NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money

2 posters

Go down

The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money Empty The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:00 pm

The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money
The rich get richer not because they work hardest, but thanks to their stupendous resources, productive assets and property

Every now and again, some appalling new statistics come out. Twelve rich people have more wealth than the entire population of three continents. One repellent American family spends more on foie gras than African countries spend on HIV medicine. And so on. I embellish, but not by much. Such astounding figures, the orders of magnitude, defy a sensible response. What does one do with such information?

Today's statistics from Oxfam fall into the same category: the five richest families in Britain have more wealth than 12.6 million Britons put together. Next to such staggering realities, Oxfam's proposed response is strikingly mild. Close tax loopholes, support a living wage, consider a wealth tax. These are decent enough measures in themselves, but it would be useful just occasionally to break down the social meaning of such information, and work out a response on that basis.

Oxfam's figures are essentially about the class system. They are more enlightening than usual, because they focus on wealth rather than income streams. Even so, the status of such figures is not clear.

First, because there is a difference between the wealth of the poorest, which largely consists of the things they need to survive (above all their home), and that of the richest, which largely consists of liquid assets and luxuries. Second, because much wealth is effectively hidden: the super-rich often stay well out of sight, rather than parading themselves and their gains.

One effect of widespread tax avoidance is precisely that much of the wealth is simply not registered by official data. This is particularly the case for inherited wealth. In all likelihood, the structure of wealth ownership is far more polarised than the statistics suggest. However, wealth inequality is not in and of itself the class system; it is, rather, one of its outcomes, a snapshot of a process that we really need to understand in its totality. Like a bodily symptom, growing inequality is an outcome, a manifestation, of processes that go much deeper.

Why should the rich perpetually get richer? According to the dominant ideology, getting rich is a reward for hard work and the intelligent disposal of resources. But this is a crude morality tale that infers moral rectitude from market success. Even if it were true that the rich are hard working, this wouldn't distinguish them from most people who lack the proverbial pot to micturate in.

Look instead at the five families identified by Oxfam. The greatest advantage enjoyed by these people over anyone else is not their ability to work, nor their intelligence or effort. It is the measure of strategic control they exert over the assets, productive apparatuses and markets through which the production and ownership of wealth is organised. They either possess property, own factories or dominate commercial markets. This isn't a moral fact, but a social relationship backed up by legal and political coercion. Those who control the means of production get to appropriate the surplus wealth produced through its use, regardless of who actually produced it. And because capitalism is a dynamic, expanding system for most of the time, the amount of surplus wealth they can appropriate keeps growing too. The rich get richer.

There are, moreover, certain features of the neoliberal era that impact on the form taken by class dominance. In neoliberal times, with property-driven speculation keeping the City of London riding high, the value of property in London has doubled in value to £1.24tr in the past decade. It is therefore predictable that the family of the Duke of Westminster, the Reuben Brothers and the Cadogan Family, all acquire a significant amount of their wealth from the ownership of prime real estate, where the highest-end commerce is based.

Another aspect of the neoliberal era has been the growing dependency of leading capitalist economies on speculation and debt. This is not simply a case of a few naughty bankers; it is a system in which the majority of people are incorporated, whether buying a house or a new car, or paying off student loans. Most people have become dependent on debt to some extent, while "the 1%" live off speculation on the debt. One result of this, it was found in 2007, is that the top 10% of Americans possessed 80% of all financial assets, while the bottom 90% held 73% of all debt. Unsurprisingly, much of the wealth held by these richest families is held in financial assets.

Ownership of wealth is simply one indicator, one aspect of a relationship of class dominance. And therefore, whatever happens to Oxfam's proposals, the question posed by such staggering statistics as it has shocked us with today is: why should so few people control such stupendous resources, productive assets and property? What advantage is there to a society in allowing them to have it? And how might we relieve them of it?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/17/five-richest-families-prove-theory-money

It doesn't matter how many times people kid themselves about working hard and getting a good life, the facts speak for themselves, it's just not true.

Back to top Go down

The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money Empty Re: The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 pm

100% death tax over 500,000

Back to top Go down

The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money Empty Re: The 5 richest families in Britain prove the theory that money follows money

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 pm

cheers 

Can you imagine the screams  affraid lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 pm

I can indeed....and the excuses

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Everyone went on about how 'normal' William and Kate were, now look at them, huge makeover of their apartments doubled in cost and we are paying for it, and the most expensive holidays galore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Sassy wrote:Everyone went on about how 'normal' William and Kate were, now look at them, huge makeover of their apartments doubled in cost and we are paying for it, and the most expensive holidays galore.

I've never said they were "normal". You'd think they'd try to be a bit more sensitive and sensible really as they had relatively normal lives before they were married. As usual, being "royal" will go to their heads.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:10 pm

I've never said they were 'normal' either Rags, but some did and were saying how they were going to be an inspiration. Well, inspiration on how to spend money and live the high life!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Sassy wrote:I've never said they were 'normal' either Rags, but some did and were saying how they were going to be an inspiration.   Well, inspiration on how to spend money and live the high life!

I know what you mean. They haven't inspired me yet though.  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 pm

In fact, I prefer Pippa Middleton to Kate - at least she's amusing.  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I have never got the public's reverence for the royal family.   They are people, nothing more, nothing less.   My Dad got the OBE years ago, you are allowed to take two people, he took my Mum and my Nan, he knew there was no way I'd curtsey to anyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Sassy wrote:I have never got the public's reverence for the royal family.   They are people, nothing more, nothing less.   My Dad got the OBE years ago, you are allowed to take two people, he took my Mum and my Nan, he knew there was no way I'd curtsey to anyone!

Yes, I agree. I suppose people like to have someone to look up to, even though they're no better than anyone else. I quite liked Diana because she was more "human" in some respects, and I don't mind the Queen or Charles.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm

I'd rather look up to someone who has made a difference in the world, but thats me.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Sassy wrote:I'd rather look up to someone who has made a difference in the world, but thats me.

Surely but you are being vague or struggling with English grammar

you meant to say " I would rather someone look up to me, as I have made a difference in the world because I am me....."

because you have............................................. I love you
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 pm

gerber wrote:
Sassy wrote:I'd rather look up to someone who has made a difference in the world, but thats me.

Surely but you are being vague or struggling with English grammar

you meant to say " I would rather someone look up to me, as I have made a difference in the world because I am me....."

because you have............................................. I love you

Only just noticed this, how nice Gerbs and I bet you have as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down