work in Sydney like any other Aussie citizen.
Holy Shit the guy is even having a go at the NT intervention policy that ABORIGINALS ELDERS ASKED FOR!!!  You see some aboriginals don't like the fact the so many of their tribe end up drug addicted layabouts so they asked the gov't to intervene to help remove drugs and alcohol from traditional communities. the only Aboriginals whining about it are ones that want to be drunk all day, which are the same one that lose custody of their kids.

The war memorial thing is Stupid there is no war, literally Europeans could just walk over them as they had NO structures not even the most minimal of fences, Most tribes had so little idea of war they had never invented SHIELDS, they lack stone blades were still using pointy sticks as the primary weapon. you literally have them being pushed out of areas but Convicts that are being whipped and forced to do hard labour all day. It is not like the Americas were you do have large set battles. the most famous and larger Massacre was 36 aboriginals (who had raped and murdered the women and babies of a farmstead, so the farmers got revenge)

the very largest massacre 40 to 100 were killed....  by police...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_Creek_massacre
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:14 am

@Lone Wolf
to be fair it is actually the racist prat that made utopia that is the problem.
he only presents one side of the story and makes it out that all aboriginal are sin less bush fairies. Completely ignoring the massive issues of drugs and alcohol that have broken many of their communities and they fact that MANY of their traditional practices are illegal now for very good reasons, like they constitute the raping children etc.

You can tell sassy is misinformed because she has points that jump all over the place, one minute talking about Western NSW and somewhere near Sydney (capital of NSW) then Rockhampton 1500km (in Queensland) away then NT (different 'state' altogether although technically it is not a state as there is not enough people for it to be recognised as one even though it alone is over 5 times the size of the UK) and Darwin (NT capital about 130,000 people) and Alice Springs (26,000 people 2nd most populous settlement in NT) all of these places are as far a part from each other as the distance from the top to the bottom of the UK.
As soon as someone talks about Aboriginals in the NT they have no clue as Aboriginals in the NT have pretty much been left alone, sure we have tried to get them to stop raping preteens but no one has ever forced one of them to work, get a job, pay tax but they still get about $26K a year, literally for just existing, from the taxpayer.

UK = 243,610 km² total pop. 63,300,000 people
NT = 1,349,129 km² total pop. 233,300 people
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:48 am

But the aboriginals aren't the ones doing the digging and the royalties are only theirs if the land is still theirs (i.e we didn't take it off them)

It is a point of semantics, either way taxpayer/voters have ensured they are getting $26K each minimum a year.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:57 am

For Sassy Benefit regarding houses

these are the houses Anglos Build when they live there to cope with the extreme conditions

Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Underground_home_entrancemdm
Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Pd3318131
Another stolen generation: how Australia still wrecks Aboriginal families Underground_home_1mdm

You may have noticed they are actually built underground to cope with the extreme temps.  Shocked Shocked Shocked  So whacking up a house and putting in an aircon unit is not exactly as easy as it is in Sydney. or you know places that are considered inhabitable.

And those white people are only their because of the Opal Mine. (i.e there is enough profit to cover considerable investment)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 am

I wouldn't dream to speak for the aboriginal people, I'll let one of their own speak for them:

Unlike the overwhelming majority of Aboriginal people, I've been fortunate enough to travel the world, and in the process I've witnessed firsthand the benefits of self-determination for Indigenous peoples.

I've looked at the Sami Parliament in Europe, I've visited reservations in the US and Canada, and I've spent time in Maori communities.

What I found in my travels shames our nation and makes a mockery of our fear of a 'nation within a nation'.

Dozens of treaties have been signed in the US and Canada which afford First Nations communities varying degrees of genuine self-determination, from controlling their own schooling to giving them a real capacity to generate an economic base.

In the United States today, there are more than 250 Native American tribal courts across at least 32 states, which handle everything from criminal matters to family court.

Native American corporations and individuals are exempt from a raft of state and federal taxes, including state income tax for people living on reservations.

