NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

3 posters

Go down

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.  Empty HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 am

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/australias-longest-stick-insect-found-near-cairns/story-fnjfzs4b-1226851062539

Scientists from the Museum of Victoria have rediscovered Australia’s longest stick insect near Cairns, during an expedition into the rainforest in January.

Measuring half a metre long, the insect is only the third female Gargantuan Stick Insect (Ctenomorpha gargantua) specimen to ever be found.

Museum Victoria live exhibits keeper Maik Fiedel said the insect, dubbed ‘‘Lady Gaga-ntuan’’, was the Holy Grail of stick insects, with entomologists searching the rainforest high and low since the initial discovery of a large female specimen in 2005.

“Compared with other large stick insects, it’s like discovering a person who is almost 3m tall,’’ he said.

Stick insects have evolved to be extremely well camouflaged.

Mr Fiedel said it could take up to 20 minutes to find the animals on a small plant.

He said the strangest thing about Lady Gaga-ntuan, however, was that the insect had managed to stay hidden for so long despite its size.

“One theory is that it lives in the canopy of the rainforest,’’ he said.

“It’s likely Lady Gaga-ntuan fell from the canopy after a strong gust of wind.”

Since its collection, the long-limbed lady has died, however she still managed to lay 12 eggs which were expected to hatch in coming months.

The insects usually live for nine-12 months, suggesting Lady Gaga-ntuan was naturally near the end of her life at the time of her capture.

Her body is now part of the museum’s entomology collection, and will be the subject of future studies.

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.  061924-9dc0ef84-a813-11e3-b9af-c51380e50fb4
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.  Empty Re: HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:42 am

Holy shit, that name reminds me of some of the pseudonyms our beloved Texas roller-derby girls use ...  ::D:: (Nasty Pelosi, Eva Destruction, Jabba the Slut, Smashley Simpson, etc.)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.  Empty Re: HER name is Lady Gaga-ntuan and she was definitely born this way.

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

we have roller derby girls here, in Sydney and i know Wollongong has a good team too. One of my friends from high school is into it in a big way. I went and watched them play Wollongong  Cool 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Yeah, I need to head down to Austin, visit my friend there and see if she'll go with me to a match Smile

On the OP, though -- when does a stick bug become a "branch bug?" Damn.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down