NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks?

Go down

Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks? Empty Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm

17th March 2014

Whenever I see a "racist attack" in the news, it's usually a fight or argument between a British person and a foreigner over something, as in the story below.

Are racist attacks what they seem to be, or are they attacks over something (normal stupid human behaviour) with a few words thrown in because of the heat of the moment?

Please discuss.

The father of Chelsea captain John Terry headbutted and racially abused an Asian man in a drunken row over a cigarette, a court heard today (MON). Ted Terry, 59, was wearing a jacket bearing the insignia of West Ham FC when he attacked Amarjit Talafair and called him a 'f***ing Paki', jurors were told. He then allegedly confronted a black train station cleaner and threatened him with a bottle while shouting: 'I will smash it over your head you black c**t.' Terry and his friends Tudor Musteata, a 47-year-old Russian, and Stephen Niland, 36, had been drinking for several hours before the confrontation, the court heard.

http://www.courtnewsuk.co.uk/newsgallery/#sthash.UiAa9sB0.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks? Empty Re: Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks?

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:02 pm

I think you'd have to know more about the person before you could really say. I will say that for myself, if I'm angry at someone of another race, I will still strenuously avoid using racial slurs, for a few reasons. Practically speaking, that is only going to make the situation 10 times worse and possibly turn it into a physical altercation. Also, I want the person to know I'm angry with them because of how they're acting, not because I disagree with their choice to not share my skin coloring  ::D:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks? Empty Re: Racist Attacks - Are They Racist Attacks?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think you'd have to know more about the person before you could really say. I will say that for myself, if I'm angry at someone of another race, I will still strenuously avoid using racial slurs, for a few reasons. Practically speaking, that is only going to make the situation 10 times worse and possibly turn it into a physical altercation. Also, I want the person to know I'm angry with them because of how they're acting, not because I disagree with their choice to not share my skin coloring  ::D:: 

All good points Ben, I can't disagree with any of that, but maybe that's because we're sat at a computer, relaxed.

What I say about the majority of news items I see still stands though - they don't seem to start because of someone's skin colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I think you'd have to know more about the person before you could really say. I will say that for myself, if I'm angry at someone of another race, I will still strenuously avoid using racial slurs, for a few reasons. Practically speaking, that is only going to make the situation 10 times worse and possibly turn it into a physical altercation. Also, I want the person to know I'm angry with them because of how they're acting, not because I disagree with their choice to not share my skin coloring  ::D:: 

All good points Ben, I can't disagree with any of that, but maybe that's because we're sat at a computer, relaxed.

What I say about the majority of news items I see still stands though - they don't seem to start because of someone's skin colour.

Or they're at least ambiguous, which is one of the big problems in hate crimes laws. I think that a lot more information is needed before you can say that a simple attack and some slurs yelled equals a hate crime.

Rachel Maddow (U.S. political pundit) described the distinction well -- it's the difference between an everyday attack and an attack that's meant to intimidate not just the victim, but a community that victim represents. I think in most cases we can determine the difference.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down