Native Americans and First Nations people in Canada also have significant political structures which ensure a greater degree of power in their own communities. In Canada, they have the Assembly of First Nations. In the US, individual reservations act as partially autonomous bodies, providing their own law and policing, schooling, health, housing and infrastructure, and income through tax breaks and initiatives like casinos.

In New Zealand, Maori have seven seats which sit over the entire nation, in which only Maori can vote (although anyone can contest a seat).

This is real self-determination in action, yet none of these nations has imploded or been crippled by their relationships with their Aboriginal peoples. All of them have been enhanced.

Of course, things aren't perfect overseas. Treaties are regularly breached, and the life statistics of Indigenous peoples consistently lag behind those of their non-Indigenous countrymen. But here's what Canada, the US and New Zealand don't have.

They don't have trachoma, a third world disease that has been eradicated in most nations.

They don't have the world's highest recorded rates of rheumatic heart disease, another third world condition linked to overcrowded housing.

They don't have jailing rates of Indigenous people up to eight times greater than the jailing rates of black males in Apartheid South Africa.

They don't have world-beating rates of suicide and self-harm.

They don't have life-expectancy gaps between Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations in the double digits.

And they don't have third world infant mortality rates.

And in particular, they don't have an excess mortality rate even approaching that of Indigenous people in Australia. Research by Australian Dr Gideon Polya reveals that the excess mortality rate of Aboriginal Australians is one of the worst on earth, twice that of the mandatory reporting death rate for live cattle exported on a boat from Australia, and the same rate as a sheep in an Australian paddock. It's actually higher than Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam during their respective wars.

But can we blame all this on a lack of self-determination? Research by Dr Paul Kauffman, another Australian researcher, provides some interesting food for thought. In 2003, he completed a study called 'Diversity and Indigenous Policy Outcomes: Comparisons between Four Nations'.

In Australia, the rate of Indigenous over-representation in prison is 10 times greater than in the US.

Briefly, it compared the progress in Canada, the United States and New Zealand against the appalling state of affairs in Australia. And it looked specifically at what sort of institutions each nation had which could be classed as self-determination in action. The results are startling.

In Australia, the rate of Indigenous over-representation in prison is 10 times greater than in the US.

Australia's Indigenous youth suicide rate is twice that of New Zealand and three times that of the US.

In New Zealand, 85 per cent of Maori have a post-school qualification. In the US the figure is 65 per cent. In Australia, it's fewer than 14 per cent.

To round out the study, Dr Kauffman noted that Canada, the US and New Zealand all have treaties, constitutional recognition and extensive employment diversity programs. Australia does not.

Dr Kaufmann's study may not be conclusive proof that self-determination is the difference, but it's pretty compelling. Either Australian Aboriginal people have a knack for death and destruction, or something else is going on.

That's not to suggest Australia doesn't pretend to support self-determination, because we certainly do when the rest of the world is watching. In 2008, the Australian Government endorsed the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, a document which was crafted specifically to set out the rights of First Peoples to govern their own lives and communities.

Yet virtually every Australian government policy announced since flies in the face of our stated international position. The Northern Territory intervention and its bastard son, the Strong Futures laws, for example, breach almost half the articles of the UN Declaration.

Dr Kauffman's study was completed in 2003, a decade ago, but today my people are further from self-determination than we've ever been.

In the coming weeks, the Abbott Government will unveil its signature Indigenous affairs policy - a hand-picked board of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people who will advise the government on the best ways forward for Indigenous peoples in this country.

It is the precise opposite of self-determination, light years from the only policies that have been shown to impact positively in other nations in a similar position.

It also happens to be a recycled policy that failed under the Howard government. It will fail under the Abbott government too because as history shows, the new National Indigenous Council will spend its time telling the government what it wants to hear, not what it needs to know.

And that's one of the key problems in this country - we don't learn the lessons of our history.

The great lie of 100-plus years of Australian Indigenous Affairs policies has always been that Aboriginal people are so backward that we need to be saved from ourselves.

After socially engineering our communities into world class poverty, governments blamed us for circumstances, and declared themselves the only ones capable of fixing it.

So they took our children away. They forced us from our ancestral lands. They held our wages and savings in trust, and then found better ways to spend the money. We were forced into slavery, denied equal wages and prevented from ever building generational wealth.

That great lie still underpins thinking in Indigenous affairs policy today. So it's time to do something different, and time to acknowledge that the case for self-determination for Aboriginal people in Australia isn't just compelling - it's overwhelming.

Of course, we're not debating HOW it should occur. We're still debating WHETHER it should occur. And most Australians think it shouldn't.

That speaks some volumes not just about our maturity as a nation, but also about our capacity to stare down the racism and paternalism that infects our national character, and the truthfulness of our claimed national identity as 'the land of the fair go'.

The solution, obviously, is for the Australian Government to practice what it preaches, step back and let us make decisions for ourselves. On that front, I can offer you a couple of guarantees.

The life circumstances of Aboriginal people will not improve overnight. There is no silver bullet. Over the course of that journey, there will be corruption and nepotism. There will be wasted funds, political in-fighting, and examples where well-meaning programs cause more harm than good.

Put simply, we will make many of the same mistakes that have been made - and continue to be made every single day - by mainstream Australian political and governance structures.

On occasions, our 'parliament' will be as toxic as yours. On occasions, our leaders will embezzle funds and abuse their travel entitlements, just like yours do. On occasions, our leaders will make bad decisions that favour themselves and their families, just like yours do. On occasions, our communities will erupt into crime and violence, just like yours do.

But I can also guarantee you this: over time, the advances we make will be far greater than those under a system of colonial occupation.

How do I make this guarantee? Because we could hardly do any worse, and because decades of international experience, research and outcomes tell us so.

We are the only first world nation on earth that thinks self-determination is a dirty word, and yet Australians are in the worst position of all to lecture.

The fact is, my people will not simply surrender anymore than you or your children would if Australia was invaded tomorrow. So you can talk till the cows come home about wanting to help Aboriginal Australians, but until the conversation shifts to how non-Aboriginal Australians can stand aside and permit Aboriginal Australians to help themselves, then we're just marking time.

While we wait, many more of my people - people like William Bugmy - will die, having lived tragically short lives marked by violence, dispossession and misery.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-21/bellear-indigenous-sovereignty/5032294

This piece was written by Sol Bellear

Sol Bellear is the long-serving Chairman of the Aboriginal Medical Service, Redfern, and one of its founding members and a long-time Aboriginal activist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

Couldn't agree more Sassy.

Here's another piece:

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM

Signed: ALAKAKA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
Sassy wrote:..............................................................

Dr Kauffman's study was completed in 2003, a decade ago......................

That great lie still underpins thinking in Indigenous affairs policy today...................

Of course, we're not debating HOW it should occur. We're still debating WHETHER it should occur. And most Australians think it shouldn't...........................................................

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-21/bellear-indigenous-sovereignty/5032294

This piece was written by Sol Bellear

Sol Bellear is the long-serving Chairman of the Aboriginal Medical Service, Redfern, and one of its founding members and a long-time Aboriginal activist.

Laughing 

Most Aborigines were mostly shifted out of Redfern 10-15 years ago - into new homes as compensation..

Average house value in Redfern last year was $950,000 AUD !

The Aboriginal families that stated in Redfern are now the landlords of multi-million dollar invesrtments..

TALK ABOUT out-of-date references...   tongue

Gerry Georgatos speaks outside Redfern Police Station – T.J. Hickey rally 2014
by The Stringer
March 1st, 2014

The State Government of New South Wales has again ignored calls to apologise to the family of TJ Hickey despite a loud and angry protest by about 700 friends and supporters.

The protest march to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the death of TJ Hickey was marked once again by his mother, family, friends and supporters calling for justice, a call for rights and a call for an apology for the actions of police which led to TJ’s tragic death in Redfern in 2004.

Courtesy of The National Indigenous Times – by Geoff Bagnall

However, the State Government has remained silent and efforts by TJ’s family to have a plaque erected on the fence where he died continues to be denied them by New South Wales police.

Gail Hickey, whose 17 year old son was impaled on a metal spiked fence while being pursued by police, said the 10 years of denial by the police and successive State Governments, was not the end of her struggle.

One of the centrepieces of the rally was the bike TJ was riding on the day he was impaled. After 10 years it remains in perfect working condition but only Gail Hickey said, because the police had all the damage they did repaired before they would return the bike to her.

“That’s the actual bike,” she said holding it in front of her. “When I went to the police station to pick it up the back wheel was buckled and the chain was broken. When I went back to pick it up at Surry Hills later on, the wheel was put on the bike and the chain was fixed up,” Gail Hickey said.

So the Hickey family remains resolute. It is justice they want and they will fight until they get it.

“I will not stop till I get what I want,” Ms Hickey said. “I want the plaque on the fence, I want a new inquest to be opened and I want an apology. I will not stop till I get those three things,” she said.

Hundreds of supporters from the Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal communities gathered at the fenceline where TJ was mortally wounded to support the Hickey family’s call for justice and to then march on the Redfern Police Station and on to State Parliament.

The rally was met by a massive force of police in what NSW Greens MP, David Shoebridge described as “extraordinary” over-policing.

“Well, I think the over-policing is extraordinary. You only need to look around, we’ve got police horses, we’ve got police bikes, we’ve got a response squad inside the parliament, we’re surrounded by a wall of police so it is an extraordinary response given the size of the rally and the fact that it’s been peaceful for 10 ten years,” Mr Shoebridge said.

“I do think that when you’ve got this rally that is a concern about the police treatment of Aboriginal people that we need to name this and speak about it when it happens.”

“Why do we have such a big police presence here and all through the parliament? I had to work my way through a crowd of police in parliament to get out here to speak with the protest group.”

“The only reason there is such an overwhelming police presence here is because this is a crowd of Aboriginal people asking for their rights, for having the temerity to come out here on the streets and ask for justice.”

“It needs to be named, it needs to be highlighted that you don’t get this level of police oversight unless you’re in the Aboriginal community,” he said.

TJ’s aunty, “Bowie” Hickey told the crowd the Hickey family and the community were being “treated like terrorists” when it was the police who “murdered TJ”.

“The system is treating us like we are the terrorists, especially by the police, by the system, by the judges, by the screws.” she said. “I’m not a racist person but this country is.”

“Enough is enough! We have done nothing wrong, you murdered TJ we didn’t, leave us alone,” Bowie Hickey said.

That charge of “murder” was supported by Rodney Mason who lived on The Block when TJ died. Mr Mason told the rally that he knew from his first aid training and, he said, the police also knew too that you don’t move an impaled person.

“You leave them there until the paramedics arrive. They cut the fence with an angle-grinder and remove it in hospital,” Mr Mason told the rally.

“But the police pulled TJ off the fence and let him bleed to death. They murdered him.”

Human rights researcher and National Indigenous Times reporter, Gerry Georgatos was asked by the organisers to fly from Perth to address the rally, an invitation he could not refuse.

Mr Georgatos told the rally he had spent 30 years fighting racism and it was worse now than in all that time.

“As I made my travels through many, many communities, whether in western Queensland, whether in the Arnhem, Yolngu Country, the Pilbara, the Kimberley, the Western and Central Deserts, I’ve seen many social ills but what I’ve seen is things have got worse than what they were 20 and 30 years ago in these communities,” he said.

“In this country we have horrific rates of deaths in custody compared to the rest of the world and to countries of equivalent social wealth.”

“But I follow something my father taught me; that if we can get it right for our Aboriginal brothers and sisters, stand alongside them and support them, we get the justice right for everybody,” Mr Georgatos said.

President of the Indigenous Social Justice Association, Ray Jackson told the crowd the rally was to be interspersed with five two minute periods of silence to make up one minute’s silence for each of the 10 years since TJ’s death.

“If you think two minutes of silence is a long time, try 10 years of silence,” he said.

http://thestringer.com.au/gerry-georgatos-speaks-outside-redfern-police-station-t-j-hickey-rally-2014/#.UzAcks5Anhc

Gerry Georgatos is a journalist, activist and former senate candidate in WA for the Wikileaks Party.

Amazing how Aboriginals and journalists think differently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:40 pm

This post was made by Lone Wolf who is currently on your ignore list. See the message.

Can't be doing with the demented ravings any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:47 pm

“I will not stop till I get what I want,” Ms Hickey said. “I want the plaque on the fence, I want a new inquest to be opened and I want an apology. I will not stop till I get those three things,” she said.

really sums up how completely ridiculous some of their demands are.  the Gov't should put up a plaque for a criminal that died running from police. because a mother demands it, in one of the busiest areas and the boarder of the CBD. how full of plagues would London be if every criminal that died running from police got a plaque.

Completely Ridiculous.

And just so you know more aboriginals think that Mr Georgatos should shut up. Most In Sydney have assimilated (even this morning I was pulled up by an aboriginal policewoman) there are groups of drug and alcohol addicted criminals however that give them all a bad name Mr Georgatos like to stand up for the Alcoholic who is ungrateful for what they are given and always want more, because they are born aboriginal believe they should never have to work and have everything and if anything goes wrong it is not their fault, ever.  Most aboriginals like I said are fine, and people treat them fine, but the Dickheads that Mr Georgatos represents are despised by functional aboriginals and the broader community a like.

You think TJ might have been grateful and not become a crim, after all the house in Surry hills his Mum was given....

http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=buy&searchterm=surry%20hills

Median Prices $1,065,000

Yep giving them 1 Million dollar houses is fucking apartheid  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Veya, really sorry, but your post just about sums up the Australian contempt for Aboriginals.

Thomas 'T.J.' Hickey, a 17-year-old Indigenous Australian, was riding home on his bicycle from his mother's house when he supposedly spotted a police car and believed it was chasing him. There was an outstanding arrest warrant in his name, but police have consistently maintained that the patrol car was searching for a different individual, wanted in connection with a violent bag snatch at Redfern railway station earlier the same day.[citation needed]

Shortly thereafter, Hickey lost control of his bicycle while turning a corner and was impaled in a 2.5-metre high fence, causing penetrating injuries of the neck and chest.[1] According to police, they arrived at the scene quickly, but were unable to save him as "the injury was probably non-survivable."[1]

The Hickey family and supporters fiercely dispute this version of events, claiming that witnesses saw Hickey's bike clipped by the police car, thus propelling him onto the fence. This claim was supported by the testimony of two Aboriginal Liaison Officers to a NSW Parliamentary Inquiry into the death,[2] though neither of the Officers were present at the scene. Despite calls to re-open the coronial inquest, the New South Wales government has refused to do so.[2]

As for the houses, if they were given expensive housing, how come they are paying rent:

http://www.aboriginalaffairs.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Community-Portrait06N-Redfern.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Again they live in a lot better area than me, have had better access to public services than me, they have been given vastly more hand outs than me.

Here the problem like many children of immigrants (First generation) I have grown Up with fuck all and have built a life, they have had so much given to them and some of them continue to piss it all away.
and they pay about $100 rent to their tribe (unless their own tribe has kicked them out!!!) for a property that would rent for over $1000 a week.

And ONLY this family and Drunkard friends dispute the course of event no other witness do, no one else does, the cameras don't!!!

My Contempt is for DICK HEADS we would not let an Anglos get a way with half the Shit we do from a MINORITY OF ABORIGINALS that are absolute dick heads and like ANY of the functional aboriginals will tell you... YOU ARE DAMAGING THE CAUSE OF THE ABORIGINAL THAT HAS GOT JOB AND DOESN'T DO DRUGS by supporting these dick heads.

Sassy why don't you get a plaque put up for every death in London????

And you are Racist!! What they should get EVEN MORE special treatment because they are Aboriginals? I support giving them a hand up but they still need to be responsible for their actions and the groups that have chosen to be criminals can be treated like such. It is Unfair to the aboriginals that has actually got off their ass and done something to group them with the lazy crims that Georgatos represents.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Wow

I now realise what the aboriginal people are up against.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 pm

UN position on Australia's treatment of it's aboriginal people:

A further area of concern, according to the report, is in the treatment of Indigenous Australians.

The report praises moves towards holding a referendum on the recognition of Indigenous Australians in the federal constitution.

However it also criticises federal intervention measures in the Northern Territory.

Lecturer in indigenous policy at the Australian National University, Professor Jon Altman says the assessment of the federal government's treatment of Indigenous Australians is too lenient.

"I think that the rating of C+ is quite generous, but I don't think they've told us much about the ugly things that have happened. And by the ugly things I mean the contravention of the Racial Discrimination Act in the Northern Territory Intervention. and the ongoing support of measures like income management and punitive measures if children don't attend school by stopping people's welfare payments."

Professor Altman says the Stronger Futures initiative implemented in the Northern Territory to address issues of alcohol abuse and truancy should be reason enough to award a lower grade.

"The parliamentary joint committee on human rights in June of this year produced a report looking at Stronger Futures, where they basically say that the Stronger Futures measures certainly are highly problematic in terms of international human rights standards so on the basis of that report alone, I would be thinking a D or F for Australian government's performance in Indigenous affairs."

One of the most notable moments in the Labor government's leadership over the past six years was Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation in 2008.

However Professor Altman says while the move was significant symbolically, it has had limited practical impact.

"Tied to the apology was the Closing the Gap policy framework, which has dominated Indigenous policy discourse and practice since 2008. Looking at the Closing the Gap, and looking at the statistics we get, from the 2006 and 2011 censuses, we find in fact that gaps are not closing, in a number of very important areas and in some areas, like employment, the gaps are actually widening.

Dr Trood from the United Nations Association says there have been several areas of improvement in federal government performance since the previous report in 2007.

"There has been a consistent support for improving the developmental aid over that period of time, the performance on the Security Council is much stronger which reflects I think a greater engagement with the multilateral system in international affairs, the human rights performance is, I think, rather stronger because w'ere now running for a position on the human rights council, which is the first time we've done that. and there's been some significant improvements in relation to gender equality over this period of time."

In practical terms, the actual effect this report will have is unclear.

The barrister Julian Burnside says he thinks it is unlikely to change government behaviour.

"Whether a report like this will have any influence on the present government, I rather doubt. In the past we've had judgements against us in the United Nations Human Rights Committee, condemning Australia for breaches of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, as well as other international conventions. Specifically, we have breached it in our treatment of asylum seekers. But the government looks at that and says 'oh thanks very much for telling us' and then they just keep on doing it."

Professor Altman agrees the report may create some embarrassment for Australia internationally.

He's hoping it's enough to prompt at least some policy changes.

"I think that these sorts of reports and international scrutiny of the Australian government's performance will be extremely important if we're going to see a change in direction."

9 Oct 2013

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/10/09/australia-rates-poorly-federal-policies

They can't all be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

It's nice to know that Australians are such gentlemen.   Real credit to your country.
Really know how to hold a debate in a reasoned manner.

What was it you got your degree in - dementia?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 am

Lets ask some other Brits hey

IF Scrougers (we call the dole bludgers) we're letting there kids stay home from school so they could drink and do drugs would you
A. Take them away to foster care
B. threaten Financial punishments such as cutting welfare payments to parents.
C. Nothing
D. Give them more money and no consequence for not raising their children.

And Sassy
your attitude causes this, you know so little it is fucking retarded it is people like you that fucked them up with your stupid British ideas in the first place.
a number of very important areas and in some areas, like employment, the gaps are actually widening.
Maybe because apologists are rewarding bad and good behaviours equally! maybe because You take away the motivation and gains of the Aboriginals that ACTUALLY STUDIED AND WORKED AND GOT SOMEWHERE by giving the guy they watched do Absolutely nothing the same as them.
Why is anyone going to work when the see they guy that does nothing but Drink all day and see him getting hand outs Equal to what other people are working hard for 40 hours a week for.
You want to give them wealth from a Magic Money Pit as you are giving no ideas on how to pay for any of it. I want to give them motivation I want to give them hope and a future, and if I can only give it to one I am going to give it to guy that TRIES. The Drug addicted lay abouts can get fucked, they get their dole payment and have been given countless opportunities to improve their eduction and to get off the drugs and alcohol they have chosen not to take them, they have no right to ask for any more.  I work in Education So YES I can Say there are plenty of Aboriginal kids that try we should give them the resources they need to get ahead, then they can also help us bring others up, giving it to an alcoholic is just throwing good money away.

And the UN thing about the NT solution was again Aussies saying you guys are dick heads because they UN had just told us to do something about the child rape and huge drug and alcohol problems, so we did and now they say its racist.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 am

As I said, I now know what the Aboriginal people are up against.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 am

Lone Wolf wrote:Rolling Eyes    SASSY has really lost the plot this month :
* a couple of weeks ago she supported the rights of girls and women to be sexually exploited through pornography and prostitution ~ as long as they do it as part of proudly expressing their sexuality (!) ~ and then tried to label me as "sexually repressed" when I protested against such exploitation;

POST THE THREAD YOU TOSSER, THAT IS NOT WHAT WAS SAID

* on the Mayasian airline threads, Sassy has deliberately spread lies across there in her ongoing attempts to attack Australia and its people; and virtually derailed those threads a couple of times with her endless and irrelevant c&p'ing;

I NOTICE YOU HAVEN'T MANAGED TO PUT SAID LIES ON THE LOST AIRCRAFT THREAD, COWARD.   POSTING WHAT WAS GOING ON AS IT WAS GOING ON COULD NEVER BE TERMED DERAILING A THREAD.   HOWEVER, YOU RANTS CERTAINLY COULD

* and now on here, she keeps on rehashing her endless litanies of lies, many of her referenced stories a decade or three old, simply to have a different swipe again at the Australian people !

How much more pathetically deranged can that madwoman get before she finally implodes ?    bom

AND THAT IS JUST SHEER RUBBISH.   THEY ARE PIECES WRITTEN BY ABORIGINAL WRITERS AND THE UN.   ONE REFERRED TO SOMETHING FROM A FEW YEARS AGO BECAUSE IT WAS RELEVANT

YOU ARE AN IGNORANT FOOL, WHO OBVIOUSLY STUDIED HOW TO MAKE HIMSELF LOOK STUPID IN COLLEGE AND GOT AN A+

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 am

Sassy wrote:As I said, I now know what the Aboriginal people are up against.

Yep Dick head racist from England Trying to paint them all like the lowlife scum.

Your all Heart for the dickheads but you have none for the the People that are actually working.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:56 am

You know what Veya, that's exactly what people like Smelly Bandit and Big Andy say, practically word for word.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:02 am

If you can Forget race for a second answer this

If Parents we're letting there kids stay home from school so they could drink and do drugs would you?
A. Take them away to foster care
B. threaten Financial punishments such as cutting welfare payments to parents.
C. Nothing
D. Give them more money and no consequence for not raising their children.

YES Sassy except they are talking about taking away payments I am saying they are already getting payments they don't need more, AND I am saying that maybe we should give Scholarships to the aboriginal kids that have studied and got themselves into Uni as opposed to giving a criminal more money to spend on drugs. If they are not going to try we cant help, them and even if they try they will still need out help. SO Stop looking at the dickhead that doesn't want to try and lets focus on the person asking for our help!!!
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:05 am

Support them in keeping the kids under control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next